RC Racer

Motor getting hot.

I have had my slash for a year and the day u bought it I also bought a 3 cell lipo . I run stock gearing and it just kept getting hot. So yesterday I went to my lhs and they said the slash is not made for a 3s and that a motor fan/heatsink combo would make any difference. They recommended a 2s do I bought and it still feels hot. Their next suggestion was to buy a temp gun. I thinks I'll buy a temp gun and a nice dual fan online. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know, thanks Dylan

RC Champion
    temp gun is a must with brushless setup's, help's alot with gearing. I would just run 11/54 and see where you temp's are. It's funny I use to run 3s in my stock slash 4x4 and never had heat issue's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    Hey dylan, I use a duratrax flashpoint infrared temp sensor... Point it at the motor and press the button... works like a champ and it was only $20...

RC Racer
    I bought an 11 tooth pinion and the gears wouldn't get close enough to mesh but I'll try again and im buying that temp gun.

RC Champion
    11/54 should mesh ok - make sure you haven't got any dirt around the motor mount stopping it from slotting in properly - I've had this problem a few times ;0)
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

I have only run 3s and 4s in my Truck. A heatsink with a single fan will help lower your temps. The VXL is a good little motor but I prefer a Castle system. A hole in your windshield and a heatsink with a fan will lower your temps.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    i refuse to run my slash on anything but 3S
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Qualifier
    I totally agree with you, anything less than 3s is not happening, lol.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Tapatalk 2.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    I run my slash on 2s pretty well all of the time, and was geared at 18/50 with a center diff. I can run on that set up all day long without heat issues. I do understand people wanting to go to 3s, and I have run 3s on my truck several times. What I don't understand is dropping your gearing down to 11/54 just to run a 3s. After the gearing change, you really aren't gaining that much from running the 3s batteries. This is just a personal opinion, and I really hope I don't start a huge debate with that comment. I will just say that running at 18/50 with a slipper and 2s, that my truck is completely capable of pulling the front tires off of the ground, and that is more than enough for me.
    1/10 Dewalt SUMMIT, Lightly upgraded Slash 4x4

First of all Dylan, hello from Missouri!!! Secondly, until you get that temp gun you really don't know how hot the motor is, and it may not be as hot as you think. At least, that's what I thought til I got a temp gun. Get the temp gun first, find out what temps you run then go from there.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...