RC poster

Rustler short course conversion

I just got a rustler Vxl and would like to race it, but nobody in my area hosts stadium truck events.
    Does anybody know if I can use slash suspension components to convert my rusty to a short course
    Truck?

Absolutely. Everything is interchangeable. The only difference is the Slash arms. You'll want to get those for the conversion. The rear Slash arms have toe in built into them, the Rustler's arms don't. You'll also need the STRC LCG kit and you'll be good to go.

RC poster
    That's what I figured, but I wasn't 100% shure. My next option was just buying a 2wd slash roller and switching over the electronics. (wich may still be my best option, depending on the price.) Thanks for the info.

RC Qualifier
    Your best bet is to stay with the rustler and add a strc. All you need is tires which if you bought a stock roller you would be replacing with something better anyway, slash rear a arms and turnbuckles, bumpers but you need rpm stuff anyway, and a body which now you have all kinds of options instead of the stocker.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackestBurn View Post
    I just got a rustler Vxl and would like to race it, but nobody in my area hosts stadium truck events.
    Does anybody know if I can use slash suspension components to convert my rusty to a short course
    Truck?
    Unless you know where to get parts really cheap, you might be better off just buying a Slash. Figure between a SC body and wheels, that's a good chunk of money towards a new vehicle. Not to mention all the nickel and dime stuff like arms and bumpers.

RC poster
    Forgive my newbieness, but what is the STRC LGC kit?

RC Racer
    STRC (company the makes the kit)
    LCG (Low Centre of Gravity)

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=645

Slash has high centre of gravity meaning its very liable to rolling/flipping especially in fast sharp turns. LCG kits lower the chassis closer to the floor to reduce roll - makes them more competative on the track. Personally speaking its not something to worry about - unless you want to race.

RC poster
    Makes sense. I always thought they looked like they would go over easy. That's why I prefer stadium trucks. Low stance, wide wheel base. Thanks everybody. Guess it's time to start gathering parts and get this thing built.

The strc kit is the bomb. It goes together easily, good fitment, and the parts you use are all traxxas besides the actual strc kit itself, so it's cheap and easy to replace things when/they break.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Absolutely. Everything is interchangeable. The only difference is the Slash arms. You'll want to get those for the conversion. The rear Slash arms have toe in built into them, the Rustler's arms don't. You'll also need the STRC LCG kit and you'll be good to go.
    actually the rustler arms do and that's the main reason why they spin so much. you don't need new a arms... just flip the rear left to right, not the mount just the arms. do the same with the front and a rustler becomes the same track as the slash. ive just done one for free and also made a new mount for the front to get the suspension vertical instead of the horrible 30 degree rake.
    Last edited by 30yearsofthis; 03-31-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spellin errors

Quote Originally Posted by 30yearsofthis View Post

actually the rustler arms do and that's the main reason why they spin so much. you don't need new a arms... just flip the rear left to right, not the mount just the arms. do the same with the front and a rustler becomes the same track as the slash. ive just done one for free and also made a new mount for the front to get the suspension vertical instead of the horrible 30 degree rake.
    You lost me on this one. Electric Rustler arms do not have any toe. Even if they did, flipping them from left to right would cause toe-out and you definitely don't want that. Also, Slash and the electric Rustler have the exact same front arms, and as far as I recall they're not designated left or right. So there's no point in flipping them because they're universal in the first place.

As for eliminating the front caster, that's probably the last thing you want to do on any off road vehicle.

An electric rustler has no rear toe in. The nitro rusty does, but not the electric. The slash arms have toe in built in. the rusty arms do not.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Harry, anza makes -5 c-blocks to make it 25 You dont have to eliminate it, but a slight reduction can have its benefits... But of course you must know that lol.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Harry, anza makes -5 c-blocks to make it 25 You dont have to eliminate it, but a slight reduction can have its benefits... But of course you must know that lol.
    Sure. Seems to have been an industry standard ever since the original RC10, probably even longer. 25-30 degree front caster has always been the standard depending on vehicle setup and track design. Having zero front catser would be undesirable to say the least.

I also don't see how it would be possible to swap the left and right electric Rustler rear arms. They only have shock mounting holes on one side of the arm. So you would also have to flip them upside down in order to mount the shocks, but you can't do that because they're also recessed to clear the drive shafts.
    Last edited by harry697; 03-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    And the Rustler rear arms are wider...The main reason you change them, or the body will rub on the tires on compression! Don't forget your body mounts for that Rustler to Slash conversion!

RC poster
    yea my fault. I did not realize the ele. is so different than the nitro. I was able to flip left to right on the front and rear on my nitro. as far as changing my front caster to 5 deg. I now have 0 bump steer and it cuts in like no other rc I ever had. I now own the rustler sc., revo, my kids evader, tmaxx, and had a slash that got stolen. It kills my slash in turns now.
    ive got more just gotta upload the new ones since I flipped the front arms. will do when Im home from work.
    Last edited by 30yearsofthis; 04-01-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot a t
    been there, done that...

RC poster
    here are a few after flippin the front and rear a arms. as you can see the wheel base fits perfect now. i made custom shock mounts and I did have to make body mounts. the mounts fit the stock holes so no drilling. also moved the bat. pack up front for balance. took it off for the pics. but i know none of this matters since you have the vxl. figured id share though. since i did all this for free...
    i unfortunately finally lost most of my compression last night on my 2.5 but got it out to power up to the 3.3. love that traxxas does that. even for ele. systems. i also did it on my revo for c.c. monster cant wait till they come in.
    Last edited by 30yearsofthis; 04-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    been there, done that...

RC poster

Brash by BIGWORDS

In case anyone can benefit, I made a complete build and running video for my Rustler to STRC LCG Slash conversion "the brash" here: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...on-Brash-Build

RC Competitor
    Nice builds. I will be picking up a used slash, brushed, for my little girls. I have a rustler chassis so i will be building the LCG chassis, with home cut aluminum plates of course.