RC Champion

Question 50mph precations and setups?

hey guys getting my mustang back together and would like to do 50mph on stock nimh. dont know where im going to drive it (the perfect street to drive on would be safe between 2-5 am i think).

but what precautions should i take to go that speed ?

and what would be best for a setup rubber tires or foams(for 65+mph just in case) and witch ones should i get?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Those speeds are going to be difficult to obtain... the small tires (vs the MERV, for instance) are the biggest gearing hurdle besides heat.

That being said, foams are the best bet. I ran those speeds with taped dirt hawgs on my MERV in a vacant old WalMart parking lot and that was almost not enough room.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    oh i ment 50mph for now but i would like to have the option to do 65+mph with the tires

so far i still need some parts to get it running plus the series connector and foams/rubber

Yes, even 50 is a challenge to hit.

RC Champion
    ya just looking around woodstock for a location and the only smooth places to run are ethier dusty heavy trafic(mid night run) no truspassing or big hills (the kind of hill that you could hit 25mph coasting on a bicycal)

but there is a zellers that is being bout out by target that has had half the parking lot recently paved so ther is a spot when the stor closes

other than that how durible are these cars if they lose control at those speeds?

Mine has survived a few wipe-outs at speed... but I have aluminum knuckles and RPM arms. That will make a difference.

RC Champion
    ok all i will have soon is rpm axle carriers lol it will be fun getting there

RC Qualifier
    if possible i would try to find some parking large empty parking lots to run on. at those speed a small rock can upset the car and send it in a direction you really don't want it to go.
    MERV VXL + Rally VXL + Stampede Xl5

RC Racer
    I tried running 3s on a stock car, but with Dynamite U-groove wheels and tires on a fairly smooth concrete parking lot. It would veer off and flip much pass half throttle. There was a bit of fine dust out there that day. I then put the batteries in mine and had no issue at all. My car is lowered, has a lexan buggy wing, Jconcepts Truth body, X-pattern pro-compound belted tires and actually has diff fluid in the diffs (unlike it did out-of-the-box). I have 10k/7k diff oil in the stocks with black springs all around, but going to change to 30k black /20k tan.

This is not to say 50 is not doable stock, The Radio Control Show did it, and with the terrible stock tires.

RC Competitor
    We are trying to get the Slash to do 50 plus and it's a nightmare. It just seems to take flight and skate. Yesterday we carefully touched the brakes and slowing the tire rotation down caused the nose to come back down to Earth--it wasn't pretty but we had lots of room for the truck to skate. Cut a hole in the back of the top of the body. Set up the shocks/springs like the Mustang's-travel is limited and CG is very low--a lot better, but it still seems to fly. The stock tires are just awful. Looking at buying some 4873s or ???? I agree with Jimmie that the tire ODs are really small to go fast. I really want a tire about 3" in OD, not the smallish 2.5 to 2.6. Any ideas??

RC Qualifier
    my 1/16 slash hit 47 and that was the best i could do 26mm foam 35 shore on the front and 30 mm foam 32 shore on the back stock gearing with 2 3s in parallel i miss that little thing