RC Racer

Curiosity question... WHICH ONE DO I HAVE??

I have the 7005 model summit 4x4 1/16 scale. is this a VXL or not? it is a brushed motor, not brushless, and it came with waterproof esc and low voltage detecting for lipo batteries.

what is the MAX voltage I can run through this esc, and how do i do that? I know series and parallel connectors are available all over the place. I have been reading that parallel is about all you can do with this esc. what about changing it to a larger esc from say a 1/10 summit? can this little starter unit handle those kind of voltages and still keep the gearbox in them? I mostly play with this around truck stops and rest areas since I am a truck driver. Figured if i wreck it, I HAVE to get walking around some.. It already has suffered some pretty good battle wounds from an oklahoma service plaza with a really bumpy driveway..

Evidence is below, including a video of the gravel damage..

RC Qualifier
    if its brushed it means its not a vxl. The vxl refers to the power system its self the VXL-3M, brushed is the XL-2.5 and i wouldnt run a series connector thats probably way to much its even to much for the VXL-3M so we all run parallel and it gives better run time and more fun. If i'm honest your in the wrong sections but seeing how the heart of these trucks is the same it doesnt really matter nice pics heres one of mine on the rocks!

To the OP that's the funniest looking summit i have seen in a while

What model is the ESC? if it has the LVC and is waterproof it should say "VXL3m" on it. which is the VXL model ESC, if that's the case it sounds like someone just changed out the motor.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

AFAIK, the 3M will not run a brushed motor... in which case, if it is stock, it is the XL2.5... but those JUST started coming out with LVD... so we basically have no idea what ESC he has... he hasn't given us ANY information on it other than it is powering a brushed motor.
    It could be a XL5... or some aftermarket ESC... or maybe the seller warrantied the ESC just before the OP bought it and somehow got the new XL2.5??

OP, you have a Slash... not a Summit.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

OP, you have a Slash... not a Summit.
    LOL!! 10 characters

RC Racer
    sorry, still REALLY new to everything..

its a slash 1/16 with the xl2.5 with lvd. i have run parallel 2s lipos on it and it only took me 2 days to ruin a brand new trans or at least the bearings. Any suggestions on what else I can do to the trans so it will hold up? i have 2 more brand new that i bought in a 3 gearbox purchase. I would like to prep one of the new ones to last a while so my investment insnt wasted... someone said something about steel gears and some brand of really good bearings...
    1/10 Titan 775 bandit COMPLETED!!

That is pretty amazing... I have only seen/read of 2 transmissions getting destroyed since the release of the 16ths... one was just recently and they used the snot out of it.

Are you 100% sure it is the transmission and not the differentials?
    The reason I ask is that I have read this before... some have even ordered transmission parts... only to find out when they tear down their RC that it was the differentials and not the transmission.

I would stay away from steel gears... check this thread out:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...froze-up-at-60!
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    the first thing is I wont be going 60+ MPH with this little thing...

maybe a 1/10th version but not this one..

I just want it to zip around faster than what it is now.
    It is the 2.5 with lvd for the esc and that is how it came right out of the sealed box.

I now have it (the 2.5v esc) mounted to a bandit right now using 2 2s lipos (in parallel) and it took out the bandit's transmission...

I used the 16.8v brushed esc and had the 2s lipos on a pair of motors on a traxxas e-maxx (old version) and it cooked those motors, and the ESC was 100% brand new untouched... after some checking, the kid I bought these cars from (minus the 1/16 slash) had all kinds of garbage hooked up and the motors stripped out in the mounting screws and just a gear with a bunch of washers jammed in behind the spring and lock nut.. So i am now having to replace stuff cause it has all gone south on me..

I talked to the owner of a local shop and he recommends using the same motor I have now as a pair on the 16.8v esc and a pair of 8.4v 5000 mah batteries (nimh) for the E-maxx, but I still have to spend $40-60 on the clutch and gears cause this one doesnt have any on it..

after some checking, the kid I bought these cars from (minus the 1/16 slash) had all kinds of garbage hooked up and the motors stripped out in the mounting screws and just a gear with a bunch of washers jammed in behind the spring and lock nut.. So i am now having to replace stuff cause it has gone south on me..
    Last edited by Ed_72455; 09-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    1/10 Titan 775 bandit COMPLETED!!