RC Competitor

Building a tmaxx

How hard is it to build from scratch?

RC Qualifier
    i personally have never tried, but if i had to imagine you would definately have to know your way arround parts and to all-together know what your doing

RC Champion
    You would definitely need to know how Maxx's are put together or be somewhat mechanically inclined and know how to read an exploded view of the truck. Would probably be much more expensive, unless you have the parts already. Good luck with it either way!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    TRXnot so Newbie21

RC Champion
    Actually tmaxx parts are pretty cheap on eBay I think besides an engine and wheels and rx/tx you could build one for $80
    There's lots of penny auctions if you have patience and don't mind waiting a while to build it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    Actually tmaxx parts are pretty cheap on eBay I think besides an engine and wheels and rx/tx you could build one for $80
    There's lots of penny auctions if you have patience and don't mind waiting a while to build it
    Those penny auctions quickly turn into 5 bucks. You'd be amazed at how many people happen to want the same thing you do. With shipping, that 5 dollars quickly turns into 10 when it finally gets to your front door.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    Quick tip for ebay and craigslist. Try misspelling what it is you are looking for. You'd be amazed at how many people have put Traxxes instead of traxxas or even traxas. Even try tmax instead of tmaxx. People mistakenly do this which really lowers the amount of people which view an item because people aren't looking for their mistakenly worded terms.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Babby View Post
    Those penny auctions quickly turn into 5 bucks. You'd be amazed at how many people happen to want the same thing you do. With shipping, that 5 dollars quickly turns into 10 when it finally gets to your front door.
    You'd be surprised on how much tmaxx stuff there is. An a lot of stuff does end at a few bucks.

RC Qualifier
    I hear ya. Im just saying.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Qualifier
    it all depends how how mechanically inclined you are and if you have taken apart and rebuilt a rc car it would help alot. in my opinion, i think it isnt hard.. the price could vary depending on what all you want.. but could be cheaper to build your own in some cases

RC Racer
    i feel as tho i could build a revo from scatch and from spare parts

even from my own spare parts i could nearly build one.. im only short a tranny motor and rx/tx

But saying that, i have pulled down my revo a couple of times now and could easily rebuild it now without another truck or pictures to look at.
    OkGo Performance, RC Division.

RC Enthusiast
    building a t maxx from scratch is a doddle, i am new to the hobbie and have only had a maxx for about a month and i'm on my third build.
    The first i bought on ebay supposedly in good condition but there were several broken and damaged parts so i totally stripped it down the first night i had it sourced the parts and re-built, in the search for parts i ended up buying another truck which needed the same attention but had some nice parts on it like rpm arms etc so i got that ripped it down and swapped some parts over onto the first maxx and then sold the second maxx on. Now i am in the middle of waiting for a load of new bits like a FLM chassis and black rpm arms (true track rear) once this build is finished i recon it will be sweet i have a new 3.3 motor new servos new transmission and driveshafts pretty much all new, infact i did some figures last night and including shipping to the u.k (most of the parts i got were from the u.s.a.) it's worked out at around the cost of just buying a new truck (about 300 quid!) but mine will have a load of aftermarket bling and improved parts like rpm arms etc and i'll still have the first t maxx 2.5 i bought from ebay to sell once the new build is finished
    i recon if you can follow an exploded view and hold a screw driver or allen key then go for it most of it is common sense and what isn't goto the exploded views online or youtooob it or fre a question on here!
    Last edited by kamikaze3.3; 07-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I built a 4910 with all brand new factory parts bought exclusively from ebay.
    It took about 3 months to complete and a total bill of roughly $450.00.
    In essenece, I have a brand new 4910 complete with owers manuals, tools, dvd, etc.
    Its great experience IMO, you learn these trucks inside and out
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    yea thats true you can build them with minimal mechanical knowledge but i've done this with a pure breed racing rustler and it was done on budget and still costed $370 which is alot more than a regular rustler and as far as building it takes me 5hrs to take my truck apart clean it (thoroughly like OCD clean) and put it back together again i've done this about 9 times so i know the truck down to the last little gear in the tranny....... but practice makes perfect and watch how you put the diff on the truck i have had to redo the rear end because i put one diff on right and the other wrong outcome is the truck wont move AT ALL lol