RC Racer

How Far Off is the MPH telemetry ??

I just got my Ipod all set up yesterday. I'm running a 21 tooth gear so I punched in 2.1904 for my gear ratio. Well anyway I made a couple of runs last night in front of my house. Its not really a smooth road but I'm used to it. One run it showed 88 mph. I figured I was getting alot of wheel spin so I made another run with easing into the throttle more. 86mph this time. I kept showing 85mph plus everytime. This is only in maybe 350 feet too. I know everyone always talks about wheel spin but theres no way it is doing that because when I get wheel spin I always crash. So how far off is the telemetry ?? When I hold the car in the air it runs 111 mph. If with a 34 tooth gear in the car it runs 100 mph is this 1 mph per tooth ?? So running this 21 tooth gear am I really geared for 87 ?? Have you guys fudged the gear ratio to get the telemetry more accurate ??

RC Competitor
    Its pretty close normally. Why did you change the final ratio?
    I ran a 23 tooth and dont think i ever hit 80

RC Racer
    I thought that was the gear ratio. I thought it needed to be changed everytime I change different gears. My bad !!! I just changed it back to stock and will see what it says tonight. Its raining here right now.

RC Racer
    This makes alot more sense now !!! LOL !!! I almost fell over backwards last night when it said that I was going that fast !!! I just turned my car on and held it in the air and now it shows 85mph topped out. Thanks again for the reply !!!! I guess I shouldn't overthink things anymore.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a 21t on mine and I top out at 75mph. That is at the local airport runway. Long and smooth so no real wheel spin. 75mph is about all she has with the 21t pinion. Fast enough for me and I get about can get 35+ min of bashing it around.

RC Racer
    Well I just got back in the house. Crashed it pretty hard one time... driver error. Ripped the left side skirt completely off the aluminum frame !! I thought it was funny that the body was rubbing on the ground !! LOL. But anyways. I put a new skirt on and went back out. I hit 78 , 80, 75, 75, 75, 75. I'm really happy with knowing it is this fast. I should get my other car out tomorrow and take it to my favorite spot. Haven't been there since May.

RC Qualifier
    if those numbers are off telemetry then you really doing about , 73, 75, 70,70,70,70 give or take 1-2MPH , slap a gps in there also and you can compare your runs and #'s .. also if you happy with your ipod and you got a second leave a remark in the marketplace trader feedback , dont have to but its good forum practice ..
    Last edited by BennyG6; 07-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    The telemetry can be accurate given there is no wheel spin, STOCK tire diameter, long enough distance, and all other things held equal. Once you get get enough time with the vehicle and become familiar, you can pretty much guess within 3-5mph of your actual speed when using the telemetry.

My most accurate results on the Telemetry have been as follows on new slicks and 1100 of runway:
    Telemetry - 103mph
    GPS - 101.4MPH

However, if you are not familiar with how to properly drive the vehicle or you do not have enough room... be prepared for inflated telemetry readings. In my opinion, the further distance you have the more accurate your telemetry results are going to be (provided you have traction). I have used the telemetry in conjunction with a radar gun and GPS device for many many many 90-102mph passes. The telemetry is a great option... I'm still waiting for the actual GPS unit though. If you're in it for bragging rights on the internet then don't come back with telemetry readings... because if we're gonna play that game then put me down for 122mph!
    Last edited by AnthonyV; 07-30-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Racer
    I'm not in this for bragging rights. I'm in this for fun. This takes my mind off the terrible day I had at work everyday. I'm not sticking anymore $$$ into these cars besides parts that break. Definately not buying a GPS. If the telemetry is off by a couple of mph I'll settle for that. I have a really nice place to play with speed. the only downfall is its a big bowl in a road. So it goes down hill then back up hill. So it might struggle to get to 100 I guess. I've only had a 29 pinion in it but I have had it full throttle for a long time. It is nice though because I have great view of the car. These cars are truly amazing when they go past and you turn your head and they are 100 yards down the road already !!

RC Champion
    I did a test quite some time back. Here's the vid.

Jeremy