RC Enthusiast

Its Summer! New ERBE owner! (with a question...)

Hi Folks,
    So, after trolling this forum, online shops and other resources, i took the plunge and got an ERBE, with LOTS of spares and hop ups... First a big thank you to the active posters in this forum who are very helpful for me identifying the "weak" spots on this truck and get very valuable info, particularly to 87GN, Mistercrash and others.

I live in Singapore so i grouped quite a few spares and hop ups as shipment costs are quite heavy
    I just received the beast from Amain (flawless shipment btw). Pics and story coming up once i can post pics...

Obviously one of the key weakness of the ERBE is the F/R diffs... I orders two sets of spares of spiders, pinion and ring gears. Reading the posts, I got a feeling an alum diff cup might help, short of doing the Losi mod. I'm also expecting a couple of HR alum cups which are on the way. They seem to help on side-to-side flex/movement for some people, although i might be wrong...

I'll "breakin" the truck and diffs with the nimh batteries over the weekend but intend on shimming the diffs right after and replacing the standard plastic cups.

I read the various posts on this but still has a question on the shims size used in the F/R diffs
    - Some use the team CRC 6mm and 10mm shims. Can someone give me the exact dimensions? Are they 6x8x0.1mm and 10x12x0.2mm? Stainless i guess
    - Also, are teflon washers/shims needed? I cant find them anywhere... If they are needed, or have helped in some way, please do let me know the full size and a possible location i can find them.

Good to be here and looking forward to your advice :-)

Cheers,
    Prime

RC Qualifier
    my only advice is that when you start breaking your shimmed diffs (bec this will happen unless you run 4s and mild runs), and before beginning to lower throttle punches etc, start the losi mod and worry no more.

oh and also my hr diff cups both cracked after 2-3 runs. sorry to come at you like this but have that in mind

another thing. i have tried MANY hopups and mods, and in the end the ones that really matter are the aluminum rods with complete losi driveline, as well as the rpm arms and a mod for the stripping spurs like double motor mount. and of course taped tires. all the other are not so important as those. then a rollcage would follow because this body is soft.

have fun this is an awesome truck!

Awesome...enjoy

I run my truck with the following on 6s:

5319x pushrod on P2 rockers...they are longer than stock so they reset the ride height.
    Summit drive shafts all round.
    Summit arms on the rear.
    HPP hex adapters.
    HPI GT2 tyres on maximizer 1/2" beadlock rims. Tyres taped on the inside with gorilla tape.
    Green springs (f) & Tan (r) with 50wt oil with VDP kit no.2.

These settings work well for me as a general all round setting. Get a castle link field programmer too, this will allow you to tap into the ESC.

I'm having a few issues with diffs at the moment especially the rear one. Not sure if I should get an aluminium diff cup or do the losi conversion.

Enjoy the truck mate...E-revo is awesome.

Diff shimming here
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod
    &
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-shim-a-diff.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Fuzion!
    I sure intend to have some fun.

my only advice is that when you start breaking your shimmed diffs (bec this will happen unless you run 4s and mild runs), and before beginning to lower throttle punches etc, start the losi mod and worry no more.

Ultimately, the Losi mod will get in once the spares are used, and i expect they will get used...

oh and also my hr diff cups both cracked after 2-3 runs. sorry to come at you like this but have that in mind

well noted. i figured its worth a try ;-)

another thing. i have tried MANY hopups and mods, and in the end the ones that really matter are the aluminum rods with complete losi driveline, as well as the rpm arms and a mod for the stripping spurs like double motor mount. and of course taped tires. all the other are not so important as those. then a rollcage would follow because this body is soft.

Chassis flex is also high on the list.
    Dammn, I wish i could post pics yet...
    A few hopups will get done as replacements or hopups. got most of it with the ERBE...
    - the F/R "shock" braces
    - RPM True ARM rear conversion and front arms.
    - RPM carriers with HR titanium balls and GH alums ball caps. I know they are not the strongest but i got them real cheap...
    - Summit shafts.
    - TRX Alum toe links
    - F/R sway bar kit
    - Double motor plate and bolted hinge mount. The HPP rear motor brace seems great but clearance with the shock mount seems problematic. Plus it seems to have disapeared from the HPP site...

That should help a bit the driveline and flex. Not decided on the push rods replacements yet. The rollcage is great but pricey...

Other stuff...
    - Alum skip plates
    - HR alum shock mounts.
    - Spare spurs: Once the motor flex is dealt with, i thought trying a 60T RR gen3 slipper. The trany might not agree...
    - RCScrewz ERBE set
    - Acer ceramic bearing set.
    - Castle link and link extender
    - full telemetry set.

Quite a bit to start with...
    If you do have an idea about the diff shim sizes, please let me know...

RC Enthusiast
    Craig,
    Nice setup!

Got the castle link USB adapter, and the quick connect. Field programmer looks good and useful! On the wish list
    I'll post an update on the alum diff cup mod if it can help.