RC Qualifier

How hard is an engine swap on Slayer Pro?

I currently have a 1/16 Slash, and love it. Have owned a 2.5 Revo and loved it. It looks like I will be re-joining the workforce soon, and happen to have nitro fever. I have a ton of experience with electric, down to swapping every single part. I have an intermediate amount of experience with nitro, including working on every subsystem, but never an engine swap.

I have owned 1 OS engine and 1 Traxxas. What I would like to do is get a Slayer Pro and do an engine swap before I even run it. I realize the 3.3 is much better than the 2.5 which I had owned, but I would like to swap an OS and sell the 3.3, as they are rather popular and draw a good price.

1. Is there an OS engine that is a direct fit? I have no access to machining.
    2. Is there an OS conversion kit if no direct replacement.

I would consider a Picco as I have heard a lot about them also, so same question for that brand.

RC Champion
    Its very easy, if you can work on the the 1/16 like you say you'll have no problem.

The OS 21TM w/Revo manifold is a direct drop in replacement. The other option is the Ofna 26 Picco MAX JL Red-Dot, but you have to buy the Ofna mount separate.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    but that mount is only like 20 bucks not to bad. cause that's what i'm going to drop in my slayer pro when 3.3 wears out....

A O.S 21m is a direct drop in to the slayer without having to change any mounts or linkages. I have heard nothing but good reviews and great things about the O.S 21M. They say it holds a tune very well, great power, very fuel effeicnt, and replacement parts are well made and cheap to get. That's what I plan on dropping into my slayer once the 3.3 bites the dust 5 or 10 gallons from now...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    I had nothing but trouble with my OS .21tm. It constantly ran hot (295+) and really never had too much power. I sealed this motor tight too. I sent it back to Hobby services for warranty and they replaced the bearings, piston, sleeve. Incredible customer service but the motor ran the exact same after I got it back. I contacted amainhobbies where I purchased it from and they said there has been a lot of complaints on this motor and OS has discontinued the block. Amainhobbies took it back and gave me complete refund, incredible customer service too, and so I got a Picco red dot that runs awesome!!

I wouldn't get an OS .21tm based on my experience and would highly recommend a Picco red dot....from amainhobbies too. I bought the OS based on online praise but it was horrible for me and the fact that they have discontinued the block means, to me, they are phasing this motor out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newrcaddict View Post
    I had nothing but trouble with my OS .21tm. It constantly ran hot (295+) and really never had too much power. I sealed this motor tight too. I sent it back to Hobby services for warranty and they replaced the bearings, piston, sleeve. Incredible customer service but the motor ran the exact same after I got it back. I contacted amainhobbies where I purchased it from and they said there has been a lot of complaints on this motor and OS has discontinued the block. Amainhobbies took it back and gave me complete refund, incredible customer service too, and so I got a Picco red dot that runs awesome!!

I wouldn't get an OS .21tm based on my experience and would highly recommend a Picco red dot....from amainhobbies too. I bought the OS based on online praise but it was horrible for me and the fact that they have discontinued the block means, to me, they are phasing this motor out.
    Thanks for the honest info. I will have quite some time to research it before I make a decision. The OS that I had was not the same model (it was the .12 with red sink).

I don't mind the Picco conversion having an extra step since the adapter is already commercially available. If anyone else has experience with either I would love to hear it.

I don't have the job yet, but if I get hired and the starting wage is good maybe I will leave the 3.3 in there.

I would imagine the slayer weighs less than the revo, and the 3.3 is more powerful than the 2.5, which would make a pretty nice power to weight ratio.

I lived at 6500 feet above sea level when I had the TRX powerplant, which is why I think I didn't like it. However we had a second nitro at that time with a .26 and it SCREAMED. I live a lot lower now (sea level wise), about 1000ft.

I don't know what temp it ran at because I didn't have a temp gun. I have one now.

I have the OS .21Tm and the Buku pipe runs great never had any problems with it. As for the Picco don't get the Ofna mount their is hardly any adjustment with it so you can only use the stock spur gear pay the extra and get the New era mount.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the input on the new era plate in case I get the Picco. I got the job so this project is going to be a big green light. Since I already have an amazingly fast RC, I will be able to start modding the Slayer right out of the box.

I am going to go to the track I plan on racing at ahead of time and see what the guys are running there also.

I will make sure to get that pipe if I go OS, which I am still leaning towards.

If you plan on racing check the rules at the track before you buy the engine at the track I race at you can run any engine as long as it fits in the stock motor mount. So we wouldn't let you run with a picco engine.

I run the OS 21TM as well. Great little motor. No issues with it whatsoever so far. Mine did start running a little hot but I discovered it was due to drag in the drive train which is what most overheating issues can come from if you are running a good tune. Cleared up the binding and it was back to running decent temps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy View Post
    If you plan on racing check the rules at the track before you buy the engine at the track I race at you can run any engine as long as it fits in the stock motor mount. So we wouldn't let you run with a picco engine.
    Yep, called the track today. They only run nitro in the summer/fall, so prolly won't even be ready till next season. I am looking up the parts that I need for the track, and am going to go to the track to practice on my mini slash, but mostly spy/neb/nose around other setups. If I get any overtime I will be ready for the end of this season, and at least get to tune it to the track. I have not done a project RC in 10 years+, am really looking forward to it.

Also, I *love* Slayer. My buddy owns an art shop, and does great airbrush work. I cant wait to design the lid. Probably not the most original idea, but one that fits me.

Looks like I would need a decent servo, sway bars, shocks, rims and tires, engine, and pipe. I can sell all of those things off of the truck as new, and sell the Tx as I already have a new tqi. Seems like an excellent opportunity to get racing.

Are there any other mods that are common for this that I am missing? Thanks again guys.
    Last edited by Cipher_Jones; 07-16-2012 at 05:29 PM.

If you're going to race I would get the center differential and rear brake kit the center diff. come with 100K oil I would change to 500K. The rear brake kit is the same for the revo and slayer but make sure you order the slayer center diff.

RC Qualifier
    that ofna mount has no real room for adjustment dont recommend... there is one on Ebay for the .26 piccos with all the adjustment like the stock traxxas one.