RC Enthusiast

Need tips for my rustler

My Nitro Rustler (from 2006) has recently been in an accident. The shock cap broke as well as the caster block on the front right and the back turnbuckle as well. I think hop-up casters will look good, but what about the shocks? I don't think they have been oiled in 6 years and have never been replaced so I was planning on getting new ones. Should I just replace with stock parts or should I upgrade to some hop-up parts? And what website would be the best to check out parts. Thanks for your help!

Looks like something out of Back to the Future

RC Racer
    Just rebuild. Get aluminum shock caps, common hop up for traxxas owners. I've never had a shock cap failure or leak, but I only have one truck that still has totally bone stock shocks! Also get the shock rebuild kit (has all the o rings). And I would personally put the nitride shafts on em. That is the cheap and easy!

Now if you wanna drop some $$$, look at proline or traxxas big bores...

You will also wanna inspect the front a arm pivot. The pins on the bulkhead often bend in a hard impact and restrict movement of the a
    Last edited by goodie1977; 07-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright thanks for your help, never thought about the shafts. Going to stop by the hobby store tomorrow, hopefully they have everything I need, if not online shopping it is.

RC Racer
    Depending on the angle at the point of impact, you might have slightly bent the shock shaft too. Not trying to get you to spend more money, just something to think about since you broke the shock cap. Pull the shock off the truck and while holding the shock body in one hand, turn the shock shaft with the other to see if it got a little tweaked. Hopefully you got lucky and this isnt the case.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC Qualifier
    have you thought about a VXL mod with RPM parts?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by screamsatchildren View Post
    have you thought about a VXL mod with RPM parts?
    That is the best mod that can be done to a rusty. IMO. Add a RPM bumper and the front is very durable. Stock nitro rusty parts are very weak.