RC Competitor

Thumbs down Disappointed with Spektrum

My factory receiver started acting up, so I decided to replace both the radio and receiver with Spektrum. I've been contemplating this purchase for quite some time and thought I'd take advantage of this Traxxas receiver failure to upgrade. I purchased the DX3C radio that comes with the SR300 receiver.

The first thing I noticed was the antenna wire was much shorter than the one on the Traxxas receiver. It would not reach the stock blue antenna tube. So I just left the antenna wire hanging out of the waterproof receiver box. I was not happy with the range so after researching the issue a bit on this and other forums, I decided to drill a hole in the top of the receiver box and route the antenna wire out the new hole into the antenna tube. See pictures.

This helped with the range but I'm still disappointed. I get maybe about a football field (100 yards). I talked to the LHS and they say this is normal. They claim Traxxas receivers use a coaxial antenna and as such they get tremendous range.

The fact of the matter is, this "upgrade" to Spektrum turns out to be a downgrade in the range department. Had I not known any better, I suppose I'd be satisfied with the range of Spektrum but experiencing the range with my Traxxas receiver, my expectations are higher.

Can you guys and gals with experience with Spektrum radios/receivers please let me know if this is normal? Also, if you've had a similar experience and overcame it, what did you do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

TookyFL
    Stampede 4x4 VXL | Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run spektrum on all my rc stuff, and I'm very satisfied with them, I can drive until I can barely see the car, and that's enough for me, the radio settings is much more easy to adjust than traxxas, my antenna just hangs out the receiver box and never had an issue.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I have to agree with RC-Fan the Tx is very good and has an excellent feel to it. But I totally hated the range. I'm not sure I got more than a 100ft with my DX3S....very subpar for my standards of range. Other than that the setup was nice for me. I'm currently rock'n the Traxxas Link & TQi radios. One of these days i'm going to drop some $$ in a Futaba, either the 4PL or 4PK for grins.

For a short course racer that range is ok for them. That's my thoughts.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 08-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    I run spektrum on all my rc stuff, and I'm very satisfied with them, I can drive until I can barely see the car, and that's enough for me, the radio settings is much more easy to adjust than traxxas, my antenna just hangs out the receiver box and never had an issue.
    Would you say you getting much farther than 100 yards? What kinda of batteries are you using in the transmitter?
    TookyFL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I haven't measured the distance, but like said It is enough for my bashing spot, also have in made spektrum is race oriented.

I love my DX3R, I use it for my Slash MT (formally a 4x4 Pede), my scaler and my XR10, it is very versital. I have the antenna just handing out of the RX box with no problems with signal; I have never had it out 100yrds, so I don't know if it will have that kind of reach, but at that distance the truck is just a dot anyways.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I'm using the truck in such a wide open field, that it's not hard to open it up and before you know it, you're out of range. Anyone else have any experiences?
    TookyFL

RC Racer
    I'm running a dx3c and if u can see it u can drive it I have hade my pede4 over 100 yards my antena is just hanging out of the receiver

RC Racer
    Buy an Airtronics and never look back. I started with a Spektrum d3s, upgraded to a Airtronics m11x, no comparison

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I feel your pain.Couldn't get over 120' before fail safe would activate.Spektrum said I could upgrade the RX to the SR3100.So I took their advice and got a HK knock-off for 16$ to my door in 8 days.Target Hobby.com.I now have a 8'' coaxial antenna with about 500' of range.Been using it about 6 month's no problems.Their recommendation another 100$ big problem.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    I feel your pain.Couldn't get over 120' before fail safe would activate.Spektrum said I could upgrade the RX to the SR3100.So I took their advice and got a HK knock-off for 16$ to my door in 8 days.Target Hobby.com.I now have a 8'' coaxial antenna with about 500' of range.Been using it about 6 month's no problems.Their recommendation another 100$ big problem.
    Shaky17, thanks for the advice. I just ordered the receiver. Hopefully it will resolve my problem too. The antenna wire definitely looks longer, but it does not appear to be a coaxial antenna.
    TookyFL

RC Qualifier
    I run the DX3R and I think the range is incredible all my receivers are 3300 models so I truely believe the reciever makes the difference
    Last edited by Brewers74; 08-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4