RC Enthusiast

Fan selection for VXL ESC & Motor?

Hi guys, now that I have the temps under control through the pinion swap and tranny flip, I would like to add a fan setup. I've heard the integy heatsink/fan has issues, I have the traxxas heatsink on my motor - so I'm
    wondering if anybody has a fan mfg of choice or if the larger traxxas fan (with some mods) is a good unit.
    The toyz seem to be out of stock on their fan/heat sink.

Would like either a large fan to pass air over ESC and Motor or 2 smaller fans.

This guy's setup maybe overkill, but looks solid.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n..._2784-0000.jpg

Thanks.

I measured the 380 with the Traxxas blue heatsink (which I really like, it wraps around pretty far and seems to extract heat nicely) and see its very close in diameter to a 540 motor.....so I'm going to order the castle mamba fan setup designed for a 540 ( http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ower-cm36.html) which (hopefully) will clamp right on to the traxxas heatsink. I also ordered a 30mm much more fan which I plan to install to face both the esc and motor where the current servo is mounted and move the servo to the other side.

I will let everybody know if this works. Parts should take 3 days to get.

Thanks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-06-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    wont that draw alot of power???

RC Enthusiast
    Thats a good question farmer - I've seen some references to 2.5 amps (and these fans seem to be 1/4 amp) for the receiver as a whole, steering servo 1 amp and seemingly enough room for 2 of the fans and LED's. That being said, if anybody knows
    for sure I would love to know if the 2.5 amp rating is correct. Worst case I could run them off of another pack with a resistor.
    Thanks

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    have you measured what your temps are now after the mods you did??? you may not need a huge fan... I have a 5 dollar 25mmx25mm fan blowing on my esc (screwed into the heat sink) and the traxxas motor heat sink and i havent had any more heat issues, unless i run two nimhs in series....then itll get a lil hot but doesnt go into thermal shutdown anymore... on 2s lipo I can bash for 1 hour with no probs

RC Enthusiast
    I just got the castle blower (around the traxxas blue heatsink) and muchmore fan (on the esc) installed -
    all connected to the receiver BEC with the front and rear LED's from the big summit. I will post some
    pics tomorrow but I ran 2 packs through it and the motor was barely warm. Unfortunately I don't have a heat gun yet, but I will post temps when I borrow my buddy's. Keep in mind my little guy LOVES to run in the grass and even with the tranny flip and 14T pinion it didn't go into thermal, but both were quite warm (I realize this is a useless statement without the temps lol).

I will say that I think the castle motor blower/cage with the traxxas heatsink is a great combination for a few bucks more than the Integy setup which seems to have its own issues.

Farmer thanks for the detail about mounting your fan - I was going to fab a bracket, but obviously straight to the heatsink is the most efficient and easiest manner. I got the 30mm fan, 25mm would've been a better fit
    though I figured the higher CFM outweighed the better fit (and its only 5mm).

Thanks

Excuse my wiring - wil tidy it up tomorrow.

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-11-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Enthusiast
    Hi guys, just wanted to update - I (well, my son ) has over 50 runs on this fan setup and even in 90 degree plus weather through grass she runs great and the electronics stay around 120. THis is with the tranny flip and stock gearing (went back to 16), on both 2S lipo and stock NIMH packs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that sounds good! heat wave in so cal. was running in 100 degree weather

RC poster
    what's that castle fan? what size? I also have that same traxxas blue heat sink and want to add that castle fan. can you please just email me?

abram.greene@gmail.com