RC Enthusiast

1 day old and I broke it already

2 things are now not working, the first is the 2 right hand LEDS on the front, no big deal I sort of had an accident at the skate park and the front bumper took quite a hit. Not too upset at that as I expected more damage after the impact, the thing that got me a bit peeved is the transmission servo stopped working.

Yesterday on the first outting there seemed to be quite a delay in going from high to low gear and vice versa. Today I went to a different park with large open areas and also forrest paths. The large open areas were great in high gear, switched to low gear for some crawling then came to another open area, high gear worked fine then it wouldn't switch back to low. I popped the top off and the servo just wouldn't move at all, it didn't look as if it was even trying. I'm now stuck in high gear.

Can these sub-micro servos be serviced/opened or should I just get a replacement?

I've emailed traxxas support but don't hold up much hope as shipping the broken servo to USA would probably be as much as a replacement servo.

Any suggestions welcome?

PS to make it clear, the servo stopped working before the skate park incident, I wouldn't have gone to the skate park if I wasn't stuck in high gear.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Stufft,

I noticed my Summit's transmission shift servo failing the second week I had it. Just like you described, sluggish. It was quite warm to the touch. It appeared to over travel in one direction and then bind. When servos are not where the want to be they get hot as they bind.

I'm lucky that I purchased from a local LHS. They replaced and showed me how to set it up on the counter at the shop in about 15 minutes.

Traxxas customer support gets rave reviews. There are many international Summit owners on this forum, I'm sure someone will chime in with solutions and hope

In the meantime:

Go ahead and take your camera and get some pictures of the wire routing and the linkage of the shift servo for later.

It sounds like the servo is already toast so disconnect it from the receiver. You can then remove the servo horn and linkage to the transmission. You now have a"manual shift" Summit. Not quite as much fun, but still playable

The Kid

P.S. As a "USAF Service Brat" I lived in a small community not too far from Newbury UK for a time. Hope to take my family back one day.
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 07-18-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Enthusiast
    Disconnecting from the receiver might be a good idea, I have already removed servo horn for manual transmission mean time. About to ask what channel it was on but thought that's a bit lazy, check my manual and found out it's channel 3. It's amazing what you can find in the manual!

Search for the thread on sticky shifting
    There are some who had to make a adjustment in the trans. (me included)Haven't burned up another in quite some time

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    I got an email back from Traxxas support and I'm a bit disappointed. As I'm not in the U.S the suggestion is "Please contact the local hobby shop where you purchased the vehicle and see if they can help". I have now duly sent an email to the online retailer, fingers crossed.

RC Competitor
    If the retailer has to send it to the repair center (in Germany as I recall) then don't have high hopes. In my mini Summit the stock servo died 3 times and warranty repair was declined in all 3 cases. Of course I purchased a 3rd party servo after the third incident. When the stock steering servos died in my big Summit I didn't even bother sending them in, just purchased 3rd party metal geared stronger servos (for less than the stock Traxxas servos).

I wish Traxxas stood behind their products and provide same great support as in North America.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sorry to hear about spotty luck for international Summiteers

As an alternative it sounds like E-bay UK may become a friend for needed parts

Good luck!!

The Kid
    The Kid

RC Enthusiast
    I contacted the retailer I bought it from, I need to send the servo back for them to have a look at it. What a job getting the servo out! At least I know how to take the motor off, the receiver box and undo the neat wiring

RC Qualifier
    Did you take pictures like I told you
    The Kid

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Did you take pictures like I told you
    erm no, forgot to take the pictures until after I took the servo off, at that time it was too late. Good suggestion though.