Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Finally narrowed a set of wheels

So I bought a set of mudslingers for my summit and I was trying to find the Axial Rockster narrow wheels and couldn't find a set. So I bought a set of Axial eight hole wheels. Turns out cause they were so wide, they made the sidewalls bulge out and look kinda weird. They also rubbed real bad on the tie rods and a arms. So I decided to try to narrow them. Tell me what you think.
    Here they are after I cut them and JB Weled them together.

Then I bought some of theses (M2X20mm)

Then on the back where they were cut, I drilled the hole deeper in the rim and screwed the two halves together also with the M2X20mm screws.

This is how much I cut out.

And here is the finished product. WAY nicer looking and should work better to.

Hers a couple pics of them mounted.

RC Competitor
    Perfect! Truly one-of-a-kind rims. How hard was it to cut the wheels straight? I have some eight hole rims that are a little too wide.

RC Qualifier
    Excellent!

RC Qualifier
    I bought the same wheels but in block crome and they are real wide and rubbed bad as well. I actually looked into hub extensions. But if your wheels hold up I may look into that. How much were the screws?

RC Racer
    very good idea

i have the same problem with my axials on my Rock Crusher....

please, how much did you cut exactly?
    Summit & E-Maxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I bought the same wheels but in block crome and they are real wide and rubbed bad as well. I actually looked into hub extensions. But if your wheels hold up I may look into that. How much were the screws?
    I paid $17 shipped for the 48 screws.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Hawk View Post
    very good idea

i have the same problem with my axials on my Rock Crusher....

please, how much did you cut exactly?
    I will measure how much I cut out and let you know, but all I did was cut the outer bead off, then I cut right on the second ridge on the wheel. I just put a bolt through the rims with some washers and tightened a nut to hold it tight and put the rims in a drill press and cut them with a utility knife while they were spinning in the drill. It made a very strait and clean cut.
    And thank you for the comments.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerhouse View Post
    Perfect! Truly one-of-a-kind rims. How hard was it to cut the wheels straight? I have some eight hole rims that are a little too wide.
    They were surprisingly easy to cut. See previous post for how I did it.

Very good solution.i hope they hold up.
    That would open the door to more rim options.Nice work

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I think they should hold up. They're JB welded inside and and outside and then there's 12 screws holding them together to. I was a little nervous cutting up brand new rims, but after I did the first one I realized it was pretty easy to do.

RC Racer
    Could you post some pics of how u cut them exactly with the drill and all. Sorry, visual learner here lol
    IfYouCan'tRunWithTheBigDogs,StayOnThePorch

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz summit View Post
    Could you post some pics of how u cut them exactly with the drill and all. Sorry, visual learner here lol
    I don't have any pics of when I cut them. But I'll try to explain in detail. I found a bolt about 6" long, that fit inside the hole in the middle of the wheel with minimal slop. Then I put some washers on each side of the wheel, put the bolt through and tightened a nut down on it. The bolt went through the back side of the wheel. So the long end was sticking through the front. I then clamped the bolt in a drill press so the wheel can spin around. Then all I did was take a utility knife with a new blade and held it on the wheel where I wanted to cut it. The first cut I made I cut off the back bead lock part of the wheel. The next one was on the second ridge in, that the Axial wheels have. I'm guessing I cut off about 3/4". You can make surprisingly perfect cuts with this method. Just make sure the wheel is spinning AWAY from the knife when you cut it or the knife will just jam into the wheel. Good luck, cutting them really was easiest part of the whole project. It only took about 20-30 seconds to make each cut.

RC Qualifier
    Do a search for seller mjmnational on eBay they have have a decent selection of stainless cap screws for cheap 50 screws for under 8 bucks. (depending on size obviously) they even send a couple extra over your order quantity incase you lose some I was very impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Wow... awesome idea Tmaxxed, I liked the idea so much I just had to do it to my rims aswell. Was going to do it using the lathe but notice a request for a video of the proccess you used so here it is. Thanks again Tmaxxed.

RC Racer
    What tires are those... Look sweet!!

The tires are rc4wd mudslingers

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    the rims came out great and look awesome on the truck

RC Qualifier
    I was kinda wondering who all has tried this and did theirs hold up to some good abuse?

RC poster
    Sweet job on the wheels, The video is good. I Like that Idea. I have been thinking of doing the same thing to a set for my summit.

RC Racer
    How are the narrowed wheels holding up? I have the wheels and want to do this soon. I would feel better about doing it if I knew that I could expect them to hold up.
    Tekno wing mount, Pro-Line wing, Maximizer X-75s, and Maxx Mashers.

Funny you should ask just ran today.
    Nostopin was running his with the roc locks zero issues so far

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I seen someone do this back early summer and was skeptical my self. Jb weld and screws??????? So I waited a few months to wait for some feedback to. I didn't hear anything back and was scared to cut up 80 bucks in wheels but I got fed up with not being able to run my new tires so I took the plunge. My thought was I cant sell them and cant take them back so why not try and make them work.
    I'm extremely hard on my summit and don't mind showing ppl their durability. Weather its at the skate park or a parking lot or even in the mud or woods. I honestly didn't think they would hold up but they have. Even the 15 foot accidental drops and trees and big rocks. even binding the tires and breaking a drive axle and still have broke a wheel.
    Sense I've done the wheels I've gone threw 2 axles, 2 serves, 3 front bumper mounts, 2 light harnesses, 1 front body mount, and a half dozen bearings. Like I said I put my summit threw a lot. I hope this helps and I hope the other people have had as good of luck as I have.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

Rpm bumper mounts? if you are breaking those you gotta be realllllly trying lol If you haven't tried them...
    You should.
    I'm pretty hard on my truck and the rpm are pretty much unbreakable far as I can tell

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Rpm bumper mounts? if you are breaking those you gotta be realllllly trying lol If you haven't tried them...
    You should.
    I'm pretty hard on my truck and the rpm are pretty much unbreakable far as I can tell

Sent using lipo power

I just bought a rpm front mount on Tuesday. Lol.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Enthusiast
    man they look good

Did axial discontinue the narrow bead-locks like that? Or are they just impossible to get a hold of?
    I love the finished look of those.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

All the narrow beadlocks are listed as discontinued or not available.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Booerns that's a great look.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    When I did mine I took 3/4 of a inch out and didn't like how wide they were so I ended up taking 1 inch and it looks way better.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Competitor
    Sorry I haven't been on this thread for awhile. I started it then kinda forgot about it. If anyone is wondering, my narrowed wheels have given me zero problems. I have lots and lots of runtime on them and I have really abused them hard. I've done some pretty good sized jumps and hit things with the tires at good speed. Been 5 months and no problems. By the way, I'm thinking of cutting out the small lug on my Mudslingers. I've heard they perform better this way. Anyone have opinions on this? What's the best way to cut them? Just use some side cutters? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Have you cut the foams? Or tried running without foams?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
    By the way, I'm thinking of cutting out the small lug on my Mudslingers. I've heard they perform better this way. Anyone have opinions on this? What's the best way to cut them? Just use some side cutters? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    I've been wanting to do the same to mine. I want a little more grip. I have my foams star cut and narrowed and the flex nice but like to spin over obstacles instead of crawling over them.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Competitor
    I do have my foams star cut. Does it really improve the performance to cut the tire?
    NOTErized!

RC poster
    I was wondering what type of jb weld you used?

RC Competitor
    Just the standard 2 part jb weld.

NOTErized!

RC Qualifier
    Use the fast dry. The 5 min stuff. I ran out and used the regular stuff and it took two days for it to fully setup. I also put weights on my wheels to help them compress and line up. After they set up I drilled the holes out.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Wow that idea/video of cutting the wheels is so simple! I was thinking, "did he just put them in a vice, and saw them!? How did he keep it so straight.... maybe a jigsaw... hmmm how on Earth did he do it!?" Haha I r dumb.

Awesome that they hold up too, as I imagine they would but experience trumps all!

RC Competitor
    I'm in the process of gluing my Axial eight hole rims. I cut about 3/4 inch out of the center. When you do cut the wheel, be sure to leave 1/4 of the inner rim to line up the other half and use a hose clamp to keep things lined up. I didn't crank down on the hose clamp, just enough to keep it straight. Be sure you cut the outer lip off first, then the set amount of rim you want to cut off. Example; 3/4". I know its obvious, but some of us like to get carried away.

I wish I had tried this before I sold my rims...I feel I lost out. Nice work guys on the mod. Thanks for sharing.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    so i could do this with these rims to ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/330718681075...84.m1423.l2648

thanks for any reply.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.