Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traxxas diffs or Losi?

In the last week I have rebuilt my front and rear diff twice...each time the pinion and ring gear.

I followed the diff shimming method in these threads, used ofna 120 diff oil originally with red mobil grease on my ring and pinion. Since the diffs broke a day apart from each other after been rebuilt I replaced the diff fluid with traxxas 50k front and 30k rear...I run 6s, punch set @ 20% and 20/62 gearing. I only have 6s batteries.

Not even 5min of use and my rear diff is gone again today. Its getting a bit old now rebuilding diffs, I seem to be working a lot more on my truck than actually using it

If I went with losi diffs what is needed to do the conversion? Any advice much appreciated.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Hi, I have both the erbe and the MERV. I recently got the erbe only driven 2 times, so no diff problems yet. I ran 4s for about 20min break in period, then I tried 6s not all out though. I believe the diffs might have a break in period, I'm not positive, but for my merv it is a must to shim and break them in, and possible re shim. Just my opinion to break them in.
    ERBE, MERV BB

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post3868456

You prob have seen this, needs some trimmimg on the housing & the bulk head..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Craig, Have u actually ran without shimming? Have you actually broken a Non-shimmed differential?
    Get rid of the Wing & Tighten slipper all the way

Quote Originally Posted by steveski4 View Post
    Craig, Have u actually ran without shimming? Have you actually broken a Non-shimmed differential?
    Yeah mate...rebuilt my diffs many times without shimming but would never last long. I've seen a lot of post on here that recommend shimming but for some reason the last few times i've rebuilt my diff I am having endless issues. I have checked the play in the pinion and to see if pinion binds but no issue.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post3868456

You prob have seen this, needs some trimmimg on the housing & the bulk head..
    Thanks mate, I knew I had seen this somewhere before but couldn't remember where.

Can anyone confirm if the bulk head and chassis are weakened by trimming?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I rebuilt and shimmed both diffs two weeks ago. No problems yet! I also run 6S. I only added one Teflon shim to my pinion on each diff. Hope they last, but if another diff breaks then I'm doing to Losi diff mod.

RC poster
    i just finished the losi diff mod it's great on 6s (2x3s) and i use 18/68 gearing it backflips and wheelies on command and stays on the ground if i want it to i got tired of spending countless hours rebuilding diffs and keeping 3-4 spares

RC Qualifier
    You may want to bump your punch control. 40%-50% would help a lot more.

How many shims are you using on each side?
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Qualifier
    is this really a question?

done the losi mod, never been afraid of the throttle ever since. they also dont ever leak. my bulks are still ok from trimming.

you pay attention and do this mod carefully for the diffs to sit straight, and never worry again.

RC Qualifier
    I run stock diffs with aluminium diff cups and I have not had a problem with the diffs since. I also shimmed them as well.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

good point the alum diff cup (carrier) is a good up~grade to the stock diff.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    I run stock diffs with aluminium diff cups and I have not had a problem with the diffs since. I also shimmed them as well.
    Do you run 6s?
    ERBE, MERV BB

RC Qualifier
    I recently put in a new diff and in 5 mins the whole head of the pinion gear twisted off the shaft. Tore it down and rebuilt it and haven't had a problem since. I also did the lst2 cvd mod and put on a rc-solutions rollcage. I'm thinking the losi diff mod will come soon if I keep breaking diffs.

RC Competitor
    Losi all the way bro.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Losi diffs are a good option, but they can break under 6S too...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

The new diff I rebuilt seems to be handling ok...gave my truck a thrashing today with 20/62 gearing and burnt my clutch out, that's a first for me.

I've set my punch at 50% and torque control to 7.5, my truck is running so fast again...its awesome.

I'm thinking those sets of pinion and ring gears may have been faulty as I have rebuilt my diffs many times with no issues. I'll stay clear of the 120 diff lube and stick with 50 front and 30 rear as it suits my driving style best.

If my diffs pack up again I'm doing the losi conversion.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
    Do you run 6s?
    I run 5s all the time
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Competitor
    just make sure and shim whichever diffs you go with

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Thanks mate, I knew I had seen this somewhere before but couldn't remember where.

Can anyone confirm if the bulk head and chassis are weakened by trimming?
    My front bulk w/ losi diff is cracked and broken but still works fine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal2themedal822 View Post
    just make sure and shim whichever diffs you go with
    + 1

I could never get my erevo diffs to last. No matter what type of shims or where they were placed, the diffs continually destroyed internals or stripped a ring gear. I went through at least 15 ring gears and 10 diff internals.

Add another vote for Losi diffs here!

When i first installed Losi diffs, I cracked sun gears twice due to lack of shims. I also stripped one ring gear due to running a cracked outer diff case. Now any diff can strip or break due to user error... but i will never go back to the weak erevo diffs.
    Last edited by anr2442; 07-16-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

Cheers for the feed back...I cant believe my luck, another diff broken today. I used just one shim on the centre pinion this time.

I noticed on closer examination that if I move my rear drive shafts that the diff has play in the bulk head...this is probably the reason for the stripped ring gears. Is this a common issue with the rear diffs having play in them?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    I just broke another shimmed diff today. I'm buying Losi diffs today. After all of my other upgrades the traxxas diffs are the only thing holding me back!
    I used the truck 3 times after shimming

RC Qualifier
    Either you are putting too many shims in the diffs, or you are doing something wrong when you are driving.

The diffs are not great, I agree, but they last a whole lot longer than 3 runs. Especially if they are shimmering properly.

Losi diffs won't last any longer in those situations.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Either you are putting too many shims in the diffs, or you are doing something wrong when you are driving.

The diffs are not great, I agree, but they last a whole lot longer than 3 runs. Especially if they are shimmering properly.

Losi diffs won't last any longer in those situations.

1 shim was placed on each of my pinion's on each diff. There was little to no play after the shim was added. Driver error you say? Lol!
    The only other option is to switch back to 4S, or not drive the thing at all. Remember, this truck was advertised to operate using 6S. This has been proven time and time again to be incorrect. Traxxas made a mistake by doing that! This is a 4S lipo truck and that's the bottom line.
    Let's stop blaming drivers please. The truck has several weak points, and it is no secret!
    Last edited by Revoroller; 07-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    good point the alum diff cup (carrier) is a good up~grade to the stock diff.
    Where can one find an aluminium diff cup and who is it made by?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Where can one find an aluminium diff cup and who is it made by?
    i rdlogics or flm. they make diff cups (carriers)
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller View Post
    1 shim was placed on each of my pinion's on each diff. There was little to no play after the shim was added. Driver error you say? Lol!
    The only other option is to switch back to 4S, or not drive the thing at all. Remember, this truck was advertised to operate using 6S. This has been proven time and time again to be incorrect. Traxxas made a mistake by doing that! This is a 4S lipo truck and that's the bottom line.
    Let's stop blaming drivers please. The truck has several weak points, and it is no secret!
    There is no doubt that running 6s is harder on the truck than 4s.

But there are many guys out there doing it who don't shred a diff every time they take it out.

If you are, then yeah, driver error definitely has to be taken into consideration.

RC Qualifier
    I run a 20/54 setup on 6s and my erbe is stock except for the gear change. I pound the snot out of it almost daily and my only problem is shredding tires off the rim. Guess i've been lucky. After reading all the info in the forums, I will definitely do the RPM arms and motor mount. Don't want to mess with the diffs until necessary.

RC Qualifier
    sometimes its just luck if u break diffs
    it depends how u land or what u land on
    i only broke one std diff
    but because i like upgrading and i like tinkering and fixing things
    i went for the losi diffs just cause i read thru mistercrashs posts
    and then decided to fit the losi diffs for fun
    havnt broken anything yet since

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    sometimes its just luck if u break diffs
    it depends how u land or what u land on
    i only broke one std diff
    but because i like upgrading and i like tinkering and fixing things
    i went for the losi diffs just cause i read thru mistercrashs posts
    and then decided to fit the losi diffs for fun
    havnt broken anything yet since
    Good to know, tanks for the info!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    There is no doubt that running 6s is harder on the truck than 4s.

But there are many guys out there doing it who don't shred a diff every time they take it out.

If you are, then yeah, driver error definitely has to be taken into consideration.
    They way I drive the truck is fun in my opinion. Also, I drive no different than any other person that I've bashed with. I actually notice that I use more caution than others. If something looks off while I'm running it, I simply bail to save my truck. Nothing excessive.
    Anyway, I rather upgrade these inferior parts than to argue with you about it.

RC Competitor
    Driver error...thats funny. I put 6s in mine right after i ran the nimh through it once. It lasted 20 minutes till i blew the shafts out of it. Put summit axles in and in 5 min i blew the front diff. These things just cant handle 6s but i will upgrade till it does.

RC Competitor
    Double post
    Last edited by X2guy; 07-21-2012 at 06:56 PM.

I've bit the bullet and converted to the darkside of the Losi LST2 conversion. I stripped yet another diff (ring gear) again yesterday just testing out some road rage tyres on my truck.

This makes it # 10 between F/R in 4 weeks. I am not sure why they keep stripping...I've shimmed them, fixed the slop in the bulk head and what do I get for my efforts. Stripped ring gears .

My temper is steaming at the moment. I am not even enjoying me E-Revo at this point in time...it seems every time I have fun it, it comes with the price of a diff. I ran 6s for months with no issues bashing like I do and then this started a couple months back...once it started it hasn't stopped.

Thanks to mistercrash, revoroller for their thread info & 87GN for pointing me in the right direction to links...I have now purchased what I need for the LST conversion. Unfortunately been in Australia it is not easy to come by these parts. I tried to look for a complete diff ofF eBay but no luck, I've had to build a diff. This is what I have ordered:

Losi LOSB3534 Differential Ring & Pinion Gear Set LST2 Qty:2 US $43.30
    Losi LOSB3528 Heavy Duty Diff Cup Qty:2 US $14.82
    Losi LOSB3541 Differential Drive Yoke Qty:2 US $9.36
    Losi LOSA6942 Sealed Ball-Bearings(4) 8x16-mm Qty:2 US $14.82
    Losi LOSB3532 Blue Aluminum Diff Case Qty:2 US $20.54
    Losi LOSB3538 Differential Bevel Gears Qty:2 US $12.54
    Traxxas 5454 Steel Stub Axles (2): Qty:2 US $8.10

I hope this is all I need...All up with postage $150. I regret the alumininum diff cup and case I bought last week. That alone cost me $70 with postage which I could of put towards this mod .

I'll keep you informed on progress and how it works out for me; and if the upgrade was worth it.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 08-08-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    For the centre driveshafts, I couldnt get mine to work like revorollers version as the losi cups pretty much blew up straight away, probably lack of construction by me there. But I went with different driveshafts which I have yet to have a problem with.
    I have their part numbers:

HPI86233 Driveshaft 7x57mm
    HPI86054 Dogbone 8x142mm
    HPI86277 Heavy duty drive cup 8x14x19

I used the drive cups on the losi pinion as it is 8mm and standard traxxas drive cups on the transmission.

Why didnt you buy the whole diff as one though? It worked out cheaper for me around $30/diff. Sorry if it was meantioned earlier, I skipped to the bottom
    Edit:Just saw the complete diff section above, my bad

Hope I helped though, My E-revo has been a lot better since this upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by phsycophantsy View Post
    For the centre driveshafts, I couldnt get mine to work like revorollers version as the losi cups pretty much blew up straight away, probably lack of construction by me there. But I went with different driveshafts which I have yet to have a problem with.
    I have their part numbers:

HPI86233 Driveshaft 7x57mm
    HPI86054 Dogbone 8x142mm
    HPI86277 Heavy duty drive cup 8x14x19

I used the drive cups on the losi pinion as it is 8mm and standard traxxas drive cups on the transmission.

Why didnt you buy the whole diff as one though? It worked out cheaper for me around $30/diff. Sorry if it was meantioned earlier, I skipped to the bottom
    Edit:Just saw the complete diff section above, my bad

Hope I helped though, My E-revo has been a lot better since this upgrade
    Mate...cant find a complete diff any where...I found a complete diff cup with ring and spider gears for $42 but when I added what else I need for it, it worked out cheaper to buy it loose. I use the centre cvd like revoroller...I am going to do the same as him
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    ahh alright
    Good luck

RC Qualifier
    Mate...cant find a complete diff any where...I found a complete diff cup with ring and spider gears for $42 but when I added what else I need for it, it worked out cheaper to buy it loose. I use the centre cvd like revoroller...I am going to do the same as him
    Just saw a complete diff with the drive shaft go for $42 on eBay
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Brewers74 View Post
    Just saw a complete diff with the drive shaft go for $42 on eBay
    Could you send us the link please.
    Rock n Rolla !