RC Competitor

Converted to Monster

Well, I've been on here for a few days now, and joined mainly because every time I had a question for the great and mighty Google about what I needed next I was pointed in this direction.
    And as I have pretty much finished converting the brushed edition to the brushless edition with the 2200KV Mamba kit, I'm going to be breaking a lot of parts, so I'm gonna need a lot of help strengthening things. And that is what everyone here seems to be good at.

As well as converting the power plant I also decided to hop it up/bling it out a little.
    Originally I had only done the two speed conversion to help with the steep river banks we have here, which was an awesome challenge. But then I wanted to go faster so I replaced the motor. On the way I went for the P3 set up all round with the red T6 push rods, and even matched them with the red Tubes toe-links. Stiffer spring (Silver on the front and Blue on the rear(pretty much LT set-up)) and the anti-sway set-up - all just to help me not flip on tarmac and it has changed it IMMENSELY.

I've always been a brushless/LiPo fan, as soon as I learned of brushless as an option I went for a Yeah-Racing kit in my legacy Rustler - loved it to bits, literally. Not long after that (well a few years later) I bought the Revo from the Albury Hobby Centre after eyeing it off for a few visits. Now here it is.

Welcome to the madness.
    I spy your antena sticks out the top of the body. Don't break off the end of the Rx wire..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    Thanks.

Yeah, I need to shorten it. I lost the cap the night that I got the batteries, it had to be tested.. But new cap for now.

Welcome to the dark side mate of brushless power
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Haha, tah.

Also opinions on the VNM Sport Power 2S 5000 40C hard packs?

With the rustler I used to use the VNM 2S 5600 60C bullet pack, but they don't fit in the Revo. I found the packs to be really good, but I was reading somewhere that they were a crappy battery. I'm just a tad worried now.

RC Competitor
    FWIW I hadnt had any issues with them, but ended my search when I found SPC, which has identical battery setups for 2s and 3s so I can now run 4s,5s, or 6s whenever I want. It is quite nice

The only drawback to venoms are the adapter plugs they use. You'll need to cut those off and solder new traxxas or deans on to make it solid.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    The only drawback to venoms are the adapter plugs they use. You'll need to cut those off and solder new traxxas or deans on to make it solid.
    So the multi adapter thingo's are crap? 'Cause i never got rid of those for the Rustler either, haha.

Any adapter pug acts link a beaver dam, blocking flow..in this case it's not water
    Last edited by 87 GN; 08-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    Ok, I'll get the soldering iron back out...after work..

RC Competitor
    Ok, so as my other thread states - http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...8-Wheel-search. - I'm building a tire collection. Which will prolly definitely not be as wider variety as some others

But firstly;

This is starting to get quite annoying.

Secondly;

We use these at least once a week, and I've never really noticed this.

All the goodies cleaned and waiting;

And I did scrub the living daylights out of those tires, even ended up putting the rim inside the inverted tire so I could get more elbow grease into it. So if this tape comes off I'm gonna be super annoyed.

Just before seating the foams;

I've never really used open cell foams. With exception of stock tires and wheels, I've pretty much always used closed cell foams - so I sat there for a few minutes playing with the foam trying to seat it before it struck me that it just wasn't gonna work, so the Help page said to trim them. Then it all made perfect sense, I feel like a bit of a noob.

But they look better than I expected..

Look good...did you trim them?

I run the same combo, I never had to trim my foam to fit in my tyres. It took some work to get them in and sit properly on the rim. I don't think you supposed to trim the foam, I could be wrong.

Did you tape the insides of the tyres?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    I did tape. Hence the cleaning. And I swear that if it don't hold, I'm gonna be real mad.. Haha.

Every site I went to said to trim them, and I couldn't get on here to ask everyone. But they seem to be seated well.

RC Qualifier
    Wow Deisel...that is quite a tire factory u got there...

has anyone ever used those no puncture liquid foam on their tires?...

i've never put together a wheel/tire set....and so i'm clueless...but reading up on all the trim and the duct taping and stuff...i was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to use these...

RC Champion
    Isn't that for bicycle tires? What would the slime do

Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    I did tape. Hence the cleaning. And I swear that if it don't hold, I'm gonna be real mad.. Haha.

Every site I went to said to trim them, and I couldn't get on here to ask everyone. But they seem to be seated well.
    I mainly trim the bead to clean it up the manufacturing leftovers, and take some off to fit in the bead a little better.

Sent from my old phone

Thy slime stuff work on 1:1 tires when you have a slow leak. It makes a huge mess when it gets out of the tire.

RC Qualifier
    Thy slime stuff work on 1:1 tires when you have a slow leak. It makes a huge mess when it gets out of the tire.
    i've never tried it...but i figure u gurus have probably thought of it and tried it...was just wondering...

i'm just starting to get into this hobby...and so...i know nothing...and i'm proving it...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    Wow Deisel...that is quite a tire factory u got there...

has anyone ever used those no puncture liquid foam on their tires?...
    It wouldn't really work that well. It needs to be in a sealed tube. It would be a TON of messing around to to get the tubes in and make sure they stay the right shape, and make sure there is a way to pump them up. The foam is more reliable, and FAR less effort haha.

RC Competitor
    I mainly trim the bead to clean it up the manufacturing leftovers, and take some off to fit in the bead a little better.

Sent from my old phone
    I didn't trim the beed however, I did notice that there was two pull marks on each, so I trimmed them. But they where fairly neat. I did trim the foam as that's what every site I went to suggested - "Trim foam inserts so that they are just wider than the tire when flattened out". So I followed that. Speed runs without balancing tonight after work (I only have a 1:10 balancer, waiting on the bigger one).

RC Competitor
    Dear Mr Craig...

So I went to the skate park yesterday with the twin and his MERV as well. Had an absolute ball! Landed inappropriately so many times, I'm so amazed that it's still in one bit - the body is pretty beat up, the wing is deffo not straight any more, and I now have at least one mark on every skid plate. One thing we've both decided is that we are going to have a set of shocks and springs to swap in for the skate park, and both need a ton of practice.

Now i've mentioned you, Craig, 'cause I do see that you seem to spend a little bit of time at a skate park yourself...do you have any handy hints or tips for skate park bashing? It isn't something that we will be doing a whole lot as there is a lot of ferrals that hang around, but any input would be appreciated.
    Oh, and while I have your attention. Have you (or anyone else) ever thought about putting a weight on something that moves, like a servo, and having the weight shift to help the car in the air over say a quarter-pipe so that it would be possible to exit and enter the pipe again with one air?
    (I know, if I wanted a skateboard, I should have bought a skateboard...just thought it'd be cool.)

Cheers, I will try get videos next time.

So I went to the skate park yesterday with the twin and his MERV as well. Had an absolute ball! Landed inappropriately so many times, I'm so amazed that it's still in one bit - the body is pretty beat up, the wing is deffo not straight any more, and I now have at least one mark on every skid plate.
    It is inevitable that parts will eventually break when you start big air bashing, especially at skate parks or BMX tracks. My wing is not straight either anymore .

One thing we've both decided is that we are going to have a set of shocks and springs to swap in for the skate park, and both need a ton of practice.
    I am now running black springs front and pink in the rear with 60wt oil and VDP #2 all round...thinking of changing to 70wt oil and VDP #3 all round, will look at that next year sometime when I service my truck as I like the way it is currently set...since I don't have a race track nearby any more I have no need to run the softer springs at the moment.

do you have any handy hints or tips for skate park bashing? It isn't something that we will be doing a whole lot
    My thinking when I'm at a skate park especially when the camera comes out is go big or go home...I find for myself that when I am over cautious I wreck my truck a lot more than when I am reckless...I had the same attitude when I use to ride motoX (KX250 , I'm a Kawasaki fan)

ever thought about putting a weight on something that moves, like a servo, and having the weight shift to help the car in the air over say a quarter-pipe so that it would be possible to exit and enter the pipe again with one air?
    In order to be able to do this the 1/4 pipe needs to have a least some vert in it before the coping, at least a foot....no need to full throttle your truck out of the 1/4 pipe...it is very difficult to do...you need to punch your truck as it in the vert section so it bounces off the coping at the same time steering your truck left or right so it will do a 180 in the air; no need to throttle in the air just more braking to bring it nose down so the truck lands into the transition of the ramp. A nice 6 or 7ft 1/4 pipe would be good to practice on. Once you start practicing this you will get the gist of what I'm saying.

Practice this by airing only a foot or 2 out of the 1/4 pipe.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    i really didnt know this i have tons of these batts like almost 20 i run them in all my trucks and never had a problem i have good punch and i can switch from trx to deans when ever , i love the skate park i will have to put up pick of ours here all concrete and we have three pools those are a blast and last but not least you have a nice truck deisel what gearing are you running

RC Competitor
    Awesome stuff Craig! Our biggest quarter is about 5' and has about 1.5 - 2' vert but the coping is flush in with the concrete, but I'll deffo try harder next time. Any other bracing I can do other than the old push-rod front/rear brace mod?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    i really didnt know this i have tons of these batts like almost 20 i run them in all my trucks and never had a problem i have good punch and i can switch from trx to deans when ever , i love the skate park i will have to put up pick of ours here all concrete and we have three pools those are a blast and last but not least you have a nice truck deisel what gearing are you running
    4sdash, when we took off the multi adapters there was like 2.3 resistance running the multimeter through them.. So that is slightly more than the IR of a good battery cell I'm pretty sure. And thanks man, it's running 20/54 - could prolly go a lot higher, barly even warms up.
    Last edited by Deisel; 12-06-2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the question..

Awesome stuff Craig! Our biggest quarter is about 5' and has about 1.5 - 2' vert but the coping is flush in with the concrete, but I'll deffo try harder next time. Any other bracing I can do other than the old push-rod front/rear brace mod?
    I don't use any additional bracing...nor do I have the rear chassis brace..IDK, maybe I've gotten better at landing my truck on its wheels; every now and then my bashing ends in disaster .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Haha, apparently I need to learn what the wheels are for a bit better then

RC Competitor

Sadface, the tape let go and started ripping the tyre off for me. And it was so sudden!
    Hurtling along at full throttle chasing a car down the street (side road that gets maybe 9 or 10 cars a day), it just started to shake like crazy and all of a sudden the thing flipped it self over. Was really comical the rate at which it happened.

But in other news, it's still going great! The tyres have all stayed on until now. It's jumped about 4m into the air out of a half pipe about a million times and landed awkwardly a few of those times. Still original diffs.
    All round very happy.

Anyway, hope y'all and your trucks are traveling well.

RC Racer
    have you been to the albury rc track? taken my revo there a few times

RC Competitor
    Funnily enough, I bought the Revo from Albury Hobby Centre and the Albury track there was the first place it went, with NiMh batteries, dual brushed motors and all - that was back in 2009 - haven't been back since though, Albury is about 6 hours from here. It spends most it's time on the road or the skate park as our 1:8th/nitro track moved out to a really inconvenient place and gets absolutely no maintenance, so it's pretty much red-loam pit.

RC Racer
    I saw you mention Albury Hobby Center so assumed you were local im 45 mins away but send a bit of time in albury with my revo