Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

Unlimited Engineering 1/8 scale Supermaxx trucks

I've been researching for the past few week on the parts I should order to build up a bulletproof EMaxx and this is what I've come up with. It started with me buying a TMaxx from a friend and wanting to convert it to brushless. I then ended up getting the 3908 rolling chassis from lumidave and it has snowballed into a pretty expensive build. I'm going to leave the TMaxx alone and not touch it. Its my first nitro rc fwiw.
    I'm at work offshore for 2 more weeks (been out here 4 already..) and I'll have 4 weeks off when I get home. Hopefully everything is waiting for me when I get there and I can have some monster truck fun! My wife will be opening all my packages and sending me pics of everything as it comes. I've already received the rolling chassis and a few other things. Here's my list of parts I just pulled the trigger on on eBay. If there are other things I should order please let me know. I'm opened to all advice as this will be my first monster truck...well I guess the TMaxx was but it's arrived while I've been at work..

EMaxx 3908 Rolling Chassis
    Traxxas EMaxx blue & Black body
    FLM10700 LCG Chassis
    FLM Ultimate hybrid bulk
    -TA 5k diff fluid
    -TA 3k diff fluid
    -HPI 86598 13x16x.2mm shims x 20
    Losi LST2 XXL CVDs
    -HPI 101060 Cups x2
    Tekno Axel Carriers with 17mm adapters
    -HPI 96710 8x12x.8 shims x2
    -TA 15x21x4 bearings x 10
    Proline 3.8 trenchers on offset wheels
    RPM 80462 A-Arms x 4
    T-Bone racing front and rear bumpers with T-Bar
    FLM19000 Shock Towers
    Traxxas 4962 Big Bore shocks
    Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv motor
    Robinson Racing Double disk slipper
    Robinson Racing Hardened steel 60T spur
    Robinson Racing Extra Hard 15T, 24T pinion
    HPI Flux Blur esc (already have)
    Spektrum SR3100 for DX3s
    Hot Racing TM3348x bellcrank
    Hitec HS-7954sh servo

Not much so far

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-05-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: post merge
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    I would recommend the trencher x tires over regular trenchers. Looks like youve done ur homework. Flm makes for a good looking rig. I would also go for a light battery setup.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Champion
    i didn't know about the trencher x. They look bigger. Are you saying to use lower mah batteries?

RC Racer
    Compared to each other, Trencher 40 series are higher - TrencherX wider.
    Weird as it sounds, I liked performance of stock tires better.... and also like zero offset better.
    But it would be boring if all E-Maxx's looked the same. Looking forward to see a FLM LCG build. Not many of those around..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    i didn't know about the trencher x. They look bigger. Are you saying to use lower mah batteries?
    Yea, lower mah, like 3000 - 4000mah. I have bigbores w a single 4s 3000mah w 60wt in front shock, 70wt in rear. I recently tried a 5s 5000mah and the shocks couldnt handle the extra weight. So if you go heavier, you may want upgraded shocks. I have the regular trenchers, and an offset wheel is just about required. W the wider x tires plus offset it would be much more stable in turns. Trenchers are bad w ballooning though. I also like stock tires on the geodes, like on revo 3.3.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by petraeus View Post
    Compared to each other, Trencher 40 series are higher - TrencherX wider.
    Weird as it sounds, I liked performance of stock tires better.... and also like zero offset better.
    But it would be boring if all E-Maxx's looked the same. Looking forward to see a FLM LCG build. Not many of those around..
    I recall you mentioning that you like the stockers better. I'll order a set so I can have extras. I searched but couldn't find a build thread for the lcg chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
    Yea, lower mah, like 3000 - 4000mah. I have bigbores w a single 4s 3000mah w 60wt in front shock, 70wt in rear. I recently tried a 5s 5000mah and the shocks couldnt handle the extra weight. So if you go heavier, you may want upgraded shocks. I have the regular trenchers, and an offset wheel is just about required. W the wider x tires plus offset it would be much more stable in turns. Trenchers are bad w ballooning though. I also like stock tires on the geodes, like on revo 3.3.
    What if I got some stiffer springs like these?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MAXX-TMAXX...item3f13d3b954

do i really need to upgrade the bulk head brace?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-05-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer
    Ultra Shocks and Big Bores are really 1:10 scale shocks. E-Maxx really is a 1:8 scale truck.
    These 8 shocks are ok on stock plastic build, but when adding lots of alu stuff, and truck gets heavy, the thin shock shafts could eventually bend on cartwheels and bad landings. At least that's how I felt
    1:8 scale shocks, such as UE SuperShocks I used, would be the best direction.
    And since you did the wise and upgraded to Losi XXL cvd, there's plenty of room for for bulkier shocks.
    Spring choice will depend on where/how you drive. Be careful not to use too hard springs!
    No need to update, even use, braces when using the FLM ultimates. But I used a RPM one.

Oh - and I would have used the lot stronger UE knuckleheads over the FLM towers (as I also used, but found them a little too soft)

How about Skid plates? - find something stronger than FLM

5k front diff oil - maybe a little thin? But depends on where you drive
    Good combos are (R2-F5), (R3-F7), (R5-F10)

At the end, I settled on (R5-F10)

Trenchers perform BETTER than stock tires. But I found they actually performed to good, especially on grass where I did most of my driving. To much traction (wheelies) and sidebite (roll over)

That's the reason I liked stockers bettter. But TrencherX made the truck look BAD...
    Last edited by petraeus; 08-03-2012 at 02:21 AM.

RC Champion
    I tried finding the knuckleheads on ebay but couldn't. I wasn't sure about how long it would take to get the towers from ue so I went with flm. I did see how yours bent though. Ill order the UEs if the flm ones get messed up too much, same with the shocks.
    What skid plates would you recommend that I get?

I ordered the UE knuckleheads and at 50% off! I received a lot of parts at the house today and my wife sent me pics. I had her put the trenchers on the roller and take some pics with the tmaxx and I'm getting excited!

I have two questions.
    1. what skid plates are the best?
    2. will I need an external bec for this servo?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-05-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer

I have two questions.
    1. what skid plates are the best?
    2. will I need an external bec for this servo?

1. Great Assembly 3mm titanium - discontinued..
    2. Most likely.
    Last edited by petraeus; 08-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.

RC Champion
    Thanks patreus. So I guess I should rephrase that and ask which are the best available skid plates?

RC Champion
    I'm having great success with the 3 piece RPM skid plate covers.

With a 7.4 volt servo I would think you would need a 7.4 BEC but I'm not certain.

RC Racer
    Thanks patreus. So I guess I should rephrase that and ask which are the best available skid plates?
    Maybe try the Integy Titanium ones - or the RC Solutions T-Maxx / E-Maxx Steel Skid Plate. All alu ones would simply bend.

RC Champion
    I have a set of the integy titanium skids on my project. They are much stronger than the cheaper aluminum ones.
    They could have made them even stronger by eliminating the cut outs for the suspension pins? I also have a set of the integy EVO5 skids on my other maxx. They are a bit stronger than the cheaper aluminum ones too and dont have the big cut outs.

RC Champion
    I ordered the rpm skids but i'll try the steel or titanium ones if these fail or if I feel like I need to order more stuff... i ordered a castle bec as well. I'm looking forward to getting off this boat and getting home next wednesday. I should start the build next Thursday!
    next question: in my research I read a couple of comments on putting an electronics box in place of one of the servos. Is that just relocating the stock box or is there another one that fits in there?

RC Champion
    The rpm skids mount over top of the plastic, aluminum or titanium skid plates. They are not a stand alone skid plate. Only protectors for skid plates. They do not connect the bulkheads to the chassis support rails.
    Not shure about the electronics box. But I think some people just relocate the stock box.

RC Champion
    I see, thanks for the info. My concern now is that the lcg chassis will cause the skids available to not fit. I'll try sending an email to flm to see what's up.

RC Champion
    Okay I ordered the RC solutions steel skid plates. I thought they were a good deal at $18 apiece but then the shipping was $18 as well. Oh well. I think I have everything I need to start this build. The only thing I may want eventually is a roll cage of some type.

I think what's going to happen is that i will eventually tear the tmaxx down and use all the parts from the roller to build a second emaxx. I will probably try out the double velineon system in it since I have two laying around. I will try it and see what nitro is all about first though. I may leave it alone too...we'll see

Looking good mate
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    I finally made it home and have begun working on the truck. First I am very impressed with how big the truck is. I wasn't it to be so big! 2nd the trenchers that I ordered are actually Trencher Xs! I also picked up some hpi phaltline tires for road use at the lhs.
    The mamba monster esc I was planning to use along with two other mamba monster I have are not working properly. One of them allows the motor to chime but when you press the accelerator it sound like its cogging and wont go either direction. I tested the motor with my flux blur esc and the motor spins just fine. the other two esc's wont even make the motor chime but they both have blinking lights. I will be using the flux blur for now.
    Another problem I had is with the spektrum sr3100. I could not get it to bind at all.
    One thing that I will have to modify is the UE shock mounts. They don't quite mate up to the Ultimate hybrid diff but luckily I had the flm ones ready to go. Here are some pics of the build so far:

RC Champion
    UE Knucklehead towers won't mate up to the FLM Ultimate Hybrid Bulk/Diff Combo?

That's the set up I planned on going with at some point. I'm interested on how that works out.

The T-bone bumpers look great!

RC Champion
    Thanks, I really like those bumpers. No the lower arches on the knuckleheads needs to be trimmed for it to work. I'm fine with the FLMs until they break. I've been driving the truck a bit and I absolutely love it! I think 4s is enough for now. I tried it on 5s but I'm worried something will break. One problem I'm having is with the toe links. The two times that the truck has toppled over something has happened to the links. The first time the driver link got smashed into the rod ends on both side, the second time I ripped one of the end links off the ball. I ordered the upgraded traxxas links but I'm not convinced that they are the best. What are some other options?
    here are some new pics:

RC Qualifier
    Looks very familiar buddy!

Had the same rod end problems on mine. Ended up with the TRX Aluminum ones, but with Revo rear toe adjustment rod ends. They are thicker and beefier than the usual rod ends used on everything else, and can only be found on the rear Revo toe links.

How are you liking those shocks? I used Some 1/8 scale Ofna's on mine.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Champion
    Okay cool I'm going to order those ends. That's a good looking truck, I need to get some mashers too. Are those functioning beadlocks? what brand are they? I put the bigbores on with the springs they came with and the shock fluid that was included and the truck just hit the floor with no rebound lol. luckily i ordered the vg racing heavy duty springs and they are pretty stout. I'll probably go with some other shocks in the future and I will look into the ofna's. I'll probably switch to the regular flm chassis as well.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, they're completely functional, and awesome!

3.2 Mashers on 3.2 Maximizer Beadlocks. I love that setup. Too bad they don't make many good 3.2 tires anymore, at least not like they make 3.8 and 40 series.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Champion
    dang it...now I have a need for that combo!

RC Qualifier
    I still like the 3.2 tires over the 3.8's. They weigh less and handle better. Although I do really like my 3.8 Badlands on TRX 3.8 1/2 offset Geode wheels.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Racer
    Quick ?. When you guys upgrade to the FLM blukheads are you also upgrading the hinge pin or are you keeping the steel one that it comes with.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    Too bad they don't make many good 3.2 tires anymore, at least not like they make 3.8 and 40 series.
    Agreed. I too like the 3.2 tire/wheel set up. They are just a little hard to find. I really wanted to get a set of IMEX Swamp Dawgs but they are nowhere to be found. Even their website says they are unavailable.

RC Champion
    I found that the tbone front and rear bumpers were limiting my arm travel so I crudely modified them.. I also installed the traxxas aluminum links and received the erevo rear endlinks but have not installed them. While driving around I lost the front differential center drive cup so it's in two wheel drive mode now.

RC Champion
    I'm taking the front and rear apart now. I was going to switch out the outdrive cups to the hpi ones but Instead I will be switching back to the stock axles. I need to order different inner bearings for the lst2 axles. The 15x21x4 bearings bind up once they get smashed into the Tekno carriers.
    MacKenzie- I'm using the stock hinge pins
    M n M- I took pics for you of the ue knuckleheads and how they just barely don't work. The need just a fraction of a millimeter shaved off to line up properly. I will be using the ue's on my tmaxx e conversion later this week. Also, the ue's use the old style circular body posts.

with a regular button head screw

RC Champion
    M n M- I took pics for you of the ue knuckleheads and how they just barely don't work. The need just a fraction of a millimeter shaved off to line up properly. I will be using the ue's on my tmaxx e conversion later this week. Also, the ue's use the old style circular body posts
    Thank you Sir for the info and photo's

RC Champion
    no problem. I'm not sure why the 2nd pic is broken but here is the link.
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...5854764447.jpg

RC Qualifier
    I only had one of the bearings get smashed into my carriers. Obviously it comes from the diff cup pushing back on the dogbones on a hard awkward landing. I simply adjusted my pivot balls out in the A-Arms a little more, and never had the problem again. Never pulled a pivot ball out of the arm either.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Champion
    I had a great time with this truck during my time off work. I tried a dual 3s setup for a few minutes but blew up three of the stock axles and tbh 6s is too much for my taste on this build. 4s was plenty of fun. I radared the truck at 35mph on 4s. I want to eventually get aluminum arms and they will probably be flm. I need to go back to the xxl axles as well

RC Qualifier
    Dunno why you bought the original truck, you've changed pretty much every part on it, you'd have been better off building it piece by piece.

In other news, that thing is awesome.

RC Champion
    Thanks! I didn't buy the original truck and I pretty much did build it piece by piece! I bought the roller but I knew that I had a tmaxx that I wanted to convert over to emaxx so the parts have all been used between the two builds.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ess-Conversion

RC Qualifier
    Nice build, I may add the LCG chassis and the diff/bulks to my emaxx

RC Champion
    Thanks, I like the lcg chassis a lot! The only thing I don't like is how the batteries hang below the body.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering the Unlimited Engineering widetrack suspension and two sets of supershocks for this build since all that is in stock now. I might even modify a set of knuckleheads to work with the hybrid bulks. I'm also going back to the xxl axles since I've done more reading on how to make them work right.
    Another item I want is a proline Raptor body and a wing to help protect the body in the rear. Im wandering what wing mount i should use?

RC Champion
    The widetrack suspension, supershocks, hot bodies lightning wing and wing mount have been ordered! I will be staying with the flm towers since they were designed to use the hot bodies wing mount.

RC Champion
    Well the Unlimted Engineering suspension and supershocks are waiting at home for me! I get off work tomorrow so I should be installing this stuff on Thursday.