Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

My Summit build + Questions Thread

Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to use this thread to show the revolution of my Summit and to ask questions concerning the mods that I wish to do.

I've owned my Summit for about 4 months now and love it. I've already done a few things to it (as you will see) and I'm slowly working my way to my goal for it, which is to have a reliable trail truck (I'm not into bashing).

So the first couple of things I did was to install the light bar, that I've yet to use, and installed the double orange springs in the rear.

The next was wheels and tires. I was lucky to see that the Axial Rockster's had been discontinued early on and was able to get a set before they where completely gone. Paired them up with some Proline Trenchers.

Next up was some T-Bone Racing skids.

That took care of the protections of the underside. Now onto the wheel wobble. Installed STRC steering knuckles with some Boca Bearing ceramic bearings and HPP Germany Hexes.

Next was to take care of the branches getting stuck between the upper and lower A-arms.

Today's purchase and install was replacing the 2 steering servos for one large one, a Savox 1283SG.

So that is where I'm at in my build, I'm now going to start with the questions but will put them in a new post.

Cheers and thanks
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Keep up the good work !

RC Racer
    Ok, so today I had my first brake down, the servo for the tranny died. Should I replace it with another 2065 or should I get something else if so what strength, speed, makes of servo should I go for?

Also as you saw I just installed a new steering servo, at the moment it's connected to the original servo horn, saver, arm and pin mount. I want to get either Golden Horizons or STRC but neither have had all parts in stock for months. Are these parts that you would trust Integy's parts as options? As those seem to be the only ones available. OR will the stock parts do the job? I've already added a washers to the spring to make it the best possible as I decide what to do.

Thanks in advance.
    Tekin powered Summit

Looks good.you have done most of the mods for reliability already,so now it's
    Fine tuning to get what you want

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

I mainly switched to aluminum because
    I WAS running huge tires before the trenchers so you should be good until the parts are in stock.the aluminium does help.The plastic has a bunch of flex in it.with the big tires I was flexing them right off. Lol

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Thanks jamann,

Any suggestions for the micro servo?

Speaking of flexing them off, guess I need to set the end points of the steering before I head out on a hike.lol
    Tekin powered Summit

Strangely I burned two out early on
    And no issues since.I have a spare that I've had for a year or more....go figure
    I haven't really researched micro replacement "knock on wood"
    The trans may need adjustment
    Search for shift issue by ieatfish
    Good write up

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I found the post and I believe that was probably the problem with mine, it has almost always been very slow at shifting.

Thanks again, yourself and a number of others here are a great help to new guys like myself and I greatly appreciate it. Cheers
    Tekin powered Summit

No worries just passing on what I have learned here.glad to help

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    The trans mechanism doesn't really require a lot of power/speed, and the 2065 is waterproof out of the box so I'd probably just stick with it. As with all electonics, lifespan is a lottery. Some will last years, others die after a week. It can be due to defect, neglect, or sheer chance. For this the best value/easy cleanup (waterproof)/common enough to find would be the 2065.

How are you liking that Savox for steering? Can you actually muscle the front around on rocks now? If I try to turn and the weight of the vehicle is shifted downward on the front, theres not enough power in the stock servos to lift the truck ya know?
    P2de VXL - Summit

Even with the 416.6 oz-in of the 1283, the limiting factor is the servo saver. It needs to be made stiffer or you can't use more than 2/3 of the torque available. It's likely better than the combined 250 oz-in of the stockers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have installed a GH Racing single sided servo arm, aluminum steering mount (the little bar the entire steering system bolts to) and an aluminum servo horn. I also did the washer mod to my servo saver spring to tighten it up a bit. With 425oz of torque on tap my servo STILL flexes the servo saver like its nothing when the going gets tight. But its way better than before I did all the mods. With a single, large servo, I think these upgrades are actually necessary. Not just "nice to have"
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks for the responses, guess I'll get a 2065 servo and wait for the GH pieces to be in stock.
    Tekin powered Summit

Just my opinion the Kershaw 700 ho is not really worth it. Dewalt is a better choice

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I'm planning on getting the Dewalt 14.4v but only after I've strengthened the diffs with aluminium diff cups (that I'm ordering soon) and Boca bearings that I already have.
    Tekin powered Summit

Quote Originally Posted by rustlersvxl4life View Post
    have you thought of the 700-ho conversion?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Just my opinion the Kershaw 700 ho is not really worth it. Dewalt is a better choice
    I've run with them side by side. Dewalt is better. Even if the were equal, the 700 HO is still a disposable (non-rebuildable) motor. There is not much difference between the 700 HO and the Titan 775.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    I'm planning on getting the Dewalt 14.4v but only after I've strengthened the diffs with aluminium diff cups (that I'm ordering soon) and Boca bearings that I already have.
    You can do that, but I did not find it necessary.

RC Racer
    If that's the case I guess I'll get the Dewalt sooner rather than later. My wallet and I thank you.lol
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Jimmy,

I really like your A-arm stick guards

They look like HDPE and tie-wraps, very resourceful!!

BTW, you'll love the Dewalt

The Kid
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Racer
    Thanks Kid,

I used an empty bottle of windsheild washer fluid for the guards, just used it again to block the the hole from having one less steering servo.
    Tekin powered Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Thanks Kid,

I used an empty bottle of windsheild washer fluid for the guards, just used it again to block the the hole from having one less steering servo.
    A good idea amazing how much stuff gets shot in through that hole
    Think I may make some "stick guards"
    Myself

Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    So as I posted earlier I'm going to order a Dewalt 14.4v motor. What gearing do you suggest to use? I'll be pairing it up with the stock ESC. I'd like some extra speed but don't want to jeopardise crawling ability.

Cheers
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    I have an 18 and 19 tooth pinion for my Dewalt (along with the stock 14). I used a GPS app. on my phone and got right at 24mph with the 18. My best guess is 25mph with the 19. The Dewalt is torquey as all get out! When I get serious about crawling I drop the 14 back in. IMO it's more responsive to changes in throttle when crawling that way.

I'm completely stock with the exception of orange springs. Track time requires a lot of finesse with stock tires and shocks. Be prepared for flips and under/oversteer with the stock setup.

Be sure to post feedback, I would love to hear how much better those Trencher X's perform with the Dewalt.

The Kid
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 07-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    The Kid

RC Racer
    Kid, is that with the stock 68t spur gear?
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Enthusiast
    +1 Dewalt!!

I run My dewalt with a stock spur, and 18t pinion, and I can run it all day like that. No heat problems, no crawling problems, and plenty of speed. I have not upgraded the drivetrain at all yet aside from that.

I also think I might take a page from your book with the stick guards, that is a great Idea!!
    1/10 Dewalt SUMMIT, Lightly upgraded Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Jimmy,
    . That's exactly right, sorry. 18 pinion and 68 spur
    The Kid

RC Racer
    Well I just ordered a Kershaw Designs Dewalt 14.4v and a 18t pinion. Thanks for the help in choosing a pinion guys.

Cheers
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlersvxl4life View Post
    Kershaw Designs Dewalt 14.4v is it a 750 or 700 size motor?
    820 is what is says at their site.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    I went for a hike today with my Summit. The mountain only takes about 45 minutes to hike up, about 5 minutes from the top I lost steering. Turns out the stock servo horn wasn't up to the job, stripped the teeth. Luckily I was able to strap it to the back of my backpack for the walk back down. I was going to wait until Golden Horizon's had all of the steering parts in stock before buying any (sent them an email they'll be back in stock in 3 weeks), but have now decided to order their steering horns ASAP, which will be tomorrow from my LHS.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    I have been getting the itch to start taking pics and filming some of my runs but my DSLR Nikon D80 with a 18 - 200 mm lens was way to big to bring out on the trail and doesn't do movie's.

So today I took a page out of blitz summit's book. Bought a small digital camera that can record in 1080P and rigged up a small tripod onto the controller using self adhesive velcro and a couple of velcro straps. Hope to try it out within the next few days.

Last edited by Jimmy1971; 07-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    Nice looking setup Jimmy I look forward to your movies.
    I'm trying to use my son's Sanyo. I have trouble keeping it pointed on the Summit I don't think it has a wide enough field of view.
    The Kid
    The Kid

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Nice looking setup Jimmy I look forward to your movies.

The Kid
    Thanks Kid Since this will be the first time that I venture into "movie" making, it might be a while before I get good at it, and have the right tools.lol
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    I love it when there's a box waiting for me in my mail box when I come home from work.

Tekin powered Summit

I think I recognize those wires and end terminals. You'll want to check the crimps.

RC Racer
    Will do. Thanks for the heads up.
    Tekin powered Summit

I tried the no solder connecters.One was loose and never did connect right
    I didn't like them so I soldered to the tab
    no issues any more.the dewalt is a hardy motor to say the least.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    @jamann, I guess I need to start thinking about buying a soldering iron.lol

The motor is in. The line up of the spur and pinion are off by a little, so I might try to find a washer to shim the motor with and reverse the pinion.

Now if only the weather forcast would change from rain to sun for the weekend I'd be one happy camper.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    So I went out yesterday to try out the Dewalt and my camera set up. I had to cut it short as it was just to darn humid out. So here are my thoughts on the two.

1st the Dewalt - I think Traxxas should make this motor the stock motor for the Summit as they're the perfect match for each other, and I'm pretty sure the rest of you with this combo would agree. The first part of the trail I was on was all up hill and I ended up being in high gear and didn't even realize it because of all the torque.

2nd the camera set up - I ended up removing what I had done as soon as I watched the recording. About a third of the video the Summit wasn't even in the picture as it was to hard to see the screen of the camera the way I had it set up. Take two will be the same as blitz summit's set up. Another bummer with the camera was I only got 30 minutes of video in 1080p before the battery died, so next time I will charge it just before leaving and try it at 720p to see if it helps make the battery last longer.

edit: Almost forgot to add that I had some radio feed back on my recording which is making me scratch my head.

Cheers
    Last edited by Jimmy1971; 08-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Racer
    Well it's been a quiet couple of weeks for my Summit, but it's finally cooled off so I hope to get out a little more often.

I got the Golden Horizons Steering Horns which is one less worry, I wasn't sure how long the second plastic one was going to hold up before also stripping. Still waiting for their Servo Saver Kit and Single Servo Arm to come back into stock.

I just finished putting on the L-bracket for attempt number 2 on setting up a camera onto the controller. Just holding it I can tell it will be a lot better than my first try. (thanks blitz summit and jamann)

So now I can go from this,

to this, by just removing a couple of relcro straps,

Cheers
    Tekin powered Summit

Looks good.i tried strapping my phone to the controller got some excellent footage of the ground and the odd shrub.
    Quite a bit of everything,but the truck
    Lol ...it for sure takes practice.i would forget about the camera and use some
    "Transmitter English"Like turning the Tx to the left would make it turn more left
    Lol ... it doesn't. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Looks good.i tried strapping my phone to the controller got some excellent footage of the ground and the odd shrub.
    Quite a bit of everything,but the truck
    Lol
    ...it for sure takes practice.i would forget about the camera and use some
    "Transmitter English"Like turning the Tx to the left would make it turn more left
    Lol ... it doesn't. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    That's pretty much a perfect description of my first attempt.lol
    Tekin powered Summit