RC Racer

is this sound normal

Whenever I hit the throttle there is a high pitched squeal from the truck. It doesn't sound like anything
    mechanical IE; gears, or anything like that. It sounds more like an electrical squeal, dont know if that makes sense but thats what it sounds like to me. Is this normal for the Summit?
    I play til something breaks

RC Qualifier
    Only thing I can think of is your slipper clutch, check it to make sure its not to lose which can make a squealing sound.
    Other than that or something binding you are going to have to wait for someone who can trouble shoot from Sound.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Do you hear the sound when you gradually roll the throttle on?? or Do you only hear it when you nail it from a standstill? When my slipper started going south, I initially heard it only when I gunned the throttle. I adjusted it and the noise went away for a while, but I went ahead and ordered the HD slipper. Once she started again, I went ahead and changed it out.

The Kid
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Racer
    Mine made a noise like your describing from the motor. I soaked it with Electrical Contact Cleaner ran a couple batts through it and it went away
    Slash, Ken Block Fiesta
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Racer
    I hear it anytime im on the throttle. I usually roll gradually. Dont really floor it. QUOTE=Mayberry Kid;5257957]Do you hear the sound when you gradually roll the throttle on?? or Do you only hear it when you nail it from a standstill? When my slipper started going south, I initially heard it only when I gunned the throttle. I adjusted it and the noise went away for a while, but I went ahead and ordered the HD slipper. Once she started again, I went ahead and cha

The Kid[/QUOTE]

Try lubing the bushings at either end of the motor. Sound go away?dry bushings will cause a squealing sound as well as a slipper clutch issue

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    It might be one of three things. The motor makes a high pitch noise at all times when going forward or backwards. It's just like a screw gun. The other would be the the slipper clutch not adjusted right as "The Kid" pointed out. The last one would be the bushings at either end of the motor starving for lube as Jamann pointed out.
    I would lift your summit off the ground and prop it up and take the body off and slowly pull the trigger on your TX and try and see if you can hear the noise. If you hear the noise the its prob coming from motor. Bushings or motor. If u don't then hold the wheels firmly and give slow throttle and see if you hear the noise don't let the tires spin. If you do them it would be the clutch. Don't give it full throttle when your holding the wheels so they won't spin vie u may break something.

RC Racer
    Thanks for your input. I just wonder if its normal for any of those things to be wrong with a brand new summit. I think it was making that sound out of the box

RC Competitor
    Mine does the same thing, Same sound same time. I just figured i would worrie about it when something broke. I figure it is the motor. I have ran mine for about a week pretty hard nothing has broke yet. If it is the slipper they are not hard to repair.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxray757 View Post
    Whenever I hit the throttle there is a high pitched squeal from the truck. It doesn't sound like anything
    mechanical IE; gears, or anything like that. It sounds more like an electrical squeal, dont know if that makes sense but thats what it sounds like to me. Is this normal for the Summit?
    I think what you described is the high pitched sound due to the PWM (Pulse-width modulation) control of the motor. Depending on the switching frequency you can either hear a high pitched sound or not if PWM control is used, for example in modern trams, electric trains, decoder in model trains, RC ESC & motors, etc. Perfectly normal. You can hear at (very) low speeds, then other mechanical sounds (i.e. transmission gears, etc) become louder and suppress it.