RC Racer

Question Slowest speed possible?

Bought a 1/16 Summit vxl for my 3 year old son. Running it on 2s in training mode. Still a bit too fast for him now. What's the lowest I can go (gearing) to get the lowest speed possible?

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do the tranny swap mod and a 55t spur... I can't remember now which is the smallest pinion...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Excellent. I will. Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Racer
    Thank you.

RC Enthusiast
    40mph RC for a 3 year old? NOT a good idea. I would do way more than the tranny flip and lower gearing. Get a brushed esc and a 380 size crawler motor. (Keep the brushless setup for you or an upgrade several years down the road) And on top of that adjust the end points on your throttle down to say 10%. With the end point adjustment you should be able to get it down so it will barely move at full throttle.

Tranny flip on otherwise stock VXL gearing cant be more than 15mph on 2s lipo. probably not even that high. yet it can still backflip the truck... its all torque lol
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    I got the truck in a trade. i realize it's probably not optimal with a VXL for a 3 year old.

Now I have the truck in training mode but it's still a bit too fast for my son. I hope with the tranny swap it'll be just about right. Otherwise I'll change the spur gear too.

Thanks for your inputs all. Appreciate it.

RC Racer
    Update:

Swapped the tranny. It's definetely noiser now. I did put it together correctly, so oh well....

I see it's geared with the stock 16/50. If I put on a 55T spur how small a pinion can I use, you reckon'? Need to go a tad slower still.

Last edited by gumleguf; 07-31-2012 at 04:46 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A smaller pinion will result in a slower speed, more runtime, less heat... So, the smaller you can get... There's nothing wrong to get a small pinion...

RC Qualifier
    according to that chart with traxxas parts the smallest you can gear is 11/55. with that, trans flip and then training mode
    i would think that has to be within the range he can handle.
    MERV VXL + Rally VXL + Stampede Xl5

RC Racer
    Has anyone tried 11/55 and will they fit? Traxxas doesn't sell smaller than a 16T pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't tried an 11, but I will say that after doing my tranny flip I bought a Robinson 15T pinion and the grub screw interfered with the spur gear.

RC Racer
    dont think an 11T will fit. Motor will probably hit the receiver box, tho i havnt tried that small, smallest i have is 16.
    Flip tranny, gear it 55-16, put in training mode and LOOSEN THE SLIPPER CLUTCH so it dont wheelie so easy. Still going to be twitchy as on take off. u could try 55-21 or 23 with fliped tranny. Not so twitchy on take off, BUT a slightly higher top speed, prob not good for a little tacker and surrounding walls

btw, i thought id add this for an indicator between flipped and not flipped. i havnt tried tranning mode with a flipped tranny but my missus merv is in tranning mode, 50-21 with standard gearbox (not flipped) and it goes as quick as my summit with flipped tranny and 45-23 gearing.
    Saying that, i rekon a flipped tranny, geared as low as you can go and in training mode should dramaticaly slow the truck down. i do rekon its still going to wheelie on take off, especially at the rate a little guys going to mash the throttel. Trim your throttel end like mentioned above in an earlier post.

and yes, flipped tranny is MUCH noisier! : )

RC Competitor
    The tranny flip will give you a 9.72 reduction where the stock is 5.04(number in the manual) with the tranny and diffs taken together. With a 12T pinion which is available since the shaft is practically 1/8" from RRP or similar you can get down to a 44.55 ratio with the 55T spur. Top speed of approx 16 mph at 50,000rpm. We just tried this set up with the stock 16T pinion and it was awesome. At first we had some tranny noise(we thought) but diagnosed it to a pinion/spur mesh that was too tight. After we adjusted properly things were great.

RC poster
    use the controller to reconfigure throttle max positive to 50%. in training mode that will give you 25% max speed

Reconfiguring throttle on an ESC instead of a servo (nitro) does not work.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Reconfiguring throttle on an ESC instead of a servo (nitro) does not work.
    Are you saying what the manual says about the profile selections doesn't work??

The profiles on the ESC work great.
    Adjusting the remote to only give part throttle even if the trigger is pulled to the max does not.
    At least it never did for me.

But I have gotten this to work for nitro... but not electric.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for clarifying.

Not a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Super glue an eraser nub from a #2 pencil or use a cabinet bump stop behind the trigger instant throttle reduction n not too much punch. I did this on a custom paint marker setup to control trigger rebound time on a single pull shot set up.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Champion
    Not sure if you're still following this thread or not, but I wanted to say, if you use a stock NiMh battery instead of the 2s, you'll see slower speeds - VERY NOTICABLE! Not sure the tranny swap was necessary but hey, cant hurt.

stock battery, training mode, and 55 spur with as small of a pinion gear as you can find that fits. You're local hobby shop SHOULD have a variety that will fit.

Hope all works out for you guys - Congrats and good luck

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Not sure if you're still following this thread or not, but I wanted to say, if you use a stock NiMh battery instead of the 2s, you'll see slower speeds - VERY NOTICABLE! Not sure the tranny swap was necessary but hey, cant hurt
    Hope all works out for you guys - Congrats and good luck
    Thank u ffor the simple reply of using the stock batt.

Trany filp is noisy they say this truck is noisy in stock config.

To many times we go way over board trying to fix a problem. Trany flip. Way to far

After controling rc helios airboats carpet racers to crawlers for over 25 years
    i teach this throttle control methed raise your grip till the middle finger is up and under the trigger
    Use the training mode if aval
    Use your finger to slow or retart the pull it is really cheap you can and i have taped the finger inplace the
    Pistol grips need an ajustable grip.

Wish we could just KISS and **** ppl start using turn signels keep is simple and learn how to fix it for free.
    Keep it simple and Free.
    Last edited by yellowufo; 10-12-2012 at 07:36 AM.