RC Enthusiast

Castle Creations Spartan ESC Capacitors

This is my second esc from castle that I had to replace, the first one I had it was when it was completely stock and I just used the stock NIMH batteries, I just used it twice a day. The capacitors imploded 4 months later and every time after that run I would connect batteries to it would become a smoke bomb, so I sent it in to castle then ended up replacing it free of charge.

But the thing is now I did the dual intake rudder and dual outlet so the motor and esc get separate cooling lines and am running 2 Traxxas 11.1v 3s 84000mah lipo batteries. Today after running it noticed that now only one of them have slightly expanded but the whole thing is still functioning 100%.

Has this happened to any one else????
    Could it be I am just to throttle heavy on my big open lake?????
    Could it be an electronically problem (another dud)????

!!!!!!!Please Help Do't like waiting 3 weeks for a new esc!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I have had my spartan since Feb with about 40 runs on it. I didnt have a capacitor fail or expand on me, but the temps were like 225-250F degrees after a 5 minute run. Did you measure the temps of your capacitors with a temp gun? I sent mine in for replacement about a week ago as a precaution, not because it failed.

are you saying your replacement ESC has a cap expanding? How many runs on your 6s setup before this happened? If the cap has already started to expand, I wouldnt run the boat/ESC since its likely to fail and your boat go down in flames. Your only option sounds like is to send it back again and wait the 3 weeks.

RC Enthusiast
    I guess that is what I am going to do. Its been at the most 15 runs with 3s lipos.... I love my spartan! Lol!

Yeah the cap had expanded I guess do to the heat?

I wonder if the problem is from is from over heating? but how?

HELP!!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-20-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I would not run it with the cap like that! If there is a brown sugar substance coming out of it, thats even worse. Have you measure it with a temp gun? What C rating packs are you using? It was explained to me that capacitors store battery energy to ensure the motor has enough juice to meet the demand asked of it. Basically if the C rating is too low, the capacitor has to store more battery energy. If the C rating is high enough the flow and resistance of battery energy is lower and thus has cooler temperatures. I would think 25C would be enough, which is what I was running, then I upgraded to 65C and it was the same result, so I really dont know.

RC Enthusiast
    That makes a lot of sense but if so I wonder why you sill got the same result?

Exactly!! There is a brown sugar like substance that came out but very little not like my previous one though. The first one my whole hatch on the under side right above the ESC is now brown because of the first capacitors failing.

I am running 25C Traxxas 11.1v 3s 84000mah lipos? The technician said I would get a lot of run time which I do, and that why I got them.

Castle should do a courtesy check on the ESC then considering I am running the recommended setup and I didn't ABUSE it?

Gonna call later today to see if they can replace and explain the problem......wish me luck

RC Qualifier
    i have the same traxxas batteries ... at first i wasnt crazy about getting them due to them only being 25c... but i called traxxas and asked abt that and he said thts a true "c" rating ...so i have 2 as of now and i used them for the first time last weekend . i put them in my spartan with a castle hydra ice 240 and a leopard 1600kv motor and a octura x442 prop and was quite pleased with them.no issues yet. i did some decent full speed runs and bought it in to check temps and the batts were like 125-130 deg f... motor was 145 deg f... and the esc was about 115 deg f..so imo the traxxas lipos are decent so far... alittle on the pricey side ,but im used to it....good luck...
    spartan1 castle ice 240 castle 2200 Prather 220

RC Qualifier
    RCforever, did you measure the temps of the capacitors or just the ESC body? I am curious to see what readings your getting...granted your running the hydra ice 240, but I am just curious...

RC Qualifier
    I measured the caps with a 200$ temp gun and got like 115-120 deg...I measured the heatsinks on the esc and got around 90-100 deg f.....I'm obviously gonna monitor temps every run and I'm gonna see how consistent they are...the hottest temps measured were my batts.... But they're,still new ,and aren't broken in yet...I'll keep the forum posted...

RC Qualifier
    those temps sound perfect for normal operating conditions. I really would like to know if everyone with stock motor and ESC sees temps on their capacitors at 200+ or is it just myself and a few others with bad ESCs?

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if you said Wt batts you had ,but wts the make, mah and "c" rating of the packs? As tht p lays a big role on how hot the caps will get .....or those escs might have a cap issue....another recall? We'll see..

RC Qualifier
    I was initially running gens ace 5500mah 25C 3s packs, but then switched over to Gens Ace 5000mah 65C 3s packs. Capacitors are the same hot temps, 225-250F. I am hoping the replacement ESC will not have defective caps, thats all I can think of at this point.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnfast View Post
    I was initially running gens ace 5500mah 25C 3s packs, but then switched over to Gens Ace 5000mah 65C 3s packs. Capacitors are the same hot temps, 225-250F. I am hoping the replacement ESC will not have defective caps, thats all I can think of at this point.
    I don't recall if you have mentioned what size prop you are using. But if you use anything other than the stock plastic one on 6s, you will have capacitor issues. I have two Spartans (V2) with stock electronics after 1 esc in one and 2 in the other, I just do not run 6s for any long wide open runs any more.... The ESC is just not made to handle long wide open runs on 6s. Now if you use some additional capacitor banks to ease the stress on the two that are in there, it will ease the strain and share the pain.

I just believe it is a good speed control, just not for that motor, especially if you even only prop up to a metal version of the stock plastic one.

The stock Spartan ESC has two 1000 mfd caps in parallel and a seaking 180 has three 1000 mfd caps..... must be a reason for that.

I have another V hull boat (fiber glass, heavier) with the same motor but with a Seaking 180 ESC, and no capacitor issues in that one. Just saying we most likely need an improved ESC for our treasured Spartans.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 Octura x442's ready to use, but for now I am happy with the stock props. They seem to be durable and are one less source of ESC heat on 6s. When I add my Castle CapPack and I am comfortable with the ESC temps, then I might switch back over to 6s and an x442, or even just be content on 5s and the x442.

RC poster

The Capacitors blew out Castle Creations Spartan ESC

The Capacitors blew out on my Castle Creations Spartan ESC . It happen as soon as I plugged in the 7.4 lipo batteries. Does any have any tips on how to remove the caps with out damaging the esc? Everything in the esc is seal & glued.

RC Qualifier
    If your spartan is less than a year, your still covered by the warranty. Call traxxas regarding on your case. On the other part no one in the forum were done the replacing of the caps.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    You guyz should read my posts on how I moded mine. I've had mine for two years, I run all stock, I run 6s Lipo's, I run 15 times a day on summer weekends (30 runs a weekend), and my temps are always 30 degrees above water temps.

RC Qualifier
    Capacitor mod is a must. Added two additional ones to mine and have had no issues at all. Run 6S wide open. Temps are good and batteries are fine as well. Tech from castle recommended setting the cutoff to 3.5 just to go easy on the batteries so they don't swell. Also use octura prop. My only problem was hitting a submerged log doing 60mph. I was impressed that the spartan took the hit, flipped and rolled and was ready for more after replacing the rudder.
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC poster
    I have a single intake with split hose cooling system I run 2 3s 8400 mah traxxas batt and I run it hard get great run times motor is at 102* esc 112* batts 135* the hottest part are thr traxxas connectors 175 -200 thats getting hot dont want to change connectors. About the garbage NIMH batts everything ran hotter throw them away. You will love the 8400s because of the weight people tell m they are to heavy but i put them a inch from the back any its great.