RC Enthusiast

2nd Drive - sagging/hanging rear (suspension) + T-Bone

Hi all,

As some of you might recall we got a new Summit in April, but during our 1st and till now our only drive we broke the front right A-arm.

We got the A a few weeks ago as well from T-Bone A-skids, Front + Rear bumpers and chassis skid.
    We are very happy with the T-Bone parts and for sure the skids PROTECTS the A-arms and the underpart of the Summit. The front bumper worked super.
    Know the wheelie bar might not look great on a Summit, but it worked great a few times when the Summit otherwise would have flipped over and rolled down from a climb.

We got the A-arm installed, the parts form T-Bone, adjusted steering servos, wheel alignments and added top light bar.

When we got to our driving track, wife saw that the Summit had a strange angle sort of like sagging/hanging at the rear.
    The below photo illustrates this.

Its like the suspension is too low...

This 2nd photo sort of illustrates the same, you can see there almost no ground clearance in the rear.

We also saw on the 2 rear axle shafts some damage apparently caused by the T-Bone rear A-skids as the below photos illustrates.

Any ideas what we can/should do to fix this sagging/hanging?
    The suspension appears to be working when moving the arms up & down.
    Could the T-Bone Rear A-skid cause this - like the parts are too heavy?
    For the "damages" the the axle we assume we need to file on the "nut" that holds the skid - or?

Cheers Flia Hansen-Lopez
    Last edited by seh2000; 07-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Summit with new ESC

A set of dbl orange springs on the rear(stock on the front)will help reduce the throttle squat issue

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Hi...
    Its not only when the Summit starts or we are giving throttle is is basically all the time, when driving the rear parts is much lower than the front part, as the 1st photo illustrates.
    No spare parts where we live. We need to import from the USA which takes many weeks or cost a lot, so other way?
    Summit with new ESC

Could add Pre load on the shocks
    The round knurled ring threads down to add preload will lose some flex but not to bad.order a set of the dbl orange stripe springs and do the preload until they arrive maybe
    Some were swapping front springs to the rear .the rears are softer stock

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamann; 07-27-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    The rear spring. An be adjusted to bring the rear up some but that doesn't look like your problem. It looks like something is broke or bent or something. Check your springs to make sure they aren't damaged, make sure nothing is binding, or hanging up. Check to see if the suspension links are not bent. I'm new to the summit (only had mine a month) but that sure doesn't look like a normal problem.

Check the rear pillow balls as well
    They may be a bit tight causing it to bind. That is not normal.are the rear toe links on the middle hole on the rear arms?

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What your experiencing is perfectly normal. As the summit sits the springs take a set and they get a bit softer. This is normal on all RC's but because the summit suspension is not progressive this softening of the springs can lead to the truck sagging amost all the way down. Adding any weight (as in the T-Bone parts) can effect this to a smaller degree.

Like has been said, the shocks on teh summit are adjustable. Youll notice the shock itself is threaded. It can difficult sometimes but if you lift the rear of the truck off the ground and spin the plastic shock retaining collar up on the shock body and "squish" the spring more, it should help hold the rear of the truck up when its sitting still.

I still run stock springs on my truck. I have my preload adjusters set to about half way. I like that the suspension is extremely soft and since I dont ever jump it, I would rather have it softer and be able to fully articulate. Some people add stiffer springs but ive never seen the need to. Even with the heavier dewalt motor and BIG 8200mah lipos I still use stock rear springs.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Hi!

@jaman:
    Rear pillow balls checked - they appear not to be too loose nor too tight.
    Rear toe links are in the middle hole.
    I will adjust the Pre load to see the difference.
    Its just that we did not see this during the 1st drive, only this time at our 2nd drive.

@Tmaxxed:
    Agree with you this does not look like normal, and as I wrote above we did not see this during our first drive.
    I just checked everything (I guess) around the rear parts. Nothing bend, nothing damaged or hanging. When moving the wheel arm up and let go the damper/shock absorber works like them in the front.
    No noise or other sound beside the sound coming from the dampers.

@pavmentsurfer:
    The picture was just for illustration purpose, when driving the angle is more or less the same. Wife got the photos we took when driving, will post one that shows when actual driving.
    I will also try to take of the wheelie part as this is the only item added, but I will be surprised if this is the case as others uses the T-Bone parts (well maybe not the wheelie bar?!) in any case I will try to adjust the shocks. Maybe I shoot a email to T-Bone to hear if they have any advise, same goes for the rings on the rear axles.
    We like to combine jumps and crawling, so not too sure what the better pre load setting to be - halfway?

Thanks to all for replies...
    Summit with new ESC

Again, what your experiencing is NORMAL... the springs have sagged. They usually take a few runs to "set". This is what has happened. You added some extras (not alot, but even a little will make a little difference) so the truck is sagging... normal.

Straight rate suspension does not get stiffer as it compresses. So it has the same preload rate at half compression as it does at 3/4 compression. This means when teh truck starts to sag a bit, it is free to sag ALL the way down. Most summits do this after a few runs or after sitting for a while and most people either switch to stiffer springs or turn the adjusters up a bit. Its not a problem with your truck or any of its parts, its normal and simply needs to be adjusted.

The E-Revos dont do this to the same extent because their suspension is progressive. It gets stiffer the further you compress it. So while the springs do still take a set, they will only sag so far until the suspensions natural progessiveness increases and stops it from sagging further.

If you want to do more jumping with your summit and dont mind sacrificing some suspension articulation for crawling you can always install the Progressive 2 rockers from the E-Revo... the difference is pretty big. Much better for jumping (rather for the landings). But definitely has an effect on the articulation of the suspension in extreme crawling situations.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I agree with pave, nothing is wrong with your truck, it is normal for the suspension.

Especially if you have no preload on the shocks.

That big wheelie bar hanging off the back doesn't help either.

The wheelie bar is unnecessary if you are running the stock 775 Titan.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Seh2000,

+1 on NORMAL, I must agree with Jam, Pave, and LaTuFu....

I noticed the sagging on the rear of my Summit shortly after we got it. I followed a suggestion on another thread and swapped the front and rear springs. It then "sagged" in the front. This was visually more appealing, but climbing suffered until I preloaded the front springs. I eventually ordered another pair of double orange springs.

I think that swapping the springs front to rear is a good solution. Try it, if the rear still sags there may still be a problem in your rear suspension. While you have the shocks off move the suspension through its range while feeling for binding, stiffness, or sticking.

Good Summiting,

The Kid
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 07-28-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Competitor
    Like I said I'm new to the summit but mine has probably 30 runs on it and I have jumper mine (real high) bashed it a lot crawled a lot and mine looks nothing that. I do have my preload up a little front and rear with it set just a touch higher in the rear. I guess even the same model trucks can be different and maybe it's the wheelie bar, but with mine still being fine it just seems abnormal to me.

My guess is if you push down on the front of your truck, it will probably sit lower as well. If you lift the back up and it drops right back down like that, you need preload. Theres no magic here. Its just a preload issue. The summit springs are probably a bit too soft for this trucks weight to begin with... once they break in, they are REALLY soft. I prefer it that way. I like my truck sitting super low but so that it can articulate without almost zero effort. For how I run, its great. But I have a friend running the long travel rockers (same as summit) on his ERBE and he's had to jack the springs WAY up. Stiffer springs and the preload super tight, or it just bottoms out and rides way too low when he accelerates. He's going to switch to Progressive 2 rockers to solve the problem but its a good illustration that its not the truck. This is why straight rate is not desirable on anything but a crawler.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Seh as far as the rubbing on the axle, take the plastic nut off and sand, file, the side that is rubbing on your axle, or all the way around. Take enough off you end up with a rounded off edge, and not a right angle the way it is now. Might have to do it a few times to get the right amount off. Mine did the same thing and after filling off the edges no more rubbing.
    As far as the sagging goes, mine does it as well, and have a set of springs on the way to correct it. Also might try changing the shock oil to a heavier weight if you have any around.
    Last edited by Edstoys; 07-28-2012 at 07:59 PM.