RC Racer

Balancing 3.8 Trencher tires.

Ok, so one of the trencher tires i got pre mounted is super wobbly. It makes the truck jump like it has hydraulics. I ordered the Losi tire balancer. Will that work with the massive size of the 3.8 trenchers?

RC Qualifier
    If it's the Losi tire balancer, part number: LOSA99176, it won't work with truck wheels. It's for buggy wheels. I ordered one a while back, and I had to send it back. It just wasn't high enough, or deep enough to do my truck tires. I have a helicopter blade balancer that I made adapters for, so I can do my truck wheels.

Anyway, that's what I use to check my wheel balance. Then, I use self adhesive RC aircraft lead balancing weights, silicone coated to my rims to balance my rims. A lot of guys though, make truck tire balancers out of old Emax axles mounted onto wooden 2 x 4's to check their wheels' balance, and then use clay to balance there wheels.

RC Racer
    That sucks! Guess I will have to cancel that order. Luckily it hasn't shipped yet. I tried using an old carrier and axle but I had no luck. :/ Hopefully someone who has done it can chime in and possibly post some pics. Haha.

Make one like this. I made it out of an old carrier, hex, some plastic stand offs and some wood.
    I've balanced 3 sets of tires on it so far and all were as close as I could get them to a perfect balance.

Here's one, if you needed extra clearance you could always bolt the base plate on backwards.
    http://www.amain.com/RB-Products-Tir...tation/p200276

Or how about this one, it's by integy, and I hesitate to recommend anything of theirs but how bad could they screw this up?
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...7#.VA1DNmK9KSM

Last edited by Wildman4910; 09-08-2014 at 01:10 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    I did make my own similar to that but it seems like it would stop anywhere on the tire. Maybe bad bearings or something?

A good set of bearings help, did it happen with all 4 tires or just one?

Mine is super sensitive, one of things I did notice with the 14mm hex one I made, it made a difference how tight I ran the nut down.
    For the 17mm it makes no difference.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

I've removed the driveshaft between the axle and differential and spun the tire on the axle shaft while sitting on the truck. Best of all, it is free.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    One thing I did on my home made balancer was to remove the rubber seals and wash out any grease from the bearings so they spin free with no resistance.