RC Qualifier

Castle motor cooling fan failure

This is my second castle cooling fan to go dead in two months. Is there another fan on the market that can survive the flipping and jumping ?

Thanks in advance

RC Racer
    Are you protecting it anyway? Like covering it with a ladies stocking when driving in heavy dust or dirt areas? Where are you driving your ERBE? Post a picture of your ESC as it sits now - that may tell what condition its in.

All of these fans are nothing more than cheap CPU fans that you find in your computer...if the bearings get any amount of debris in them and they are shot...its the same thing with the motor fans as well.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Are you protecting it anyway? Like covering it with a ladies stocking when driving in heavy dust or dirt areas? Where are you driving your ERBE? Post a picture of your ESC as it sits now - that may tell what condition its in.

All of these fans are nothing more than cheap CPU fans that you find in your computer...if the bearings get any amount of debris in them and they are shot...its the same thing with the motor fans as well.
    Motor fan not the ESC fan.. Proper gearing you don't need a fan on the Motor....
    But I do use a small piece of stocks over the ESC fan.......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the input guys. I drive my erbe in grass mostly. The only thing that gets trapped under my body is a few strands of grass.

RC Racer
    Truth be told, grass killed my Integy motor fan for my Velineon motor fan (for my Slash 4x4). Blades of grass got wrapped around the fan, stopped it from spinning, got really hot and burnt it out... Always look in there and clean it out after each run...you will be amazed what gets yanked up into the fan...
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    Truth be told, grass killed my Integy motor fan for my Velineon motor fan (for my Slash 4x4). Blades of grass got wrapped around the fan, stopped it from spinning, got really hot and burnt it out... Always look in there and clean it out after each run...you will be amazed what gets yanked up into the fan...
    You were right! I looked in there after work and a blade of grass was caught in the fan. Didn't seem like much, but that fan is very light, and seems like anything can stop it from functioning. I ordered another one and will make something to protect it from grass.

RC Competitor
    I purchased an Outerwears shroud just for this reason. Tired of getting dirt/debris/etc all over my ESC/Motor/Fans etc..
    ERBE, XO-1

RC Qualifier
    +1 on outwears

Quote Originally Posted by rgs3 View Post
    I purchased an Outerwears shroud just for this reason. Tired of getting dirt/debris/etc all over my ESC/Motor/Fans etc..
    ERBE, Slash
    RIP Jato and Revo w/ RB TM323

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rgs3 View Post
    +2 on Outerwears
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    As nice as the outer wears cover looks i have never used one and don't consider the revo needs one, i bash on sand and mud and a good air compressor is enough to clean the crud out of the fan and esc.

Personally i think the cover is just an over priced sock, just zip tie a piece of womens stocking over the fan and spend your money on something else.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Racer
    Mikey - I respectfully disagree. The Outerwears shroud is MUCH more than just a sock... Its a thick, vented, cover that will stop some water splashes from killing the Mamba. A woman's stocking is good for keeping out dust - NOT mud and water and moisture will eventually get into your ESC and you will be posting "my ESC is dead"... Just be careful...

The outerwear is not a "cure-all" and it certainly doesnt make your ERBE waterproof - but it certainly adds many more layers of protection over a "sock" or stocking...
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Motor fan not the ESC fan.. Proper gearing you don't need a fan on the Motor....
    But I do use a small piece of stocks over the ESC fan.......
    +1 on proper gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    As nice as the outer wears cover looks i have never used one and don't consider the revo needs one, i bash on sand and mud and a good air compressor is enough to clean the crud out of the fan and esc.

Personally i think the cover is just an over priced sock, just zip tie a piece of womens stocking over the fan and spend your money on something else.
    +1

Both items provide a false sense of security. Used together they make a nice convection oven.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    As nice as the outer wears cover looks i have never used one and don't consider the revo needs one
    I certainly wouldn't take a recommendation from someone judging a product never having used it. Also, it seems every single person who has one of these raves about it like nobody's business. I cannot wait for mine to arrive!
    ERBE, XO-1

RC Qualifier
    I actually have an outerwear , and I love it! Worth the money in my opinion. Shame on me for not using it but I only keep it in my bag for dusty or damp areas. I never thought blades of grass would be an issue, lol!

My gearing works well without the fan, but I just like having a cooling system. Used the truck again today with no fan and no issues. Thanks again for the useful info, and helping me protect my investment.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I didn't expect that kind of response. Lol. I was saying that I don't think it's required and I stand by that.

As for taking a recommendation from someone who hadn't tried one?

Perhaps a recommendation from someone who doesn't need one or think the erbe needs one? I fit both categories. If they were better priced then fine but for what they cost for what they are? Meh.

RC Racer
    Mikey,

Again, I mean no disrespect - but what is worth more?

Spending $29 on a cover that can protect your ESC and motor (and all electronics) that is 100% NOT waterproof?

OR

Spending $300 on a new ESC and motor because you think the Outerwear cover should be priced better?

Id rather spend $30 on the possiblity of protecting my ESC and motor vs. running it through mud. Thinking an Outerwear "isnt required" which will cost you more money in the long run...

Just a different way to look it...but everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    Mikey,

Again, I mean no disrespect - but what is worth more?

Spending $29 on a cover that can protect your ESC and motor (and all electronics) that is 100% NOT waterproof?

OR

Spending $300 on a new ESC and motor because you think the Outerwear cover should be priced better?

Id rather spend $30 on the possiblity of protecting my ESC and motor vs. running it through mud. Thinking an Outerwear "isnt required" which will cost you more money in the long run...

Just a different way to look it...but everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion.
    No offence taken, or meant in my my posts, you raise a good point though, I guess as insurance it could be a good thing, for me though as I don't run in mud or water it's just not required. I guess we all have different bashing spots for our trucks.