RC Competitor

MERV antenna length - Cut or Not to cut

Hi All,

I am rebuilding my MERV and have a seen some of the pics out there which have a very small antenna i.e. about 2"-3" fixed to receiver box. I think the idea is to have it covered by the body and not show it sticking out.

I have a full length antenna and would like to know if I can cut it short.
    My questions are as follows:
    1. Does it affect the performance i.e. signal strenth or distance. If it is a problem than I dont want to cut it
    2. If cutting it short is OK then what is the right way to do it. I have a long wire sticking out of the receiver box, do I cut the wire also or just wrap it up into the box and stick the remaining part into the shortened antenna.
    3. Is there a step by step guide out there.

Thanks

do not cut the wire

RC Competitor
    the short antenna's are for the 2.4ghz radio's and the long one are from the 27mhz radio's . i dont know if making the antenna tube shorter will affect the performance

RC Competitor
    I have the 2.4ghz radio.
    Noted that I cannot cut the wire.
    Can you cut the antenna down to a smaller size. If yes, what is recommended size.
    Also should I wrap the wire and put it inside the recever box. Suggestions???

RC Qualifier
    I run my 2.4 with just the metal end exposed in the tube and the rest of the wire tucked inside the radio box. never have range issues.
    MERV VXL + Rally VXL + Stampede Xl5

You can make an antenna tube with a length so that it fits right under the body and put the end of the antenna wire in it and put what is left of the wire in the receiver box.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Don't cut the 2.4 ghz wire. The top of the antenna has some metal thing that shouldn't be cut. Coil up the rest of the wire in the receiver box and use the short antenna tubing. It's something you don't mess with and the small antenna hidden under the body looks nicer
    HPI Vorza | Traxxas Summit | 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i had mine (2.4ghz) cut accidentally right at the end of the metal tube by flipping over without the lid but i found a sollution to regaine its signal back.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Qualifier
    you can go short and just under the body shell

the rest like peter is saying you put into the rx box

but dont cut the wire

lisen to Peter his advise
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    I would just get the 2.4 ghz

RC Qualifier
    But hammer, the 2.4 on the brushed slash and merv has the long antenna on the rx.

Has anyone with the brushed version with the long Antenna had any reception problems when putting the excess black wire in the rx box and shortening the blue tube to hide under the body?

Oops I meant to say, "the 2.4ghz comes with the brushed merv, but it also comes with the long antenna"

Does anyone know why the brushed merv has the long antenna when the brushless merv does not? Both are 2.4ghz
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-09-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Even the new vxl brushless has the long antenna tube.
    The key word here is "tube"
    YES...you can cut the tube down shorter...but DO NOT alter the length of the antenna itself.
    As was mentioned above...just coil the excess wire up inside the receiver box.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    That's interesting. My merv vxl I got 2 yrs ago had a short tube. Wonder why they made the switch?

Anyways, thx for replying.

RC poster
    Hi

As discussed in other posts, Traxxas is now shipping a 71074 model, as opposed to the older 7107 model.

As strange as it may seems, the old 7107 model came with TQi controller and short antenna. The new 71074 model comes with a TQ (not TQi) controller and a long antenna, which can be shortened with no problem, though.

I have both the 7107 and 71074 model and the 71074 model has a TQ reciever also.

RC Qualifier
    Can any experts out there guess why traxxas would elongate the tube on a newer merv model, knowing that 10/10 people would prefer not to have a goofy tube sticking out of their roof??

RC Competitor
    I just asked this in reply to another post and my reply was deleted. As much as this has been discussed one would hope Traxxas is listening

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    Can any experts out there guess why traxxas would elongate the tube on a newer merv model, knowing that 10/10 people would prefer not to have a goofy tube sticking out of their roof??
    I think they need the long antenna for range. We cut my brothers tube short and it isn't much better than a 27 MHz radio

RC poster
    RZSmerv, interesting note you have, saying that your post was deleted.

I had a similar post regarding the 7107/71074 model including an answer from Traxxas support just stating that the long antenna was needed for range on the new 71074 model. The post got many replies, as many others had the same experience of buying a new Traxxas model and got a TQ controller and a long antenna.

The post got deleted. I even have a post where I ask where my post has gone.

Were they censored away?

RC Competitor
    my son's car with the short antenna can go so far away that I can not see it - so I dont think its a range issue - at least not with the tqi

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RZSmerv View Post
    my son's car with the short antenna can go so far away that I can not see it - so I dont think its a range issue - at least not with the tqi
    Ditto.

Makes you wonder even more why they'd change something that no one ever complained about.

Other than the user 2 posts up (which is VERY interesting to say the least), has anyone else had success cutting their tube and experiencing 'tqi like' unlimited range?

Guys it is fairly obvious the new radio is not the TQi. Why they went to the new radio we can only guess but clearly it is not the same as the TQi and apparently it needs the longer receiver antenna to keep the range.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    i think thats where we are confused though Dad. Both the TQ and the TQi are '2.4ghz'. Why would the range differ for both? Why/how can the TQi with the SMALLER antenna provide greater range than that with the longer antenna?

There is a lot more to range than just antenna length.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

How long is the antenna with the TQ 3 channel anyone have a measurement?
    I have 3 TQI (#6518) receivers that the antenna measures 10 Ĺ inches. Curious as to the difference in length.
    As with any receiver if I want the best possible range I leave the tube long and use all the antenna I can above the body. If Iím just bashing and donít need all the range I curl the antenna up inside the rx box and use a short tube.

No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by wfburton159 View Post
    I think they need the long antenna for range. We cut my brothers tube short and it isn't much better than a 27 MHz radio
    These results corroborate mine as well.

As mentioned by others, it is clear the 'newer' 2.4ghz rx/tx is a whole nother 'beast' than the phenomenal system before it.

RC Champion
    Makes me like my Flysky GT3C even more.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I still have my 2218 receiver with antenna wire cut from flipping over. I have two and both wires are cut.

Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 05-19-2013 at 12:38 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertron2000 View Post
    I would just get the 2.4 ghz
    Agreed. TQi all the way! Note: Be very very careful with the wire. It can break easily. Put the wire to where it just fills the tube (the short one) and cap that. Done.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier

Naw that's not a very good argument (unless your rich). . When you are buying a 300$+ for a Brushless kit, you shouldn't have to spend an additonal 60$ for the rx/tx that came with the model 2 yrs ago.

I am still hesitant to recommend the TQi to anyone... it seems there are some electrical gremlins that are still being worked out if you visit the radio section of this forum.

I am still hesitant to recommend the TQi to anyone... it seems there are some electrical gremlins that are still being worked out if you visit the radio section of this forum.
    I'm only seeing threads in which people dropped them, etc.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quite a few have gotten deleted due to the thread becoming a Traxxas bash fest and not in a good way.

Here are some that I found in just the first two pages:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-during-a-run.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...es-not-turn-on
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...irmware-2.0.44
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...83278-TQI-Dead......

RC Racer

Thumbs up

hmmm. makes me wonder about the new radios being shipped, they dropped the -i and added a huge antenna to the receiver. perhaps this is in response to TQi issues. overall, the percentage is likely very low, but on a huge number of units sold that small percent becomes a large enough number to call for a design update.

perhaps the 71074 is in fact a blessing in its stripped down disguise. I'll blame the MSRP increase on the lousy economy we got here in the states.
    MERV - 3S 23/50