RC Qualifier

Build a Slash 4x4-upgrades?

If I was to build a Slash 4x4 what would you Slash 4x4 owners recommend? Probably would start with a Platinum roller. Maybe a Castle motor but which one? What other upgrades?

RC Racer
    Racer or basher?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CodenameTRX1 View Post
    Racer or basher?
    Mostly bashing with a little racing.

RC Racer
    Mip cvd's for sure, especially if your gonna chunk the VXL power system. Maybe a center diff. But if I'm not mistaken, that may come with the platinum. I'm just gettin into the upgrades myself, but I know those are good ones to start with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CodenameTRX1 View Post
    Mip cvd's for sure, especially if your gonna chunk the VXL power system. Maybe a center diff. But if I'm not mistaken, that may come with the platinum. I'm just gettin into the upgrades myself, but I know those are good ones to start with.
    MIPs for sure, RPM a-arms all around, was thinking about a Castle combo but not sure what one is best for the Slash 4x4?

RC Champion
    I'd go with the 2400 sct combo. crazy power and speed on 3s, but 4s we're talking land speed record's. Tekno center shaft, better servo, I like the Savox 1258tg. Wheel's and tire's set's. I'd skip the center diff as it can only be used safely with 2s, some get away with using a 3s, but most end up destroying the center diff. Extra spur's and an assortment of pinion's. Losi spring's to replace the Traxxas set. Oil's grease and cleaner's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    I would stay stock and upgrade as parts break. get used to the truck first. It's extremely durable as stock and quite fun. Then decide to spend cash on new motor combo and such...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    I'd go with the 2400 sct combo. crazy power and speed on 3s, but 4s we're talking land speed record's. Tekno center shaft, better servo, I like the Savox 1258tg. Wheel's and tire's set's. I'd skip the center diff as it can only be used safely with 2s, some get away with using a 3s, but most end up destroying the center diff. Extra spur's and an assortment of pinion's. Losi spring's to replace the Traxxas set. Oil's grease and cleaner's.
    What combo would you suggest if i was planning to use 2s and 3s Lipo only?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    I would stay stock and upgrade as parts break. get used to the truck first. It's extremely durable as stock and quite fun. Then decide to spend cash on new motor combo and such...
    My plan is to get a roller and go from there, any suggestions?

RC Racer
    Are u saying that the stock slipper is ok for 3s?

RC Champion
    MMP 2400 is a great choice. Upgrade your motor mount and motorplate to reduce heat and bearing life. Stay with stock slipper for bashing. Center diff will most likely end up destroyed. New axles, both Mip and Tekno are very good. 1/8 buggy wheels for sure over sc styled tires. Shoe goo and drywall tape the body to strengthen it and improve durability...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    MMP 2400 is a great choice. Upgrade your motor mount and motorplate to reduce heat and bearing life. Stay with stock slipper for bashing. Center diff will most likely end up destroyed. New axles, both Mip and Tekno are very good. 1/8 buggy wheels for sure over sc styled tires. Shoe goo and drywall tape the body to strengthen it and improve durability...
    Whats the MMP 2400 like on 2s and 3s? Whats a "buggy wheel"?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruggar View Post
    Whats the MMP 2400 like on 2s and 3s? Whats a "buggy wheel"?
    2400kv motor on 2s will be slower than the stock motor, it needs at least 3s to run good, buggy wheels are 1/8 scale wheels for buggy they are taller, narrower, and run with 17mm hex.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    2400kv motor on 2s will be slower than the stock motor, it needs at least 3s to run good, buggy wheels are 1/8 scale wheels for buggy they are taller, narrower, and run with 17mm hex.
    What Castle combo can I get to run 2s and 3s that will be a lot better than the stock motor and Esc?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    mmp-3800 will be good for 2s,3s (motor might get hot on 3s, gear it properly)

RC Enthusiast
    The 2400 sct it the way to go IMO. It is slower than the stock vxl on 2s but you can make up for that by gearing it higher and with zero heat issues. Strap a 3s in and wow and 4s is insane fun.
    Slash 4x4, MMP / 2400 SCT
    Slash 2x4

RC Competitor
    Castle has the Mamba Monster Pro SCT ESC with the 1410 motor available as a set. Fits in the chassis without having to move the reciever box. I used servo tape to mount the ESC. It isn't going anywhere. 4 pole motor, 5 mm shaft so you'll need a new pinion gear. Recommened power 2S/30C lipo. Check the Castle web site.
    Last edited by Chief409; 08-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Slash 4X4 SSC , T-MAXX, Revo and Bandit
    TQi, iPod

RC Qualifier
    Currently run 2s 40c and 50c Gen Ace, so I should be ok with this set up? This motor is a 3800kv motor correct?

RC poster
    what about STRC parts?

RC Champion
    sidewinder SCT 3800kv. Its a great combo, I now have 2, and its just over 120$!!!!!! 2s and 6-7 cell nimhs. You can use 3s if you gear it lower.

TONS of torque and I havent seen any high temps on mine (no racing, just up and down the street)