Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Today, I tried to give myself total exhaustion. Instead of going to bed when I got off of work at 6 am, I started putting primer on the walls of my den. I had already taped off one wall and wasn't sure how much I was going to do. The next thing I know, it's 4pm and my wife walks in. Got three walls done. Man, oil based Kilz primer is some rough stuff. Every window wide open. The taping around the fireplace and taping down dropcloths took some time. I also had to move all kinds of boxes as this was our staging area. We want to get my den done because a lot of big stuff goes in there, and we can get a storage locker emptied out. Not to worry, I took a nap for four hours, so I might be throwing some red paint on some basement cabinets....no work tomorrow!

I don't mind the paneling, but my wife says it has to go...

Everybody else had homemade tacos and they dropped me off some. I didn't have time to assemble everything, so I just cut up a tea jug to make a bowl. No dishes in here yet!!

Always a great helper......

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 08-02-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Just a quick check in. Going to try and finish my den today. Myself priming the last wall and my wife & mother-in-law painting the paint on the rest. I did get a coat of paint on my basement cabinets and I think they're pretty cool looking.

Den's gonna look a lot different with the paint on there....

Red cabinets look cool....

RC Champion
    I like the red. Very Traxxas lol. Gonna get a Traxxas banner to hang in there?

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas does make banners, that will be cool to hang.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    I like the red. Very Traxxas lol. Gonna get a Traxxas banner to hang in there?
    Nah, I had a Traxxas banner, but I gave it to a buddy to hang on the fence around his track. I do have a Parma paint banner and some other stuff I'm going to hang.

RC Champion
    Had a pretty good couple of days' work at the house. We got my den completely painted and it looks pretty good. Can't wait to get my gunsafe and flytying bench in there! We started on the third bedroom, worried about the wallpaper on one of the walls, but it turned out to be easy to get off. I stayed up all night caulking every crack and gap in the trim and also trying to patch up all the wall defects. I had one really bad spot that must have gotten wet that was below a window. Too much patch to dry completely, so I'll finish it up tomorrow. While my wife and her mom were painting, I ripped up the carpet to see the condition of the floor underneath. To our delight, all we have to is get out the staples and mop it, and it will be ready for our furniture.

Den looks good, despite the scrappy night pic.

Rough spot in the bedroom. Lots of patching and sanding...

Prior dining room shot

And with the carpet removed.....

The living room is not progressing except as a storage spot....

RC Champion
    Just some quick notes; almost time for dinner. Woulda had phone and Internet today, but a plug was missing from our interface box outside, so they have to send out a tech -- next week!! Aarrrggg. The dining room is almost done. Not sure if she wants to do another coat of white on the trim or not. Looks nice with the wood floor. Just have to get some corner round to hide the gap left from the carpet.
    I'm also going to start on my little workout area in the basement. Need to scrape, paint the walls, and put down some floor epoxy. Shouldn't be too bad. I now have two coats on half of the basement. Ready to mop and coat the floor. Also,I finally got done with my patchwork in the third bedroom. Still not perfect, but WAY better than it was. Looks like they kept an enraged gorilla in that room. Floor needs redone, but that will be a later date. Soon as that room is wrapped up, my wife wants to start on the main bathroom. Lots of wallpaper removal in there, and a new cabinet to go up. Perhaps a new vanity, mirror, lights and sink as well. We'll see.... PICS!

Rough....

Luckily, we have good supervision......

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 08-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    We want more pictures!:d

RC Champion
    Well, you're in luck. We finally got Internet service, (somehow my wife got a tech here yesterday) and she got the wireless set up last night. She's in the process of painting the third bedroom, with three coats of paint on the trim so far, and the walls are next. I didn't have to work Thursday night, but need to keep my sleep schedule, so I stayed up all night and worked on my workout room/bathroom in the basement. Two walls are wood paneling and two are mortar. Not too bad of an area, but I want to eventually have every bit of basement wall covered in at least two coats of Drylok. Extra wetness security, plus it just brightens things up. I also decided to cover the wood paneling with some primer and then white semi-gloss paint. It's a fairly large room and lends itself perfectly to housing my Nautilus Smith machine. No, I'm not in any hurry to start working out; (I feel like I'm working two full-time jobs as it is) but there were a ton of big pieces to that machine blocking access to part of my storage locker, so I decided to get them out of there. I'm also a huge Buckeyes fan, so I'm going to put a red accent stripe around the room and hang all my OSU stuff in there. Anyways, I need to get some sleep, so here are the usual pics. Now that I have my laptop set up and have found my good camera, (all these pics so far are from my Ipod) I can snap some good photos in the future.....

The "before" pic....

Kinda looks like a dungeon, huh? The bad lighting helps that perception. This room is also getting tube lights...

Another trashcan full of scrapings....

Much better!

I also forgot to mention that the whole basement floor is going to get this applied to it. Should help with brightening things up (along with nine 4 ft. tube lights).

I think all of this work down here is starting to pay off. The current humidity is 55%, and the dehumidifyer actually shuts off. (And it rained yesterday!!)

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 08-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looking good!
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Competitor
    more pictures?
    Could you go and flip my truck back over?

RC Champion
    Got a little more done today. My wife and her mom painted the third bedroom and I cut up some ply wood & foam sheets to cover the crawl space access and the coal door. Need to get another concrete drill bit as my Tapcon bit is about shot.

Foam sheet cut just to fit the crawl space.

Plywood installed.

Extra layer of caulk just to sure there's no chance of water getting in.

Insert 3" thick styrofoam, caulked to seal and installed plywood. Just gotta paint those to match the wall.

A finished shot of the dining room.

RC Competitor
    nice, cant wait to see your "rc labatory" when its done

RC Competitor
    laboratory*.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I only get to work on it bits and pieces at a time. For some reason, my wife thinks its more important to have bedrooms and the kitchen functional before setting up my RC stuff! Seriously, though; we've been in the house exactly a month now and have gotten a lot done. Three bedrooms are painted (with furniture in two), my den is painted (pretty much a staging area for painting supplies and tools), the roof has been replaced, the entire outside is painted, new entry locks & deadbolts installed (with one being a slick keypad for keyless entry), the basement is cleaned out and half waterproofed, laundry room completed, the kitchen is stocked with everything (painted cabinets and walls to come), and we have phone & wireless internet (no dish Tv yet, who has the time?).
    In the works are stripping wallpaper and painting the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, painting the living room and ripping up that carpet, painting the stairway and the upstairs hallway, painting part of the finished attic (already a bed and furniture up there), finishing painting the garage trim, and filling everything up with furniture. I think the next few days we may turn our attention to some yard work because some stuff is starting to get overgrown. There is a partially planted garden that's eighty percent weeds as tall as me. We also got some neat flexible tiles to extend the size of our patio to put the grill and furniture on. Oh yeah, I bought a new grill to goneith the new house, so I have to put that together. Before I can do that, I have to rip out some shrubs and ivy that are growing up the side of the garage. Kinda looks like Wrigley Field! We also have plans to put in a 12 x 28 shed with gravel in between it and the one car garage. We have an electrician scheduled to come in and split up some circuits, because the upstairs and part of the kitchen are all on one!! We've tripped it several times as we keep adding stuff. Also making an appearance will be an HVAC guy to run ductwork to the upstairs bedrooms.
    And of course, IN MY SPARE TIME, I'm trying to get my basement work shop done!! So much to do yet! But we are loving it!! The best most fantastic part of all this is this house was paid for in CA$H with the equity we had in our previous house and everything mentioned has been paid for in full from the saving we have built for many years in preparation for this move. No bills due for any of it!! Save your pennies, kids! One day it can pay off big time. We still have an emergency fund built up and retirement monies. We even have three years' worth of property taxes save up, just in case. We couldn't be more pleased!!

RC Competitor
    nice man! your making me jealous:3

RC Champion
    That's the way to do it!!! I'm happy for you as it seems you'll have a dream home for years to come

RC Champion
    Yeah, it's like a dream come true and in between all the hard work, we can't stop smiling. Didn't get a whole lot done yesterday. She put the finishing touches on the third bedroom and I put the curtains back up. Just have to get all the painting junk out of there and hit the floor with a bit of Murphy's oil soap and that room will be ready for furniture. We're going to do a bit of bed swapping as for some reason, we put our king bed in the front of a storage locker. The king will go in the Master, the queen from the master into the second bedroom, and the bed from the second into the third. The bedroom set that will be in the 3rd bedroom is pretty cool. Her Dad got it at an estate auction for us a few years back and its been dated as turn of the (20th) century. Hand carved head board, two side cabinets, and a nice dresser with the original mirror and marble top. Going to look awesome in this house. Yesterday, I mostly cleaned the den and garage up, as they were both looking a little cluttered and I was starting to take too much time to find tools. We also did some shopping around for a new recliner, because our old was looking a little ragged out and upon close inspection, I discovered some mildew spots around the bottom from being in storage for so long. Nothing else seems to have been affected the same way. Anyways, we found a sweet leather swiveling rocking cushy recliner at a Mom & Pop furniture dealer for just over half price of one we almost bought a big chain store. I see future naps in that thing! No work tonight. Except, that is, in my basement! I have to keep my sleep schedule, so I'll be up until 5 or 6am working on stuff down there. Lots of pics tomorrow. Really need to get more walls done so I can paint the floor. Once that is accomplished, the real workshop can be set in place. Speaking of sleep, I need to get some right now; more later today.....

RC Competitor
    Nice:3…

RC Champion
    Haven't gotten any major things done. We've mostly been moving boxes into the house and arranging furniture and such. I did get a little basement time the other night and got my bathroom almost completely painted. I'm going to put another coat of light gray epoxy paint on the floor and add a red stripe around the room to go with my Buckeyes theme. I also added a four foot tube light at one end to brighten things up. Our living room is all set up and it's generally starting to feel like home. The garage is almost completely painted, too. Now that things are somewhat normal, I need to do a little yard work. Right now, there are bushes and climbing plant almost completely enveloping the garage, so I'm going to get rid of most of it and enlarge my patio a bit. I also need to build my grill! I have tomorrow off from work, so after I sleep a few hours in the morning, I'll be mowing and trimming and ripping out some bushes. Sleeping is what I should be doing now, so time for pics....

Really, it looks brighter than this....

A little fuzzy, but you get the idea.

This is a picture of the floor at the doorway to my bathroom. Floor looks great painted up!

These pics just don't do justice to how bright it is in here now. I'll be adding a cover for the extension cord where it will run down the wall.

RC Competitor
    nice house:3

RC Champion
    Thanks, man! We can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. (The far wall of our storage locker, anyways.) My wife got a lot of stuff out of there yesterday and we managed to get our largest piece of furniture (a 6 1/2 foot wooden hutch that's four feet wide) up the stairs and into a bedroom. We also got another coupon from Lowe's for savings if we spent $250. I was about out of Drylok, and I know I'll need more floor epoxy; so off we went. That's $140 just for that. We also got ten more paint tray liners, some outdoor lights, and a host of little stuff. I also got five more large plastic totes, because if I have to store stuff in the basement, it will need to be in something air and water tight. Even with all this waterproofing, I want to be sure my stuff won't have that "basement smell" to it. She also found her old floor scrubbed in the locker that she doesn't really need anymore. We got her a new steamer for the kitchen that works great and is a lot smaller, so she said I could have it for the basement. I had contemplated getting an industrial style mop and wringer, but that's almost a hundred bucks! I got a sponge style one and used a bucket when I did my workout room floor and it lasted about five minutes. The rest I did on my hands and knees with the sponge and scrub brush. No thank you! The area I have left is about four times larger than what I have done. I am very happy to have this machine. Thus, it is my only pic.....no work today. I'm just home from work, so off to sleep for a few hours then I'll be attacking my overgrown yard.....

RC Competitor
    Awesome man:3

RC Competitor
    Im gonna have to come and visit you sometime haha

RC Qualifier
    You're really coming along! Looks good! I wish I had the whole basement for R/C, I don't even have a basement... Just a little corner in the garage with a shelf for extra parts is all I get, and with 5 R/Cs it can get crowded.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah, we're really fortunate to have gotten this house. As soon as we saw it, we knew it was the one for us. I mean, our realtor made the easiest commission ever on us. Before this came on the market, we had our sights set on a ranch house that was more finished (and more pricey) than this one and had an inground pool and a big yard with a fence already in place. For some reason, the basement ceiling was only 5' 6" high!! It was nice and huge, but we had to stoop the whole time we were down there. With the laundry being down there, and me spending so much time down there, it was a deal breaker. Then this came on the market, and then they dropped the price before we even looked at it. We fell in love with the place. Enough blabbing! I have important RC laboratory updates!!
    I have been trying to keep as much stuff as I can upstairs and in my garage as I can, so when I finally was ready to paint the basement floor, I could do so without having to move so much stuff around. We today is that day!! I had to work until ten pm to fill in for someone and I have tomorrow (today) off. I will be back on third shift, so I had to get back on my sleep schedule. That is why I am still awake. What to do all night? Crank some Rob Zombie, open a can of Monster, and start moving everything to one side of the basement. This house is like a fortress. I was afraid the wet-vac would be too loud to use at night with my wife in bed, so she said she'd call my cell phone if it was too loud. This thing is as loud as my shop vac! I proceeded to fire it up and after about ten minutes my phone vibrates. Darn. My wife says, "When are you going to turn it on? I'd like to go to sleep, so test it already!" I tell her I've been running it for awhile. "Didn't hear a thing," she says. "Have fun in your basement! Love you; I'm going to sleep!" WIN!!!! So, after five hours, my floor has been scraped, swept, mopped, dried (hair dryer & fan & dehumidifier), and painted with the same epoxy light gray floor paint as I used in the lavatory. I didn't realize how much paint was still on the floor, there was so much grime and dirt on it. Looks awesome!! Tomorrow after bringing some more boxes from the locker and working on whatever she wants me to do, I'll put a second coat on it. Hopefully by Wednesday, I will be assembling some work benches! I already have some Rc boxes waiting to be opened sitting in the workout room. Oh, so close!! Stay tuned.... now for some pics.....

Dirrrrrty

Ugly, but clean.

TaaaaaDaaaaa!!!

Looking great!

Even painted under the sink. NOT fun....

Another view.

This workshop is going to be gaaareat!

RC Champion
    Looks great! This makes me a little jealous.

RC Champion
    Solid looking old home
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Made some good progress tonight. No work, like I said before, so I got to stay up and play in the basement all night. It's pushing 6am, and I'm still awake. I got a second coat of epoxy put down on the basement floor and started my accent stripe in the workout/bathroom. We alsongot a few more boxes hauled into the house. Our electrician was over today, as well. He split up some of the circuits, so no more tripped breakers. Tomorrow we have an HVAC guy coming to run vents to the bedrooms and put in central air. That will be nice! No more sweating to death in the house all the time. I'm getting sleepy finally, so here are some pics of today's progress....

We also found this little guy outside our side door. My wife made him a little nest and moved him to some shade. He gulped down some water and Mama bird came by later and gave it some food. The little chick disappeared after awhile, hopes its ok.

Quite a difference!

Look what I found in a box!! Had to get it out and at least look at it for awhile....

The start of my racing stripe. Hey, she said she didn't care what I did down there!

Should look good after a few more coats and the tape is gone.

RC Champion
    Yep. I'm jealous. What floor coating did you use? The floor looked like it had a fair amount of stains. I was looking into UCoatIt and they said you had to have VERY clean and stain free concrete for good adhesion. I think it's just to get you to buy their overpriced cleaner.
    Last edited by TraxxasTuesdays; 08-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.

RC Champion
    I used Epoxy seal by SealKrete. Hopefully it will hold up for awhile. I probably should have used hydrochloric acid to etch it and really clean it up, but I think a wire brush along with a bristle brush full of Tide & hot water, followed with a mopping did good enough for me. Once the HVAC guys are done tomorrow, I can start setting things in place in the basement. I also got my gunsafe moved into the house. All of our lockers will be empty in a matter of days. Off to work now....

Here's that paint.....

RC Champion
    Thanks! ........
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    Here's the web page for that stuff. Got it at Lowe's; about $20 a gallon, I believe. I think two gallons will do my entire basement with 2 coats. So far I've coated what I've done with two coats and I'm at about a gallon and a cups' worth of paint. Water cleanup is a definite plus. Armor gray is the color. Pretty bright.....

http://www.seal-krete.com/epoxyseal.htm

Oh, and I meant to say muriatic acid, not hydrochloric, jeeez!

Lookin good!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Thanks for all the positive responses. This turned into quite the thread. I'm sure that it is boring to some, but now I keep updating it and my friends from where I moved from and my family in other States can see the progress. Instead of Facebooking and emailing a bunch of people, they can just check this out. Yesterday (to me), I got off work at 7pm, but had to stay up all night so I would sleep in and be ready for tonight's shift. I worked from 8pm to 4:30am and just got home.

Anyways, I got a lot done in the basement as my wife slept. I finally got enough of the floor painted to start working on my RC work area. The first thing I did was take down the older tube lights that were hanging from chains. They were lower wattsge than the ones I have and mine can be mounted directly to the rafters for better light coverage. They are all plugged into recepticles in the ceiling and are all controlled by a single wall switch. Pretty sweet. After that chore was done, I started assembling my steel workbench. They are a bit of a challenge by myself because the shelves are really heavy and the unit it very unstable until it is complete and all the bolts are tight. I also had to be fairly careful because steel falling and scraping on concrete can make a lot of noise. Further adding to the challenge is the fact that the entire basement REALLY slopes to the floor drain across the room. The difference in the floor height from one end of the six foot span on my workbench to the other is 4 & 1/2 inches!! I suppose I could have done careful calculations and hacksawed the legs up to level the shelves. I decided to just put different thicknesses of wood under each leg until the whole thing was as close to level as I could get. After everything was built, and levelled up, it is pretty solid. I have more of these units to build and each time it gets a little easier. The next set is going on the opposite side of the room and I will set the top shelf lower in the supports and put a thick plywood top on that for general woodworking so I can drill into stuff without hurting my bits. That bench will have my grinder, vise, dremel press and pegboard to hand all my general tools on.

In addition to all that, I put the final coat of paint on the racing stripe in the Buckeye themed workout/bathroom. My next project will be the cold storage room. The walls need scraped and painted, and the wood shelves are going to get ripped out. They could stay, but I have just enough wire racking to fill two walls for general storage. The less wooden fixtures, the less moisture will be absorbed down there. Plus I have a bunch of black plastic totes to store everything in, and I can set all the shelves to fit them perfectly. I don't want any stuff getting moldy. With all the fresh paint, it really doesn't have that "basement smell" at all anymore, but I just want to be sure. The floor will also get a bit of hydraulic cement skim where it has leaked and then the epoxy floor paint.

Our storage lockers are almost totally empty; maybe four or five pickup loads left. We have been really pushing hard to get them emptied out by the end of this month so we don't have to pay more. The guy wont pro-rate them at all, so a day or two into September equals paying for the whole month. All in all, everything is fitting well, except the kitchen. We had a lot more cabinets before in our old house. I had an old buffet in my den before, but I'm giving it up to the dining room so she can use it for non-essential kitchen storage. A fresh coat of paint and it will look better.

Putting photos in my posts just got a bit more complicated, because my photobucket account is full! I have to upgrade to a pay account to download anymore photos! To load these pics, I have to email them to myself, download them to my kindle, and pull them out with Tapatalk. I'll have to upgrade or find a different photo hosting site, I guess....

Oh yeah! We've got central air now, too! Nothing runs like a Trane!

Time to brighten the place up....

A start....

Something doesn't seem quite right here.

That's better!

Hello, old friend!!

Just a start; but it is REALLY starting to feel like home now!

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 08-26-2012 at 05:34 AM.

RC Champion
    Trying to get my picture problem worked out. One problem is that I can't find an app that is on both my Ipod and Kindle.
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 08-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have been using Facebook lately... I upload to a locked (only I can see) folder and then post the location in the forum which gives permission to see it.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you tried photobucket?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Have you tried photobucket?
    Did you read post #75? Now if I try to upload pics, it says Failed: album is over the 1000 limit. I'm only at 13% capacity. Maybe if I create a new album for more pics? I have like 2500 pieces of media in my default album. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll upgrade to pro.....

RC Champion
    Ha! I finally got my problem solved. I just had to create another album to upload to and make it my new default album. What was throwing me was that I kept trying to upload the pictures that failed to upload. Even though I created a new album, they kept trying to load to the one that was full. When I deleted them from the failed upload file on photobucket and then re-uploaded them after creating a new default upload album, it worked fine. Jeez, so simple!

Now for the pics that didn't make it in the last post....

Like I said, I got my racing stripe done.

The start of my RC area was to install some serious lighting!

The start of my RC workbench....

Can you say unlevel floor? The pegboard IS level.....

Gonna have to fix this....

Not totally perfect, but good enough for now. A little shimming of the legs and it will be.

Hello, old friend!!

FAR from complete, but it's a pretty good start.