Thread: 4x4 problems

RC poster

4x4 problems

having some problems with my slash. after a great weekend of bashing which is nothing out of the
    ordinary something went wrong internally. upon charging my lipo battery and setting up my truck i tried to go forward slow at first and nothing is wrong but when i try to accelerate the motor is trying but something is not engaging, possibly slipping because the truck wont accelerate. im pretty new to rc trucks but have
    some basic knowledge. any help is appreciated nearest hobby shop is 45 minutes away and with a busy work schedule its tough to make the trip
    thanks

Is your slipper clutch tighted up good and nice? If not, that will cause the clutch to slip way to early. When you changed batterys, was the first battery a NiMh? Maybe low voltage for lipo's was turning on or somthing... Do you know for sure that the battery was charged up all of the way? Ps. Welcome to the fourms!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    my lipos cut off reverse, is it possible that it put a limiter on your esc?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Could it be in training mode? We went through all kinds of steps a year or so back with a fella ....similar issue... turned out that his son unknowingly put it in training mode...... sneaking into garage and messing around while dad was out lol.
    Or, over discharged battery. Did you leave it plugged in over night? Battery gets to a point that it can't come back turns it to junk, paperweight status.
    Try the calibration steps in the manual. Vxl esc tend to need it out of the blue so give it a shot. Also check for wires with kinks. Feel all of them, even if the casing is in tact, they can bend, kink, and separate inside the wire casing, causing a pour connection and reducing the power flow.....
    How about the bullet connectors from esc to motor? Any bare spots touching together, interrupting the power flow?
    All else fails, call the pros! Traxxas support is top notch! They can talk you through some basic tests, help pinpoint a problem.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    If you can hear the motor trying to accelerate, but the truck isn't moving, I would guess that it is one of a few things. I would check and make sure the slipper clutch is tightened down first. I would suggest to tighten it all of the way, and then back of 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

If that is all well and good, then I would suggest pulling the gear cover off and checking 3 things. First, look and make sure your gears have all of their teeth. That doesn't sound like the problem though if you can get the truck to move smoothly at low speeds. Second, I would check and make sure that the set screw on your pinion gear(motor gear) is tightened all of the way. Lastly, I would check the gear meshing. To mesh the gears properly, loosen the adjustment screw and put a small slip of paper between the 2 gears. Then, push the gears together as tight as you can get them, and tighten the screw back down, and then you can remove the paper by rotating the gear.

That is just my 2 cents, I would check things in that order. These are all good things to check occasionally anyways. Best of luck to you, let us know what you find out!
    1/10 Dewalt SUMMIT, Lightly upgraded Slash 4x4

RC poster
    well upon disassembling the slipper clutch im prety sure i found the problem. i tried to tighten it down and everything was tight and also tried to tighten the hex on the slipper clutch itself and everything was tight. when i was taking the clutch apart i noticed that there was somthing damaged and upon further review i realized that the one piece that came off is actually supposed to be three different pieces. the spring in the assembly has been driven into the bearing adapter (rubber) and what looks like a washer with locktite on int is damaged and popped off. also there is a metal ring around the spring and rubber bearing adapter. im pretty sure this is the problem and if i can find a new spring, bearing adapter, and what looks like the bearing itself i will replace that, but if not i guess a new slipper clutch is in need. i have put a picture of the slipper clutch in exploded view. there you can see the spring, bearing adapter, and the other piece which were all made into one by my truck somehow. any suggestions on what i should do would be helpful! thanks a lot guys!

RC Champion
    sounds like the plastic for the bearing adapter melted itsself. update it to alluminium tra6893 and new bearing or go the whole way with an kingheadz motor plate and larger bearing
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    I would also Highly recommend upgrading to a Revo-spec slipper if you have to rebuild/replace it anyways. There are multiple posts on here about doing that mod.
    1/10 Dewalt SUMMIT, Lightly upgraded Slash 4x4