RC poster

Any benefit from LIPOs in the digger?

My son has the 1/16 digger with the 2.5 esc with lvd. Stock Titan motor. Is there any benefit to using LiPos? Will he see a speed or run time increase?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Are you SURE the ESC states Low Voltage Detection?!?

There are TONS of benefits to LiPo... longer run time being the top one.
    LiPo actually has a lower top voltage, but NiMh voltages drop so fast compared to LiPo.
    I think the best way to describe the voltage character difference is that LiPo will have a more consistant speed whereas NiMh are fast at first, then get slower and slower and slower as they drain.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Are you SURE the ESC states Low Voltage Detection?!?

There are TONS of benefits to LiPo... longer run time being the top one.
    LiPo actually has a lower top voltage, but NiMh voltages drop so fast compared to LiPo.
    I think the best way to describe the voltage character difference is that LiPo will have a more consistant speed whereas NiMh are fast at first, then get slower and slower and slower as they drain.
    Yep, it's LVD! The older 2.5s didn't have it, but the newer ones do, as seen here (in small print on the ESC):
    http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl25lvd

I emailed traxxas to ask about it and they sent me that link, which I would've sworn I looked for and couldn't find...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Good to hear!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    well since it does have lvd then the goods about a lipo battery are more constant power for the duration of the batteries life. and commonly more battery life as well. but you do need to take care of them with a charger that is capable of charging and balancing lipo batteries. and you need to make sure to turn the lvd on on the esc before use. if i am wrong anyone please do tell.

RC Qualifier
    Lipos = stronger, longer and fast then NiMh's. Down sides is you need a changer that can handle Lipos. If you plan on keeping with it I would go Lipo and then upgrade to brushless down the road. Lipo + brushless =crazy fast for the most part.