RC Enthusiast

Need new springs for rear

What would be the best suggestion for rear springs on my VXL. I don't race just bash. Looking for stiffer springs that will not be to hard on jumps?

RC Champion
    You could try some Losi silver or green rated springs for the rear.
    Last edited by dgudenau; 07-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    traxxas black sprinngs with 50wt oil and about a half inch of preload

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you, I'm trying to get a more aggressive look instead of the soft tail down look of the stock shocks. Has anyone tried the piggy back shocks that Losi (I think) makes for the Slash?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6680 View Post
    Thank you, I'm trying to get a more aggressive look instead of the soft tail down look of the stock shocks. Has anyone tried the piggy back shocks that Losi (I think) makes for the Slash?
    I think piggy backs are integy and why would Losi make them for a slash when Losi is on of traxxas's main competitors
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Haven't tried them but Piggy Backs offer no performance benefits only sweet looks. Most of the extra oil will not be circulated in such a small environment, also with more oil you have a greater chance of having more air left in your reservoir(s).
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Enthusiast
    My LHS suggested trying heavier shock oil first before going springs (said its more cost effective) so I'm trying 40 wt for now

RC Qualifier
    Try losi 50 weight with about 1/2 Inch of preload that's what I did and mine handles amazing and doesn't sag at all!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceroad2 View Post
    Try losi 50 weight with about 1/2 Inch of preload that's what I did and mine handles amazing and doesn't sag at all!
    Thanks the 40wt helped but not enough I'll have to try the 50. What should I use in the front?

RC Qualifier
    So what is it, the higher the w the heavier the oil? I use 50 w in the front and 60w in the rear And I use about half inch of spacers. And still bottom out, how do I fix this issue. I race.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

Quote Originally Posted by vchirinos View Post
    So what is it, the higher the w the heavier the oil? I use 50 w in the front and 60w in the rear And I use about half inch of spacers. And still bottom out, how do I fix this issue. I race.
    I think there is 80w shock oil. But if I were you I would get stiffer springs
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

the stock oil is to light on pretty much every traxxas rc car. you need stiffer springs as well. your best best is to get an assortment of spring rates so you can tune the suspension. the spring controls ride height and the oil just controls the spring. so for instance stock the truck squats bad and seems to bounce around. this is because it needs heaverier oil. but it also bottoms out super easy because the springs are to soft which is why it wont even pop back up after compression.

what i have right now is traxxas white progressive rate springs in the rear and one large preload spacer on each side. for the front i have the stock rear springs with 1 full coil cut from the top and another from the bottom of the spring (to long) with zero preload spacers. i am using 45W oil all around and it doesnt seem to do to bad for me.

and by the way the w stands for weight. 45weight oil.........

another thing to remember is if you try to make the rid so stiff that it will never bottom out then you will have zero handling. these cars are meant to bottom out, thats why they have smooth skid plates. they just shouldnt bottom out over every little bump like they do stock.

how do you tell if you need heavier springs? in my opinion when you sit the truck down or gently drop it from an inch or so high the truck should sit just a hair below all the way up. if it comes all the way up and maxes itself out all the way up its to stiff. now you can adjust this with the preload spacers as well if it does not come up quite high enough. now how do you tell if you have the right oil in the shocks to match the springs? this is a trial and error thing. ok so say you put stiffer springs on and now you dont bottom out all the time but you get an extreme amount of body roll and the front of the truck keeps going up and down (or rear) but tires staying on the ground. this means you need heavier oil and you are to light right now. now say your trucks suspension doesnt get the chance to compress after a jump and the whole thing just kind of bounces all over the place coming back off the ground. this means your oil is to heavy and can not flow fast enough.

also note that you can change the valve inside the shock as well. the stock shock comes with a 2 hole valve. if you go to a 1 hole valve it will act as if you have a heavier oil. and if you install a 3 hole valve it will act as if you have a lighter oil in your shocks.

then you always have duel rate spring setups like the proline powerstroke shock uses. there are actually 2 seperate springs, one short, and one long with a spacer between them. what this does is allows the truck to have one spring rate for light terrain and another for big jumps. then if you get there spring assortment you can do all sorts of swapping out to fine tune it all. now i wonder if you can just use the springs on stock shocks?

and lastly i want to say that rpm also has 2 stage shock pistons to give you even more adjustability. here is the faq page.

http://rpmrcproducts.com/faq/pistons.htm

but dont bother trying it if you have no clue what your doing now. educate yourself so you can take advantage of all things possible.

hope this info has helped you out man
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks the 40wt helped but not enough I'll have to try the 50. What should I use in the front?
    I used 50 all the way around and I bash and with the 50 and preload spacers I had no problem with sag.

RC Enthusiast
    I finally got the chance to buy new springs and shock oil. I got Losi Green 3.5 lbs 2" for the front and and Losi Blue 4 lbs 2.5" for the back. I also ordered Losi 45wt shock oil. Hopefully this will stop the rear end sag. Now I have to plan on what I want for new tires.......

I think I'm starting to get the upgrade bug!

RC Qualifier
    always rebuild your shocks. It will help alot . I use 35 w all around and it handles like new everytime. Rebuild my friend.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

I finally got the chance to buy new springs and shock oil. I got Losi Green 3.5 lbs 2" for the front and and Losi Blue 4 lbs 2.5" for the back.
    These are the springs I run on my Pede. I like the springs but need to go with heavier oil. Let me know how you like that weight after you put a few runs on it.
    Last edited by O.G.; 09-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    OG will do.
    I think my ultimate goal is going to be a monster slash, but due to finances it will be a slow build!

RC Enthusiast
    I got the springs in and on to the truck but still waiting on the shock oil. The new springs in the rear give it the stance I wanted. Now just need the time to see how it performs!