RC Champion

MMP + 5mm 3800kV? Insane?

Have not tried it but have one sitting around... Could it move the Summit at all? Currently only have 2S batteries...
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    maybe geared low. the summit is a little too big for the 3800. might as well try it and see how it goes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    that combo is good for less than 8lbs truck/car. I don't think it will last long until the magic smoke comes out
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    maybe geared low. the summit is a little too big for the 3800. might as well try it and see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    that combo is good for less than 8lbs truck/car. I don't think it will last long until the magic smoke comes out
    I'm not interested in throwing the money away if it's just going to go up in smoke! It was just an idle question. If I did try it I would try to gear very low (68/8?) and run 2S first, if it would even move. I probably won't try it, because I'm sure the 3800kV isn't really suitable for such a heavy truck. I have two teeny tiny 3S for the miniSummit that I could parallel together, but the whole idea's probably too risky!

I know people have run the Summit with an MMP and lower kV motors, so I know the ESC can work with the right motor. I'm sure people have also smoked MMP's on Summits, too. I'm not interested in throwing that $$ away. I'll probably just finish soldering my DeWalt motor and keep it with the stock ESC and save the MMP/5mm 3800 combo for the 4Pede I'm going to buy.

Now if I can just sort out the three 2WD trucks my wife says I have to sell b4 I can buy the 4Pede, I'll be in good shape! I need another 2 hours a day and maybe I could get it all done. What's the closest habitable planet with a 26 or 27-hour day? Anyone?
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 05-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

RC Champion

MMP + 5mm 3800kV? Insane?

It's just about having proper gearing relative to the motor size. If you geared it 8/68 on 2s, I bet it would work. It'd be slow, but that's expected.

Now you have me wanting to try it. . I did try a losi 1415 2800 (cheaper castle 2400 offshoot) on 3s. When geared for 30mph top speeds, it worked great. I bet I could gear the 3800 for around 20-25 with good results.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    It's just about having proper gearing relative to the motor size. If you geared it 8/68 on 2s, I bet it would work. It'd be slow, but that's expected.

Now you have me wanting to try it. . I did try a losi 1415 2800 (cheaper castle 2400 offshoot) on 3s. When geared for 30mph top speeds, it worked great. I bet I could gear the 3800 for around 20-25 with good results.
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe when I get some time I should just buy an 8t pinion and 68t spur and give it a try...