RC Qualifier

went into thermal shut down.....

okay so this is the second time this has happened i do alot of hard running with my summit cause it cheap to fix so it gets quite a bit of abuse. So i was wondering about my options in cooling the esc the motor is fine it tops out at 148*F which is fine but the esc gets to point of destruction then stops and after about 10 minuets its good to go again again so how do i cool the ESC with out running in the wet all the time

RC Competitor
    you can make venting holes in your body to help with airflow or you can install a fan on your esc and if you have money you can buy a 1/10 esc and forget about thermal

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you're not worried about the top speed, do the tranny mod, or install a smaller pinion...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    hmmm i'll probably buy a smaller pinion and whats the tranny mod? i've heard nothing of this?

RC poster
    Running my summit as a merv (rockers, arms) and decided to go to close to merv gearing. Im running a 26/50 and summit tires. It goes into thermal when i use nimh in parallel and a 2s lipo single. What should i gear it down to? 26/55 is an option for me.

RC Qualifier
    I run 23/50 on my summerv with summit tires and that seems to be the sweet spot. If you don't have the 23 tooth pinion you should be good with the 26/55 spur. I tried to run the 28/50 and only got 10 mins before it thermaled.

RC Qualifier
    my stock gearing is 16/50 isnt adding a larger pinion heighten the gear ratio or am i thinking nitro?

RC Qualifier
    okay so i switched the gears in my tranny on my little summit and wow the speed dropped alot even with a 21/50 gearing and its still going into thermal!!! I dont know what to do the motor is only getting to 145*F but the esc is keeps either going into slow mode or just stopping completely so it can cool, is there nothing i can put on the esc to keep it cool i need some help here

RC Qualifier
    Do you have something binding somewhere, are you running in tall grass and lugging the motor alot, what batteries are you running, series, or parrallel, lipo, or nihm. I run 18-50 with 2 2s lipos in parrallel, if I run in the grass alot it will thermal after about 15 minutes, otherwise no problems.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    the grass is short like golf course short everything is stock running two stock batteries in parallel and two tenergy 1600mah nimh. I just dont understand the thing i keep the bearing oiled and cleaned nothing is binding but the thing keeps going into thermal oh and i use it as a crawler mostly i have lots of rocks around were i live so this is mostly what it does just very slow crawling

RC Qualifier
    May just be a faulty esc. You can get fans to run on the esc, and also one on the motor. Maybe your slow speeds is causing a problem, with little or no air flow. I know the stock esc on these has had some issues. Mine will run along fine and at slow speed will just stop. If I return to neutral and then gas it will go. I have had it long enough, just waiting for it die and then upgrade with something else. How old is it, you try and call traxxas and see what they say. You may also make sure you are not running in lipo mode. When powered up do you have a green light or red light on your esc.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    well the esc light is red so its in nimh mode and it blinks fast when it gets hot and sometimes stops completely to cool. what sort of fans are there i cant find any on amazon.com (the only place i order from) is there a extended heat sink for it or anything?

RC Qualifier
    well i found a fan/heat sink for the motor so can i take the fan off the heat sink and put it on the esc?

RC Qualifier
    I know integy makes one that fits the motor and then some guys take the fan off and put it on the esc. You could browse other sites with the dimensions of the esc and maybe find one that will fit. If you find one the screws just down in the fins on the esc. I ask about lipo mode, because my son's truck was in lipo mode for some reason and kept going into lvc with his nihm batt's.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    There are a bunch of fans on tower, and rc planet. You would just need to know the size of the heat sink area. I don't have my car around me or I could measure.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    yea i found the measure of the area it can be be which is 20x20x10mm i found some fans but amazon has none below 25mm so yea i may have to venture to another site

RC Qualifier
    yea you can do a search for that size, and several will come up, one for a computer or radio will work also as long as it is
    5vdc powered. BEC on that esc is 6 volts. Good luck, hope you find something that will work.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    okay so i have the integy motor heat sink/fan and the traxxas motor heat sink ordered and here is a story i was very angry with my little so angry i took it to a park that was being renovated in parts and i treated this thing horrible i thrashed it REALLY badly and you know what the more i gave the more it took until it got to point were the only way i could treat it worse is to run it into a wall flat out so the problem was either the really short grass or the slow speeds cause it ran like a dream and took one of the worst beatings i've ever seen
    Last edited by screamsatchildren; 08-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That is cool, maybe was just the slow speeds. I know the feeling, it can get frustrating sometimes. My summit very seldom ever goes slow, sometimes the grass will cause mine to run hot. At least you got to have some fun. It has been 110+ here, so I have to try and run early or late, to avoid the heat.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec