Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My XO-1 mods

RC Racer
    The front air duct will be going to the esc to help it stay cool at high speed. Been reading everywhere on how they heat up and die on people so that's the solution. Still waiting on the light weight flexible hose from china though for that mod to be complete.

The front of the car I had notice that the factory canard is very flexible, so I don't think it's reliable for 100+ runs.

This is what I did for more rear DF. Just add a hard rubber o-ring to the back of the wing mounting screw to lift it up in the back. Try one first to see if it's enough DF for you. Add two and you might scrape the rear diffuser so stiffen springs in the rear.

Also make a mounting plate for the rear body mount and wing. The body is very soft so this helps transfer the DF to the rear wheels. Do the same for the front, it's much easier.

With all the air going inside the car it's actually trapped in the rear and forces it downward right where the diffuser is so it'll create a bit of a lift and act like a parachute. I added vents on top rather than right next to diffuser.

Also slvr bullet I think this car is very capable of reaching very high speed if you have time, money and patience. Most of my mods here will help you getting more df. If you have any questions or need help lmk.
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 08-02-2012 at 02:42 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the pics will get my project started. Time and money I have its patience is my problem
    never can own to many rc cars
    to many to list

RC Qualifier
    Nice job! Thanks for sharing it

Q: how do you cut the lexan, it looks quite clean!

Did you cut cut other vents, then the one in the "license plate area"?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    np. I use a hot razor that I got from radio shack ($20) to cut out the vents, then borrowed my wife's nail filer to smooth out the lines. Just don't let the females know or you're in big trouble .

RC Qualifier
    Nice, may have to steal your idea later. Looks awesome!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    np. I use a hot razor that I got from radio shack ($20) to cut out the vents, then borrowed my wife's nail filer to smooth out the lines. Just don't let the females know or you're in big trouble .
    tell me about it my wife isa nail tech and if I touched her stuff she would have a heart attack
    to many to list

RC Racer
    LOL yea do not touch their stuff

here's how to remove play in the front steering bellcrank. dont worry about having it too tight, it'll loosen up after a few run

RC Champion
    I'm thinking this car doesn't really need the rear wing. I'm not using mine at the moment. We'll see what happens.
    Jeremy

RC Enthusiast
    let us know. i think that might be a mistake
    to many to list

RC Qualifier
    LOL yea do not touch their stuff

here's how to remove play in the front steering bellcrank. dont worry about having it too tight, it'll loosen up after a few run
    I am sorry, I dont understand what you have done there!

Could you explain it a bit more, pls?

THX!
    Last edited by lcaa; 08-04-2012 at 05:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Looks like he wrapped it with Teflon tape.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr bullet View Post
    let us know. i think that might be a mistake
    My 95mph rustler didn't need one but youmay be right. Only time will tell.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Yep it's thread sealer/teflon tape wrapped around the shoulder screw for the steering system. very simple mod to remove unwanted play. working on anther mod right now, will post up pictures in a bit.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah ponie keep us informed on that one i would love not having the wing on mine also just was scared to start messing around with the design of things. like everybody knows they get airborne very easy
    to many to list

RC Racer
    Here's another mod to help remove more slop in the front. What I did was ordered 2 #30 (.1285) drill bits and cut them down to size. Put it on a drill press then use a dremel to cut slots for e-clips to go through on each end. Now it's close to zero slop up front. You guys don't have to drill anything here. It's the exact size of the hole

Here's how it looks like installed

This mod is simple and very useful. Installed 5 o-rings size 6x8x1 in the hub retainer bolt that goes in the hex hub. What it does is to help smooth out vibration between the axle and hex hub

RC Qualifier
    mods look great , only thing I would do it make doubles of everything because you will need them regardless if your planning togo over 50mph
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr bullet View Post
    yeah ponie keep us informed on that one i would love not having the wing on mine also just was scared to start messing around with the design of things. like everybody knows they get airborne very easy
    Yeah I'll let y'all know. I gotta get the shelf queen out there and go all out. It's time.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    I'm thinking this car doesn't really need the rear wing. I'm not using mine at the moment. We'll see what happens.
    The down force helps keep traction on the rear tires. I ran a few times under 70mph when my wing got ripped off and could tell that the car was a lot more skiddish without it.
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice! Keep them coming!

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Will do sir. Been too busy to ask my friend at the airbase for some run time. I'm currently working on getting actual foam tires made for this car. Calling a few of my suppliers out of county to see if it's possible... Fingers cross 2" 1/4 wide in rear and 2" in front

RC Qualifier
    Get them 4.35" in diameter too. BSR's come at around 4.10"

RC Qualifier
    be nice if somone made some treaded belted tires in our size
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC poster
    GREAT IDEAS!
    I have not done this yet on my XO1 but over the years I have used brass or aluminum tubing to make crush-sleeves to fit between the inner races of both inner and outer bearings to reduce slop. Time consuming as YOU would know (mill off .0005too much and you start over) but worth the trouble.

This is a reply to FARTOFDOOM's Outer Hinge pins (drill bits) and hub retainer o-rings. I almost know I clicked on "reply with quote".
    SORRY!

By the way: Thanks BennyG6 for your replies in the picture and video thread.
    Last edited by blacky2kgt; 08-16-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Reply with quote

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?
    Very interested in this project.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Well guys(comma) I(apostrophe)ve officially started on the foam project and this thing is going to be EXPENSIVE(period) But it(apostrophe)s well worth it(exclamation mark exclamation mark exclamation mark) I(apostrophe)ll update you guys when everything is done (smiley face) If you guys have any questions or need help with any of the mods feel free to give me a pm(period)
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 08-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.

RC poster
    Can't wait to see the results. I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I looked at this. I think they were a bit too harsh and that's all I am going to say about that.
    Well guys(comma) I(apostrophe)ve officially started on the foam project and this thing is going to be EXPENSIVE(period) But it(apostrophe)s well worth it(exclamation mark exclamation mark exclamation mark) I(apostrophe)ll update you guys when everything is done (smiley face) If you guys have any questions or need help with any of the mods feel free to give me a pm(period)

RC Racer
    LOL yea I thought it was kinda funny how the asterisk (the little star looking thing on the #8 button) could be so offensive when clearly I was telling another member you couldn't use it to cover letters. But yea back to the subject...

Finally my gyro came in the mail!!! Still waiting on my setup station UPS got delayed till Monday.... Installed pic will be up in a bit, gotta go cook mah steak!!!
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 08-17-2012 at 11:28 PM.

RC poster
    What kind of setup station are you getting? I thought about calling Hudy to see if there 1/8 scale station would work or if they had any plans to build one specifically for the XO1. I even thought about modifying my current Hudy stuff. I am anxious to see what the "'aftermarket" (in genera)l does to support this car.

RC Racer
    I got the intergy 1/8 universal setup station(http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...3#.UC9nDfXg9Ow)

I was thinking about modifying my Hudy to work with this car too but then the intergy isn't that expensive so might as well.

Dual links front mounted directly to the steering block with gyro installed.

Good:
    Tighter steering system
    More responsive

Bad:
    It's a pain to adjust

Same with the rear.

RC Racer
    I think I've found a very simple solution to fix the front suspension but I need someone with a new untouched steering system. If you guys don't mind spending a few dollars and have a digital caliper in hand feel free to pm me. This mod wont be as smooth as mine though but it will make your car a lot smoother and easier to drive.

Also require you taking pictures to post on here so we could share the mods with everyone.
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 08-19-2012 at 03:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If you can afford all of this awesome equipment, you could at least put some cuut screen over the front intake...
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    If you can afford all of this awesome equipment, you could at least put some cuut screen over the front intake...
    Take a closer look again at the body, upper section barely have any mounting space and lower section is completely gone. What do you think @ 100mph that "cuut screen" of yours will do? I'll leave this one to you genius

RC Qualifier
    FartofDoom is this the one you use as a spacer for between those 6mm bearings?
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Traxxas-2746-...#ht_3766wt_689
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    no sir they're made from a different company, part # KYO96641.
    They come in 10x 3x5x.1, 10x 3x5x.2mm, and 10x 3x5x.3mm

Kyosho parts are permitted, as are almost every other brand.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Big Thanks FartOfDoom! I know that brand, I'm doing the steering mode now, without the washer, I did install those bearings already, working smoothly but I still need those spacers, just in case it might slip.
    On the suspension pins I have the replacement also, I want to ask if what you did to cut it in size, did you grind it or use a bolt cutter?
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    no problem I'm here to help . I used a dremel and a standard cutting disc to cut the shaft down to size. measured the stock shaft with a digital caliper and it's 54.51mm exact

RC Racer
    Here's a simple mod that's very easy to do if you want more front end down force.

I drilled a hole through the foam bumper to the high speed canard and put in a screw and washer so that it's a little stiffer for more down force.

Here's a vid of the result

Sorry wife was being a pain in the something in the back ground
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 09-11-2012 at 01:38 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm working on a mod tmrw that will reduce the bump steer (thanks to blacky2kgt for pointing this out) and will also help with the overall steering throw/sensitivity for better control (this one is for TheStenchOfSpeed) if you like to drag the beast. BTW nice setup TheStenchOfSpeed

RC Qualifier
    I'm working on a mod tmrw that will reduce the bump steer (thanks to blacky2kgt for pointing this out) and will also help with the overall steering throw/sensitivity for better control (this one is for TheStenchOfSpeed) if you like to drag the beast. BTW nice setup TheStenchOfSpeed
    Thanks. I actually made a mod to improve the bumpsteer that made it worse, lol. I thought for sure it would make it better. Working on a new idea right now.

RC Qualifier
    Just curious... how is that gyro working out for you?