Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Guess i deleted the last pic by mistake. Changed it anyway. Made a new face for the blower extension. Black foam rubber and blue plastic pipe. and easy to fix if it gets crunched.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks sweet
    I am playing with fans that drop in to the mamba
    That muchmore ultra is loud and flows lot more air the the silent stock fan
    Last edited by 50togo; 04-15-2013 at 01:29 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks 50, I agree, The muchmore ultra is a little noisy. They also make a 30x30mm super ultra fan. The yr fan is quieter and blows more air but its also thicker, 10mm thick and probably wont fit the esc w/out hacking somthing up. lol.

RC Champion
    For all of you that havent gotten sick of all my little changes to my maxx project. Heres a pic of another one.
    This will be the final colors for the blower extension opening. lol Blue foam,black holes,blue screen.
    also found some black bodywashers with blue clips. usps tracking tells me my black and blue batt straps finally came from GH. May be at po today.
    Hope to get it out soon for a 6s run. I leaned the tops of the tires in a little more to hopfully help keep it from tearing up the sidewalls so much. Got an adaptor wire coming to give me the option of plugging the blower into the rx.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-15-2013 at 08:08 AM.

The blue foam looks great, I like it.

Get some video of it when you can, be cool to see it in action.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Got two of the four batt straps i ordered. they messed up. also decided to bore out the holes in my little wire boxes and hide the wires with some blue cover. Plugged the blower fan into the rx. Hopfully it wont cause any problems with the internal bec running two fans? since people would like to see it in action i got a pair of HD 720p video sunglasses. They work good and a pretty clear video if you can keep your head still. LOL. Can probbably set them down and use that way to or tape them to the front for a windshield view. LOL Have to try it soon i hope. Theres Always somthing more important for me to do around here then play with my toys

RC Champion
    Well i got a little video of this thing in action. And i do mean little. Lasted about 5 minutes before i snapped a pin in the rear diff. Running (2) 3s 5000 40c batts,100% forward, 40% punch. I must say i am way more impressed with the clarity of the video with my i.trek video sunglasses than i am with my ability to keep it off the roof. LOL Only other damage i could see was it pulled part of the rear tire out of the beadlock. Glad i used the pro graphics body that was already a little beat up. It Does a wicked cyclone doghnut in three wheel drive. lol Like i said before i can be hard on things. Just cant resist the temptation to punch it. Next time i will be a little easier on it and get more video. Guess i found a weak link. That little pin in the diff. Have to replace with somthing better. This is my first attempt at a video so be nice. LOL next one will be better.

Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Took it apart and found what broke. Not only the pin but two diff gears too! Not shore what broke first and led to what but heres a pic of the damage. most likely due to Blunt force trama when tire met pavment. lol You can see in the vid what did it in.

RC Qualifier
    Ouch. Can see from the vid though your beast has got some good torque going on there, it just wants to be let loose
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    yup, you can see what happens when you let it loose on 6s. LOL Its geared 22-65 has a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground with me driving it. oh well no major damage 10.00 set of gears. I also noticed as soon as it leans on the wheelie bar it wants to go left. Have to try to adjust one of the shocks on it to see if i can get it to straighten out a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Were those stock gears in the stock diffs that busted?

RC Champion
    No, They were hpi/hot bodies hardened 1/8th scale diff gears inside a innovative rc alum cup. You can look back in this thread to #253 and see the diffs.

RC Champion
    rebuilt the rear diff. ready for another run. Hopfully run the batts down this time. lol i will Try to get some on board video too.
    Also redesigned the blower extension holder so it will colapse down in easier.

RC Enthusiast
    very cool truck !! one of a kind I like the blower
    What do you think for onboard video ? GoPro or a homemade video system.... ?
    Bones Crusher said... Bite The Dust

RC Enthusiast
    Check this out !

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2013-Wireless...item19dbdc82a5

If you have an ipod touch or android, this can be cool... not HD but 640X480 VGA it's better than nothing for $50. You can drive with video
    Bones Crusher said... Bite The Dust

RC Champion
    Thanks bones, I used a pair of 720p hd video sunglasses. I.trek MV-8GBP with 5mp camera. 70.00 They work good,strapped them to the body posts w/out body on. Got a little scratched up when i flipped it but still work fine. lol
    Have to make shorter video to be able to download on photobucket though. Busted a tooth on one of the spyder gears last time. Going to try some regular non hardened diff gears this time. 6s on pavment is hard on the diffs. and the tires. Ive just about destroyed the roadrages with the blue rings sliding it around on pavment. Ripping the sidewalls out of them.

RC Champion
    Heres a couple more little vids of the roadmaxx taking a beating on some pavment. Im going to have to find a smoother parking lot. The rough pavment here is tough on the tires and the body.lol After a few hard runs on 6s The only thing that ive broke on this thing is the rear diff gears.And i pretty much blame myself for that, Bashing it around and flipping it on the pavment. The lst2 axles have proven to be very strong as i havent managed to bend or brake one yet. Just got done rebuilding the rear diff again. lol this time i used some regular steel diff gears. The same ones UE uses in there 6 spyder diffs.
    They will hopfully hold up better not being as hard and brittle.

This was my first time trying to figure out how to edit and shorten a vid to fit on photobucket. Next time a little longer.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    your pictures arent showing up!

Your eMaxx is going sweet now...very cool handling on the road the road there mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Thanks mitch, Just trying to keep the shiny side up. lol Probably better off with a drift car,but this thing is a powerhouse on wheels and a whole lotta fun. I think the biggest thing that has saved it is the wheelie bar not letting the front end get to high. T4sale you should be able to just click on the vid and it should play?
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-29-2013 at 06:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Very very nice indeed

RC Champion
    A little somthing i havent showed a pic of. Heres a pic of how i mounted the sensor for the onboard esc temp gauge. Just had to chop out a couple little fins on the heat sink and wrap it around in there and run the wires out and down the side. It works good and a nice little feature is it records the highest temp.

Modified the wheelie bar a little. Drilled a couple holes a little farther down to raise it up a bit and mounted the tires off a t bone on to try. I might try to modify the little plastic rims to accept a couple bearings. They look like little airplane tires. lol

RC Champion
    sunday,just had my roadmaxx out for another 6s beating on the pavment. This time nothing broke but the rear diff is making a very faint little gear noise but still working fine. lol not again. Got some vid if anyone wants to watch. A little longer this time.
    This thing is a beast on 6s. Just lights the tires right up at will. Only damage this time a couple scrapes on the bumpers and a couple more on the body. I noticed it wasnt steering as far for some reason. have to check it out tonight.

RC Qualifier
    Nice stuff burning up the asphalt there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I might be wrong, but it sounds like the pinion-spur mesh was too tight.

RC Champion
    rc-fan, The pinion spur mesh was fine after the run. I always check it, but thanks for your input.
    Mugs, Thanks, Tires just about destroyed now. maybe a couple of those 6s pavment runs left in them before the sidewalls completely blow out. lol Good thing there taped.
    found out why it wasnt steering to good. Loose screw holding arm to servo. Put a longer screw with a locknut this time.

RC Champion
    Ok, since i have been pmd for info on how to mod the rpm carriers to use the lst2 losi axles i figured i would nput it on my thread for all to see. I originaly got the idea from "patreaus" on his build thread. Hey petreaus you still out there?
    You will need a 15x24x5mm inner and 8x16x5mm outer bearings.
    some 5mm wide x 3" long x .007 - .009 thick shims. .007 goes together a bit easier. .009 real tight fit. I carfully beveled the edges of the shims on a deburring wheel to make it easier to get the bearing started in.
    and some spacers to go behind the inner bearing. approx. .750 I.D. x .960 O.D. Thickness will depend on the overall width of your particular diff set up and drive cups and suspension setting and how far the pillow balls are screwed in to place the dogbone in the propper spot in the cup so there is no binding. The spacers i think will be somewhere around .200 thick.
    The outside of the rpm carrier will have to be bored out to 16mm to fit bearing.
    Heres a ccouple pics to give you a good idea what im talking about. I have found this to be a good rock solid set up so far.

And probably the hardest part if you want your hubs to fit right up to the outer bearing is to redrill the holes in the axles. for this you will need to make a jig. see pic and be very careful drilling so you dont break the drill off inside the jig. It also needs to be exactly on center so the pin lines up. I recomend usingn a good quality drill and some cutting oil and DRILL VERY SLOWLY. The axles are fairly hard steel.
    Or if you cant redrill them you can just use the existing hole and put a spacer behind the hub.

The pic shows the bearing placed farther in the carrier on mine and a thinner spacer because i had made some special washers to go in front of the bearing to hold the rubber boot. I might have to make some more of those for my basher.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.

RC Champion
    Check it out. I won showoff of the month. rcdriver magazine july issue.

RC Qualifier
    Very Nice !

RC Champion
    I found a duplicate body so I have one to scratch up. lol Got time to play today so another 6s 50% punch run on the roadmaxx.
    The power of this thing given its weight still ceases to amaze me. And as you can see in the vid I don't baby it.
    Took one good crash not on the vid and only damage was a bent screw holding one of the wheelie bar wheels on. Cant believe I haven't broke the wheelie bar shocks yet. Must be just luck they haven't got slammed the wrong way ripping the shocks apart.
    Very happy to report no broken diff gears this time. still sounds and works perfectly. so im almost convinced that the regular non hardened gears are the way to go. However I did mess up one tire. And beat up the sidewalls a bit. Got a big lump inside one of themt? something must have happened to the foam. I think I remember taping one of the smaller foams that ripped when I put them together so that might be what happened. I will investigate. Need to make some kind of sidewall protectors but haven't figured out how or if its even possible. These roadrage on the commando wheels with firmer foam definetly grab hold better than the other ones ive been running on it. That and I think they swept the parking lot. +1 on the titanium skids, took a good hard hit on the nose on the pavment and held up nice. The bumper, a little scratched up. Thinking of putting my black rpm bumpers on it. lol Heres another vid. if your not all bored with this build.

I guess I should figure out a better intro then my video glasses case and tailgate. lol
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The RPM Bumpers are a good way to go, super tough.

Nice...It's come together nicely mate!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Just as I suspected. The one little foam that I ripped and tried to double sticky tape to the rim to hold it in place failed.

RC Qualifier
    Did you customize using two different foams on the middle wheel? A dog attacked my maxx and bite at one tire. The tire didn't rip but after inspecting the tire I realized one tire has a very flat part to it. Seeing your pic makes me think maybe the bite ripped the foam inside.
    By the way, what bulk brace are you using with your FLM Hybrid bulks?

RC Champion
    The foams were my idea to stiffen up the tires and try to keep from ripping out the sidewalls on pavment. It helps but seems to be minimal as after one run there already getting beat up. They do however have much better grip. Probably has a little to do with my trigger finger. lol and the fact that its a 15 pound maxx not built for road racing sliding sideways on rough pavment.. Too bad they don't make those roadrage tires with much thicker stronger sidewalls. But it has and will be fun for a while then I will probably turn this thing into the ultimate bashing machine.
    The braces I used are GH racing. Nice strong looking design and not too expensive. Heres a link to the front one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GH-02216S-Al...item43bbb731ca
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 05-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.

RC Racer
    is it just me or is ur name gary and this was in rcdriver and u got showoff of the year nailed

RC Champion
    Slash, That would be me. Won show off of the month in rc driver. also going to be in the next issue of car action magazines readers rides page. Hoping to get ride of the month. Would be totally cool to win show off and or reader ride of the year but there are a lot of nice builds out there. Time will tell. Thanks Gary.

RC Champion
    Back together and ready for another 6s run. Fixed the inner foam that I never should have tried to tape to begin with. Put the trx wheelie bar wheels that I modded with some bigger 5x10x4mm bearings back on.

After realizing that the alum bumpers I had on it that I got on ebay for 20.00 are great assembly rockhoundz 7075 alum. I decided not to destroy them any more on the pavment and put the rpms on. No wonder the front one took such a hard hit on the pavment and didn't bend. These things are tough. A little sanding and polishing and they will be good as new.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.

RC Champion
    Another hard 6s run on the roadmaxx today. No vid I just tried to download it and messed it all up. Was taking forever so I shortened then deleted by mistake. Had a good run, only thing that happened was it pulled the tire out of the rim a bit in the back . have to glue. Had punch set @60% and still plenty of power. Hangs some pretty good wheelies. Brake set at 25% and still did a front roll. lol Rear diff held up fine to a pretty happy trigger finger. Some nice burnouts coming off the sand onto the pavment. The blower is going to have to go without a cage. Motor started getting hot, found the fan had cracked and jammed up the blade from a hit on the roof. Got it fixed and temp went from 180 to 145. Its cool looking and works good but no good for landing on the roof without no cage to protect it. Going to have to mod the castle blower with a yr fan,should be low enough so it don't get slammed. A couple of the 1/16"x 4 3/4" orings on the tires popped off a couple times and I notice still quite a bit of ballooning so some smaller ones would be better. Maybe 3 1/2" -3 3/4" since they stretch pretty easy. The hottest the esc got was 142 deg. All in all another fun run with the roadmaxx and no major wrecks or broken parts. AND NO BROKEN REAR DIFF. The ofna steel gears still holding up fine.The drivetrain in this thing can take a pretty good beating and hold up. Also all four tires are still nice and tight thanks to all the bearing mods. My other rig with the stock rpm bearings, a little wobbly after 5 runs but not to bad.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 06-09-2013 at 04:07 PM.

RC Champion
    Well, I didn't get the readers ride of the month but got a nice little write up and a couple pics in the readers rides page in the august issue of car action magazine. Good enough for me. A well deserving soda bottle pontoon rig got the ride of the month.
    A very cool idea Bill Kara from Melbourne Australia came up with. Nice work Bill! You were definetly thinking out of the box on that one. I love it!
    The roadmaxx is ready for another run. Got the rear tire fixed. These proline beadlocks don't seem to lock the tires in very good. At least not with me driving it. lol Have to glue them too. Probably hold good until you roll it and catch an edge on the pavment.