Thread: Wheel search.

RC Competitor

Wheel search.

So I've been trawling the net for different tire/rim combos, and I'm sure this is breaking the aftermarket items rule, but..

I want a good set of on-road's, a good set of track tires, and maybe a set of full on off-road/bashing tires.

For the on-road set I've decided on the ProLine Road Rages' on the Traxxas Geode's.

For the tack I would like the ProLine Caliber VTR's, and want to use the plain old white racing dishes, or the ProLine Desperado 1/2 offset's.

And for the off-road/bashing set I am fairly happy with the Talon's on the standard 17mm Gemini rims so far.

Now, obviously all these need to be taped and balanced for best outcome...but I noticed that I can get tires with banding on the inside (designed specifically to target ballooning) for my 18R and Rustler. Can I get such a things for my EBRE?

Also, is there a beed locking set of rims that fit the Traxxas beed? Say for the off-road set. or something more subtle for the track set?

Prolly a personal choice thing, so it's prolly a stupid thing to ask. Oh well, i joined for your collective opinion and vast knowledge.

All suggestions welcome
    Last edited by Deisel; 08-09-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks!

road tyres: I run Road Rage 3.8's on Despararos 1/2" offset rims as my road tyres
    track tyres: I run Response Pro 3.8's on Geode rims
    bashing tyre: I run GT2 3.8's on Maximizer 1/2" offset beadlock rims

These combos work well for the way and places I use my truck. What ever you choose make sure to gorilla tape them...makes a world of difference. I am sure others will give you their opinions too.

You have probably seen this before, here you go anyway:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-with-pictures
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 08-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    For the road I prefer the older 40 series style Road Rage - they have a stiffer sidewall and less sidewall bulge. That or HPI Phaltlines over the new 3.8 stuff. But if you like the look of the 3.8 on Desperados - get them - don't over think this. lol

VTR tires are awesome. But they won't fit on Desperado rims because the VTR are 4" and Desperados are 3.8" diameter. If you want a pin style tire on the Desperado, go with Traxxas Response Pro or Ofna Hyper ST tires (same mounting bead as Traxxas tires). But I happen to like the plain white dish rims.

There are no belted tires for the ERBE (as in Maxx, MT, LPR, VTR, 3.2, 3.8, 40 series, blah, blah, blah sizes).

The beadlocks out there are not designed for a Traxxas style bead, but you can still use a 40 series beadlock with them. Just shove the bead in and tighten down.

Avoid all premounts and tape all your tires to prevent ballooning.

RC Competitor
    Wooh, thanks guys. Bit of a bummer about the pre-belted tires...but I guess taping would possibly do a better job.

So the VTR's fit the (ProLine) racing dishes, Dean? Or another rim all together. I will have a look at the other tires when I get a chance at work today.

Well, I will do some ordering next fortnight.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Deisel -

Don't worry, taping tires is pretty simple. And for the VTR tires, they fit Proline's VTR rims.

You got PM.

RC Competitor
    Went to the LHS yesterday to get some Road Rages' and some Desperado 1/2 off-set's. But they had no 1/2 off-set's Being super eager to get the RR's on the truck I went with the zero off-set (also I was permitted by the cook to spend money). So all I need to get tomorrow, unless our local hardware store is open 'til 9pm, is some Gorilla tape. And about 2 hours of reading the taping thread..

*cough* If anyone could drop that link here *cough*

Thanks

Here you go mate...post #30

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4908845

The whole thread is full of valuable info.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Here you go mate...post #30

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4908845

The whole thread is full of valuable info.
    Thanks heaps!

Would Alcohol wipes do the job for the cleaning? If so, I have a rubbish load of them at work that we will never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    Thanks heaps!

Would Alcohol wipes do the job for the cleaning? If so, I have a rubbish load of them at work that we will never use.
    No worries...Alcohol wipes should be fine. Good luck and have fun taping your tyres.
    Rock n Rolla !

where is my most keep going LOL......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    where is my most keep going LOL......
    what did you say? lol

RC Competitor
    I'll post the finished product here. But the fun stuff is in my original post - http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ted-to-Monster

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ very sharp. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by deanwrx View Post
    what did you say? lol
    nothing........ I have had two (most) POST deleted in this thread..........

I wub black rims...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    In THIS (Wheel search.) thread? That's odd :s

I like the black too I was really hoping for the Axial 8 Spoke (AX8008) in black to go with the RR's in the end. But the LHS nor the one in the town away had any But will look good with a nice dark body