RC poster

Question How to/Questions: Traxxas Telemetry

Hello!

1. Which RPM/speed and Voltage/Temp sensors are needed, long or short?

2. How to install/mount temp sensor?

3. How RPM will give the correct speed as the Jato has 2 speed transmission?

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    The temp sensor goes mid way around the head, and the rpm sensor reads off the fly wheel.

RC Qualifier
    Speed can only be correct in one of the 2 gears. This can be calibrated to 2nd gear with Spectrum Telemetry, Im not sure if Traxxas telemetry allows you to input the overall gearing so you can calculate using second, or if it only is calibrated by rolling the truck a set distance. The rolling method in this case can only be calibrated if you do the roll test with 2nd gear locked and full time engaged just for calibration. Once calibrated, 1st can be released. The speed reading will only be correct in 2nd, until the shift. the speed will be wrong, but when you grab 2nd its pretty on point.

Remember changing wheel size and tire expansion at speed will obscure your results slightly. Your reading will be a few mph under what you actually hit.

Its a lil complicated to get all set up correctly. I always go with long wire sensors as you can always reduce the length to what you need and crimp on a new plug. If you get the short wires and need more length, its going to require soldering extensions on, take more, time and you need spare wires, might even need to crimp on a new plug too.

This job as you may have guessed by now possibly needs custom wirering work done, if you dont feel comfortable doing it, check if your LHS can do it. Lil experience makes it easy, and they sure would love to sell you the sensor and mounts.

For Traxxas Telem you will also need the iphone dock, and iphone.
    Last edited by Assassin; 08-02-2012 at 06:42 PM.

RC poster
    where do you put the mount senor on the jato?
    possible to have pic or digram please.
    thank.

RC Racer
    I purchased the tqi with base for my son but to date the only piece of the telemetry I have been able to obtain was a magnet mounted flywheel. Where are you getting these parts? My LHS to every site I look at online says they are backordered indefinitely. Supposedly recalled again for problems. I look forward to hearing when I can expect to finish my investment in telemetry for my sons jato and ipod

RC poster
    i only got the mounts for it, i am still waiting for the senors, just like you say "on back order"

RC Racer
    I know the rules and I wont badmouth Traxxas or use foul language, but this subject really irritates me. I mean I feel like I want to say I want my money back on this base I purchased and the new controller so I could make my son happy and be able to hook his ipod to the Jato. I wish that someone would just say, hey its not working but we have a solution and it will be out../.../... and let us know what's up. Instead Im stuck with parts I paid good money for and can't finish this for him. Traxxas, did you put the cart before the horse? Where are the working parts?

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.