RC Racer

just got a slash and heard of overheating problems, any solutions?

just got a slash 4x4 ultimate and heard that they have overheating problems. is this problem with the motor or esc? what can be done to prevent it?

RC Racer
    also are these electronics good for short course racing? cuz i was thinking of maybe castle electronics, if i go castle, whats the best motor esc combo for short course racing?

RC Qualifier
    the stock motor and esc both get hot, but only over-heat running aftermarket batteries with higher voltage going all out on the truck (going as fast as it will go for a long time)

RC Racer
    Yes it tends to run hot, just keep an eye on your temps and adjust gearing accordingly. If you need more help you can get a fan/heatsink. If you go castle for racing I think the mmp/3800kv is very popular. If you want to go with a bigger batter for bashing then look at lower kv motors.
    Sl4sh MM 2650kv
    Grave Digger Pede

RC poster
    I have a slash 4x4 VXL that is about two weeks old, bought it from a local hobby shop. Long story short, I bought a three cell LiPo battery for it and ran the high-speed spur gear. This worked great, but after about 15 minutes in a large parking lot the ESC (motor controller) was fried. It was smoking and the heavy gage wires to the battery pack were hot to the touch. The motor was also quite hot.

Later we determined that the motor itself was stuck and would not turn. We learned this only after destroying another ESC trying to get the stuck motor to run (this destruction took all of five seconds.) Upon opening the motor we saw that the solid rotor had cracked (or maybe itís two pieces that came apart, not sure) and jammed into the stator. This is really unfortunate as this is the same car that came with a bad radio.

Does anyone know if Traxxas will warranty repair (replace) the ESC and motor under these conditions?
    Last edited by eriktheviking; 07-21-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: formatting

RC Racer
    They have very good customer service, call them and see! I find it funny that you openly admitted that you destroyed it by your fault on THEIR forums!
    Sl4sh MM 2650kv
    Grave Digger Pede

RC Champion
    These motors get hot even on 2s with stock gearing. You have to watch your temps and take the ambient temps into consideration as well. Thier customer service is 2nd to none!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bzz83 View Post
    They have very good customer service, call them and see! I find it funny that you openly admitted that you destroyed it by your fault on THEIR forums!
    I’m guessing they are sharp enough to figure out who destroyed what just by looking at the parts. No point in trying to cover things up. I would like to hear what Traxxas thinks about the split motor rotor. What might have caused that, maybe just centrifugal force and bad luck?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    These motors get hot even on 2s with stock gearing. You have to watch your temps and take the ambient temps into consideration as well. Thier customer service is 2nd to none!
    Talk about ambient temps! This was on an asphalt parking lot in Houston Texas on a 95 degree day. The temperature at the surface of the parking lot could have been 120 degrees. The very nice thing is that the LiPo battery stayed nice and cool, the stock NiMh batteries would be too hot to hold under these conditions.

RC poster

A picture taken a few minutes before motor destruction.

Note how we cut away the chassis to allow for tire expansion due to high-RPMs. Lot's of vibration and rubbing before this mod.
    Last edited by eriktheviking; 07-21-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added note

RC Racer
    Very nice pic! Do you have sway bars? They should help with that tire lifting.
    Sl4sh MM 2650kv
    Grave Digger Pede

RC poster
    Thanks! That was one lucky shot out of about 100.

I bought the sway bars as soon as I found out they were available. We put the stiff swaybar in front and the soft swaybar in the back. From what I understand this should minimize oversteer. I’m not certain if the bars helped with wheel lift or not, they certainly seem to help prevent rollovers by allowing the car to slide instead of rolling too far and catching a wheel edge on the pavement. Looking at that picture I think I might try using stiffer settings on the swaybars to see if some more of the body roll can be eliminated.

Though this is sold as a truck it works pretty well as a sports car (at least for bashing around.) I'm going to try and find some wheels/tires that hold their shape at high speeds. Also it would be nice to be able to balance the tires out, there is quite a bit of vibration due to unbalance.

RC Racer
    Now that I actually think about it, I can see the sway bars where they are attached to your arms, lol. Setting them up stiffer might help, but actually noticing it while driving is hard. That picture just clearly illustrates the tire lifting. If you are looking for some serious road tires some guys run the XO-1 tires/wheels with the appropriate hexes.
    Sl4sh MM 2650kv
    Grave Digger Pede