Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not a problem

RC Champion
    Back together again. Now sporting UE supershocks and knucklehead towers and some custom built diffs with HR alum cups HPI hardened gears with 8mm pinion shaft and UE drive cups. The supershocks are awsome. Huge difference compared to the bigbore set up i had. It actually feels like it has shocks now and not just springs. Had to do a little machining with my dremel to fit the knuckleheads to the flm hybrids. No big deal just a little room to go over the screw on the bulk. and ream out the holes a bit so they would line up. So whats next? Ive almost run out of things to upgrade on this thing. LOL
    I bought me one of them HR double clutchs to install. Maybe an alum tranny case from rd logics? I also got a pair of strc alum knuckles coming. They look like they have enough material so a little work for my machinist friend and see how big of a bearing i can stuff in them. If they dont work out with the losi xxl shafts I can use them on my other maxx. Well thats all for now. Since everbody likes pics heres a couple with new shocks and towers. I like the red color springs, I screwed the preload down a little more on the back and out one hole on top to make the back a little stiffer than the front. Will have to try it and see how they work. I am no pro rc racer, so it is what it is. Just a cool looking ROAD MAXX.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sharpest maxx I have seen!
    Good info on the shocks!

Let us know how the diffs hold up.
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks 50, I have a ? on the HR double clutch. Since you already have one. On mine the traxxas shiny steel backplate doesnt fit flush to the HR pc? Theres a little raised portion where the trx backplate locks into the four little locks. So theres a little gap in between the trx plate and the hr back. Was yours like this too?? Maybe its just designed that way? On the stock clutch it fits flush with back.
    Love the shocks,they are sweet. Before if i dropped it from a foot it would bottom out. Now i can drop it from 2-3 feet and it just soaks it up. used 40w oil. And with the buy one get one free spring set you can get what ever stiffness you could want. So much for the whole black and blue thing i had going on. LOL but the other springs seemed to stiff for a 8 shock set up and besides i kinda like the way the red color stands out.
    Interested in how the diffs work. Probably 4s first to break them in. Then 6s and a couple 4wd burnouts coming of the sand on the edge of the parking lot to see if they break. LOL
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My plate was the same. I had to be real careful assembling it and seems to work fine like that on my revo

I think with all your weight you definitely need those shocks!

Which clutch pads are you going to use? On my maxx I have the stock aluminum and my revo HR hard anodized
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info 50, I guess thats just how there made,doesnt make sense to me, you would think it would be flat like the stock one. Seems like it will make the backplate a little springy. I might try to use the stock backplate that the wear plate fits flush to and locks into better. and the hr front part with the 6 pads. I got the hard anodized short version pads.
    The shocks are definitely the cats meow for a heavy truck.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.

RC Competitor
    What knuckles from Strc do u use? I didn't know they made maxx parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    I dont use any of them yet. Just ordered a pair to see how they look and if they can be modified to fit with my lst xxl shafts and large bearings. The part # is ST5334S They have them in red and blue too.

RC Competitor
    Witch ones did you order? Are they made for maxx's or are they the ones for the summit/revo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    I ordered these #ST5334S Made for E- maxx, T-maxx, 3.3, e-revo, summit, slayer
    http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/STRC..._p/st5334s.htm
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Every strc part I have ordered I have liked good quality

RC Qualifier
    This thing looks Sick !

RC Qualifier
    How about a Mono-Block Extension down the road?

RC Champion
    The monoblock extension looks good. Makes it a little longer than it is wide. I think i will keep it as is for now as far as that goes. Got my STRC knuckles in today. They look Nice. After a little measuring it looks like they can be machined to accept a
    8x16x5mm outer and a 15x21x5mm inner bearing. This will work with the losi xxl axles. Seems like 15x21x5mm is kinda an oddball size to find. Avid only lists 15x21x4mm. Found these on e-bay though. abec-5 they should be good.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Seale...90349914483%26
    Im shore theres others, didnt do a lot of searching. I was hoping i could fit my 15x24x5mm bearings in them but the dia. is not as big as the rpm that i shimmed them in. Only need to bore out the inside .020 more to fit a 21mm.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Champion
    Thanks 50, I figured you would chime in on the bearings. Just did a search on bocas sight you posted. 15x21x5mm no results found. Seems like 15x21x4mm is more common.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-08-2013 at 04:28 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    not cheap though!

RC Champion
    Ya, a bit pricey, but you usally get what you pay for. I know you like your boca bearings. Been reading your build. Nice work. I will probably get the ones i posted. cheap enough and 5mm wide. Says there abec-5?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i saw that .i am sure they will work but don't know about that rating!

RC Champion
    I decided since the 15x21x5mm bearings are hard to find i will use (2) 15x21x4mm bearings sandwitched together for the inner. I made a special drill formed like the axle to drill out a spacer to hold the second bearing. So i called my machinist buddy and told him to make them deeper. Guess he cant get to them till next week.
    I will post some pics when i get them back.

Your truck is looking good ...its come a long. Great thread you got going mate .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, Iv'e almost run out of things to upgrade. LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its kind of a bummer when your done with your project!

RC Champion
    I hear ya 50, Its always fun installing new stuff. After spending well over 2000.00 on thas thing theres not much else left that i can do to it to make it much faster or stronger. But im shore i will find somthing to tinker with. lol still Waiting to get my STRC alum knuckles back from my machinist so i can join them to the lst axles with dual 15x21x4mm inner bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Well i ended up spending a pretty penny on titanium screws after I already spent a shiny penny on "so called Steel screws" from various merchanters.........and I want to look into getting a hydrolic or spring loaded gagdet that pops out from a specific place from the truck, like from the top, so that when it flips over 500 feet away from me, with a push of a button the truck can berolled right side up again, still working on that one........nothing is impossible, everything is possible.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Well i ended up spending a pretty penny on titanium screws after I already spent a shiny penny on "so called Steel screws" from various merchanters.........and I want to look into getting a hydrolic or spring loaded gagdet that pops out from a specific place from the truck, like from the top, so that when it flips over 500 feet away from me, with a push of a button the truck can berolled right side up again, still working on that one........nothing is impossible, everything is possible.
    Kinda like those rc robots the used to battle with on tv! As
    T least you don't have to worry about it dying out like nitro

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Kinda like those rc robots they used to battle with on tv! At least you don't have to worry about it dying out like nitro

RC Champion
    Heres a couple pics of the lst axles with custom made steel collared spacer to hold rubber boot. dual 15x21x4mm inner bearings, custom made spacer formed to the axle to hold second bearing. and a 8x16x5mm outer bearing and 23mm hub. Waiting to get strc knuckles back from machinist. Looks like i will have to grind a little corner out of the bearing holders to fit inside of knuckles, and then epoxy them on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's a lot of bearings!
    Hd ideas you have there!

RC Champion
    Just one more in the backside to help support the weight. lol Should give it a good solid mount. In the rear tru trac i have a 15x24x5mm inner and 8x16x5mm outer bearing.
    Just got the knuckles back from my machinist. cost me 25.00 and a dozen fresh eggs. LOL
    He did an exelent job, perfect slip fit for the bearings. Tonight i will see how it all lines up to the drive cups..
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 02-18-2013 at 07:53 AM.

RC Champion
    I put it together last night. They fit perfect. The machining i had done Also allowed me to screw the pillow balls in a little farther for a better hold. And the traxxas steel rings fit right on. A couple were just a slip fit so i cemented them in place. I definetly like the look of the alum knuckles. and the dual 15x21x4mm inner bearings should hold up good i would think. The rubber boots fit nicely into the back of the knuckles kinda creating a second dirt seal. Could possibly use a shim in between the rubber boot holder and the bearing. The rubber boot just barely rubs on the bearing seal. So a .005 -.010 shim wouldnt hurt but Probably not nessesary, since it spins nice and free. Plus i searched and couldnt find any 15mm i.d. shims anywhere?? Heres a couple pics.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks sweet! Good idea there. Let us know how it holds up
    I have gh carriers on my merv always liked the look !

RC Champion
    Thanks 50, Iv'e Been eyeballing those strc knuckles for a while. Wheels still wobble just a tiny tiny bit do to the bearings them selves. might have to make an order from boca for some good bearings. Whats another 100 bucks at this point. LOL

RC Qualifier
    Looking good with those knuckles on. Ready for some serious abuse. Let us know how they hold up.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    Thanks mugs, cant wait to try it again. Too bad theres still a foot of snow on the ground and more coming.
    I want to try to keep this one nice and bash my other one so i'me waiting for dry pavment.

Mate...I have really enjoyed watching your build thread .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    for no play at all you might need orange seal ceramics! yellow seal are better then average but you will still get a little play not bad though

Mate...those bearings look nice...just can't afford them at the moment.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your tires are road rage right. How do you like them and how fast have you run?

RC Qualifier
    Those do look like road rage 3.8 tires. They are really nice. They actually sound like real tires screeching when I go down my street really fast and brake, minimal ballooning......Bought two sets of them......