RC Racer

Project Rally Resurrection

Some of you may remember my custom LCG BB Rally build from a year or so ago. If you missed it or want to check it out again HERE YOU GO.

It was pretty fast and fun to drive, but the huge motor made for inconsistent handling from one side to the other, and thus a worthless drift car. I tried to balance it out but could never get it to handle the way I wanted. I ended up swapping bulkheads with my Merv, and putting the Rally into basically Stock VXL form. When I sold my Merv the buyer wanted it with the stock chassis and electronics, so I ripped them both apart again, and the Rally had been sitting in a pile of pieces ever since.

Long story, well, long...I picked up a Kyle Busch roller off the bay for $75 and started collecting parts to put it all back together. She's finally back in one piece, and just waiting for me to get a chance to paint up the body and she'll be back on the road.

Here's the List.

4370Kv motor
    35 amp Esc
    Hyperion EX 2S 2200 mAh 45C/90C batts
    HiTec HS 5085 servo w/ aluminum arm
    Traxxas CVDs
    RPM Arms
    RPM Hubs
    HR Pushrods
    HR Adjustable Rockers (P2 rears on the Front & P3 rears on the Back)
    HR Wheel adapters
    HR Servo Guards
    STRC Motor Plate
    GPM Shocks Front & Rear
    Custom Titanium Toe Links
    RcScrewz Stainless Hardware
    Steel Hollow balls and Bearings in Rockers & Steering

I'm sure I forgot a couple of things, but you get the point.

Here's the Pics.

And Here's a teaser of my new body that will be going on it. No Hatchbacks or "Muscle" cars for this guy

Hopefully I'll get a chance to paint up the body soon, and I'll be able to post up some completed pics.

Enjoy!

Ryan

RC Racer
    looks like its going to be a beast
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/281683941894234/

RC Racer
    Sorry for being a copy cat, but I'm putting that body on order today.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by metoo2 View Post
    Sorry for being a copy cat, but I'm putting that body on order today.
    No worries, I don't mind being a trend setter

Plus most of this car is a copy or variation of something I've seen on other rigs. I'm not staking claim on anything being an "original" idea... well except maybe the body

Wait 'til its done, I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve that I hope turn out pretty cool.

RC Racer
    what body is it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by maddemaxx View Post
    what body is it
    I'm not tell'n

There was a parmaraian in the dunes buggin me the other day. Isn't that strange?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by metoo2 View Post
    I'm not tell'n

There was a parmaraian in the dunes buggin me the other day. Isn't that strange?

Quote Originally Posted by maddemaxx View Post
    what body is it
    It is the Parma Dune Buggy body for the 1/16 Slash. I did make a custom body mount for the front of the body to get it to sit where I wanted it to. The stock front mounts on the Rally land right in the headlight buckets, so you will either need to make a custom mount like I did, or use the Merv/Slash style front mount and loose the front bumper.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KeltiKrewser View Post
    The stock front mounts on the Rally land right in the headlight buckets, so you will either need to make a custom mount like I did, or use the Merv/Slash style front mount and loose the front bumper.
    ....aaaaannnnnddddd that's where the differnce between mine and yours will be. I like position of your body, but I must keep the front bumper. This is the only reason I chose not to experiment with the RJ Speed Digger Truck body.

RC Racer
    Mine will still have a foam bumper when I'm all done. Once I get the body painted and trimmed down, then I will trace the contour of the body onto my bumper and cut it to fit.

I thought about trying the Digger Bug body, but went this route instead.

RC Racer
    Progress photos please.

RC Racer
    that body is cool

RC Racer
    I too find the front body post too far apart for this body. I will either go your route or I'm going to get another body post tower, like the one in the rear, split it and mount new mini posts (battery posts) to it. That alternative route will not be as sturdy as yours though.

Also, mounting the body that low may cause the front tires to rub the top of the fender wells. What I may do it use drywall tape with goop to line the fenders to prevent the tires from rubbing the paint off.

RC Racer
    I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two. Not real happy with the outcome, I had some issues while trimming, and should've put it down and came back to it, but I didn't.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KeltiKrewser View Post
    I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.
    you're late

RC Racer
    Sorry for the Delay. I had a wedding last weekend which took up way more time than I anticipated, and a crazy week on top of it.

Here are the pics of my mutilated body. When I trimmed it to the lines I had drawn on the body the sides were very flimsy, and the section just behind the front tires stuck out past the tire potentially catching alot of air while driving, plus it looked goofy.

By the time I was done with it I had trimmed it to the cut lines molded into the body. It doesn't look too bad, but I hate the big open areas on the sides. I might have to try and do something about that, I'm just no sure what yet.

On a positive note, I did take it out for a spin, with my trusty crusty Slash body. I was pretty happy with the performance. I do need to gear it down a little, as she got a little hot. And I need some softer springs up front.

RC Racer
    I'd like to come up with a way to make some side pods like these...

...and I might have to get some of the HPI rims to make it look like this...

...maybe with some 31's in back

RC Racer
    Brutal. Well, this scares me as I haven't cut the body on mine yet. I'll keep you posted.