RC poster

Question Traxxas Slash Maintenance

Relatively new to RC but I do have some prior knowledge of electronics and I am pretty good with my hands but I know almost nothing about how to maintain my new Slash, even after going to google and youtube.

I was wondering if anyone could explain these quick points:

What is the best way to clean my Slash? I tried using a kitchen sink after consulting the manual and the next morning I had some issues, though I finally got my model working again. I was told it was the receiver box (I could steer but no throttle).

Is there any weekly or monthly maintenance I should do? Like take everything apart and clean it? If so is there anywhere online where disassemble is better explained?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Any other words of wisdom that some of the more experienced users might have?

RC Qualifier
    My Slash's stay fairly clean since they are used on an indoor clay track but I do remove the control arms shocks wheels and clean all of the piviot points and reassemble . it Keeps my Trucks in tip top shape and helps me see whats about to break. I clean them after I leave the track for the day once I get home.

RC poster
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

How do I clean out the motor? is it safe to use water to flush out things or do I need to use a special type of cleaner?

Also, if I were to remove the receiver box and ESC system, would it make it safer to clean it with a hose or momentarily dunking it in water (then drying it off of course)?

RC Qualifier
    I normally take off my reciever box, motor, esc, and servo just to stay on the safe side when I hose down my Slash. I haven't had a problem with doing this for the many times I've done it and my Slash works perfectly.

For cleaning the motor, there are special motor cleaner spray that also lubricate the motor, you should use water to flush as that can shorten its life and de-lube it. It also isn't recommended to use wd-40 to oil the motor, if you ever thought about doing that.
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Racer
    I use either an air compressor or "nitro" r/c cleaner (which is basically canned air) to blow the dirt and sand off real well. If you use an air compressor make sure not to go full blast because you could damage your electronics if your not careful. I also keep a toothbrush in my toolbox so I can get all of the grit out of the small places. As for the motor, blow it out real well and then put a few drops of oil (3 in 1 or After Run Oil. etc..) around the bushings. Also, it's always good to go back and check your screws every once in a while to make sure none of them have backed out any. You may want to use a toothpick or exacto knife to get the dirt out of the screw heads. If you get your truck real muddy just carefully clean around your electronics and do like TraxxArmy said and remove them before you take a water hose to the chassis.

RC Racer
    Quick tip...use Pledge on the plastic parts (chassis, A-arms etc). It helps prevent dirt and mud from sticking as much. Cleaning will be easier.

I have watched factory nitro drivers do this at races.

RC poster
    Sweet, thank you all. I went back to youtube after posting this (I had checked before but I must have searched to narrowly) and find some other stuff on how to clean motors. All of this is really helpful, thanks a ton.

RC Qualifier
    wow, you guys are hardcore, taking that stuff off to hose it down. after EVERY outing i hose mine down, as is. one of the biggest reasons i bought the slash was for waterproof. i live in oregon and almost always go bashing through mud and puddles. i take lid off, hose it down, hose down everything else, blow it with compressor, and then wipe with rag. then it goes inside and sits on the desk, all shiny like.
    \BACKSLASH
    \BACKBAJR
    2WD Slash

RC poster
    I tried that Rad, and had some problems the next day, maybe it was just a fluke... I could tape up the receiver box i suppose.

RC Qualifier
    moisture will get into the RX eventually, even just from condensation...

after washing its best to open the RX box lid and leave it open overnight to let it air out

Slash is watertight enough to hose down, i squirt some truckwash gel on it
    (wait few mins & it lifts all grease & mud without scrubbing) then hose off.
    Shake off water then sit in front of a fan.

Screws can go rusty if you use detergent or store car wet.
    Some truckwash have wax in it so rust is minimised.

I have aircompressor but blowing water off isn't all that neat, it can
    pressure water & dirt into ballbearings & shocks if you're not careful.

Motor needs cleaning manually - motorspray on brushes, then relube the bushings.

If running in really muddy areas yes ppl will coat their cars in WD40 or furniture wax/polish before running.

(it reduces mud buildup =weight more than keeping it cleaner imho)

RC Champion
    Hose it off and let it dry by either wiping it down or a hair dryer. Oil the motor bushings every hour or two of running even if not wet. Oil bearings, and all metal parts to prevent rust. I completely take apart my shocks every two months and change the oil and clean all the seals. Drill two SMALL holes in the tires 180 degrees apart. Ok on top one on bottom in the center of the tread and the water will "sling" out of the tires to keep your foams in good shape.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the advice, I'm going to pick up some motor cleaning fluid today and clean it tonight after another run or two. Thanks again!

RC Racer
    To clean your motor use THIS spray it inside the motor until it drips clear, compressed air to blow all of the cleaner out, then use A DROP of Mobil 1 (car oil) to lube the bushings. Trust me this works, I had people surrounding my truck last night asking what motor I was using, after our Pro2 race (mod SCT's), they didn't believe it was a stock motor and it's NOT a red dot motor.

AS for cleaning the chassis, don't be afraid to take it apart down to the bare chassis. all I do with the chassis is spray it with simple green, use a little tire brush then compressed air. The remaining parts I wash in the sink and use compressed air to dry them off, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE MOTOR OUT before you put the rear end in the sink, it's also easier to clean and oil the motor.

It may sound like a little much, if you have cracked parts you will find them "now" instead of "later".

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Houps
    To clean your motor use THIS spray it inside the motor until it drips clear, compressed air to blow all of the cleaner out, then use A DROP of Mobil 1 (car oil) to lube the bushings. Trust me this works, I had people surrounding my truck last night asking what motor I was using, after our Pro2 race (mod SCT's), they didn't believe it was a stock motor and it's NOT a red dot motor.

AS for cleaning the chassis, don't be afraid to take it apart down to the bare chassis. all I do with the chassis is spray it with simple green, use a little tire brush then compressed air. The remaining parts I wash in the sink and use compressed air to dry them off, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE MOTOR OUT before you put the rear end in the sink, it's also easier to clean and oil the motor.

It may sound like a little much, if you have cracked parts you will find them "now" instead of "later".
    I cleaned mine for first time today (had it 2 weeks) I took out all the electronics and shocks and took some simple green and a brush to it. Then I sprayed it down to rinse it off. Letting it drip dry now. Anything I need to do with the tranny/diff or any bearings? I didn't soak it just hosed the crud off. I have some 3-in-1 oil that should be good for motor and bearings right?

Also where are all the bearings?

Thanks.
    Slash 2WD
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitefang
    I tried using a kitchen sink after consulting the manual and the next morning I had some issues, though I finally got my model working again. I was told it was the receiver box (I could steer but no throttle).

on mine, if I turn the truck on before I turn on the radio it will do this almost every time, the steer but no throttle part and every now and then I get throttle with no steering, I just make sure to turn on the radio before I turn on the truck, as far as cleaning goes, I use the bath tub, I have one of those "shower heads on a hose" and it works really good, even the manual says to clean with a water hose so I'm sure you are safe

here is a video I found that shows how water proof they are
    its not a slash but electronics are really close
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9cb8ipZgJs

^^^^^WATCH ME I"M COOL^^^^^

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJaymz View Post
    on mine, if I turn the truck on before I turn on the radio it will do this almost every time, the steer but no throttle part and every now and then I get throttle with no steering, I just make sure to turn on the radio before I turn on the truck, as far as cleaning goes, I use the bath tub, I have one of those "shower heads on a hose" and it works really good, even the manual says to clean with a water hose so I'm sure you are safe

here is a video I found that shows how water proof they are
    its not a slash but electronics are really close
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9cb8ipZgJs

^^^^^WATCH ME I"M COOL^^^^^
    Sorry but the vid is 'unavailable'.

r

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radiocycle View Post
    Sorry but the vid is 'unavailable'.

r
    Probably cause it's almost a 4 year old post
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"