Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ultra high speed fan has a lot more kick than the castle. If you are geared correctly you wouldn't need more but that large fan should flow some volume!

RC Champion
    I agree, its just as much for somthing different and a cool look than the regular fan heat sink set ups. Hopfully get it out soon to test it out. still got a bit more work to do to finish it up. Thinking of adding a small 6.6v life batt w/switch to run it and not work the internal bec any harder. plus i mounted it a little different last night so have to mod the clutch cover and a few other things to fit. Also noticed when i put the top on while testing it the airflow suffered drastickly. so i cut out the front,drilled a couple holes under the front and a big hole in the top to let the air in. That got the air flowing again.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i bet
    don't gear taller and depend on the fans to make the difference! on one of my merv's i used very tall gearing and had 3 fans on the esc and motor to keep it cool. during a ride the fans stopped and toasted the motor!

RC Champion
    Thats good advice 50, I have 22-65 and 1/8th diffs. I Will keep an eye on temps when i test it out. Will be interesting to see how much it cools it down. your maxx is looking good! should be as tough as nails when your done.

RC Champion
    Finished modifying everything to fit last night. I either drilled, cut, ground or dremeled just about every pc of it to fit the way i wanted. Now that it sits up higher with the fan under it i also had to dremel out the hole in the body and make a new rpm cross suport to hold the extension. Looks better,the extension sticks up and out a bit more.
    and look i noticed it doubles as a clutch cooler, notice the square hole in the top front of pic, I ground out the clutch cover to match. It actually blows a nice little blast of air down in there.

I Dremeled out the back of the base housing on the sides to let it blow some air out over the back of the motor.

and since i moved the blower mounting plate from the back of the motor plate to the front to get the pinion closer to the motor where its suposed to be. I had to do some grinding on the cover to fit around it.

Then instead of a plain round hole in the blower lid i did this for a cool look, and a little more intake volume. LOL Now going to make a blue screen to mount under it.

This has been a fun little project. Next up is to mount a seperate batt and switch, and i think i know where the switch is going to go. stay tuned for more of my crazy cooloing ideas. LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i sure hope mine will be tough when it's done!
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-29-2013 at 09:56 AM.

RC Champion
    Hey 50, Not quite shore what you mean by i shore hope so? what gearing are you running on your maxx with 1/8th diffs. do you think 22-65 is too low. I would rather have a little more power and torque and not get things to hot than all out top speed. The motor is already pretty close to the tranny so i dont think i could go 54t spur. 22-65 and 6s seemed pretty good and still quite fast. Let me know what you think.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did some editing!
    you should be good for 46 mph with no ballooning
    i am at the same 22/65 but usually on 4s but mainly bashing
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.

RC Champion
    I didnt tape the road rages this time. It seemed to warp them and leave flat spots where the overlap is. They dont baloon too bad anyway so i Got some 1/16" x 4 3/4" orings that fit nicely in the two center grooves instead. Tried to dye them blue and keep up with the color scheme but it didnt work. LOL

RC Qualifier
    That is some mega cool customizing on your emaxx once again !

RC Champion
    Finished modifying everything to fit with new electric blower fan and position. Made a screen and found a cool decal to put on it. HF "high flow" lol and a couple little flaming skulls that my wife got me for xmas. Not crazy about them but the colors match the body graphics perfect so i stuck them on. Waiting for a batt and switch to power it up.

RC Champion
    Still waiting for a seperate battery to power up the fan. Mounted a little slide switch right inside the back of the blower housing so i have the option of turning it off at the flip of a switch. Not nessessary but thought it would be cool. I will post a few pics when i get batt and finish it. In the mean time i did a little customizing on the front of the body. A blackout grill to match headlights, Ditched the flaming skulls on the blower for some little hi flow decals. Somthing about a flaming skull with buckteeth just didnt agree with me. lol

And fearing another run away possibly because of moisture in the esc in this cold climate around here i got one of these.
    I probably would have did like mugs did and plastidipped the one i have but this was easier and i like the way the fan is easily accesible.

I like it. Waterproof, very easy to change out fan, And since the fan plugs directly into the rx.its on all the time keeping the esc cooler. Once again waiting for some parts. male trx connectors and a short pc of wire to hook it up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice detail work!
    doesn't the fan on the esc come on at 150?

RC Champion
    Thanks 50, The fan on the new mamba 2 esc isnt wired into the esc. It has a long seperate wire with rx plug. So i assume it plugs into the rx. I believe they made it that way so you can unplug it and remove the fan if you want to get it wet. Since the fans are not waterproof. I wont be doing any puddle jumping with this one but i like how easy it is to remove fan. Just a couple little tabs on the sides and off it comes. I could be wrong but unless the fan itself has a temp sensor in it it must run all the time being plugged into the rx.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.

RC Champion
    heres a couple pics with fan removed

The batt wire solder post are exposed so i put the blue shrink wrap on there
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 04-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On my merv the mamba max pro has a plug on the esc and turns on a 150 and mamba monster comes on 150. Must of changed it

RC Qualifier
    Man, no matter how many times I see it, still think that Air Intake/Blower set-up you have made is amazing. Don't forget the pics promised once you got the batt for it installed.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    Thanks mugs, Stayed up very late working on my rig last night. Finished hooking up battery for the blower system and soldered connectors and mounted mamba 2 and wired it all up.
    A little switch in the back for the fan

A venom 1200mah 6.6v life battery to run it, mounted with a couple little velcro straps under the extension. Easy to remove.

I ran the fan last night to see how long batt would last. After 2-1/2 hours still had 6.35 volts left. so plenty of run time.
    The battery weighs 2.39 oz and the blower weighs about the same so a little hevier than i wanted but not to bad.
    Now just need to power it up and calibrate new esc and program it. and what ever else i come up with LOL
    Still waiting for my order from gh. alum pillow ball retainers w/oring and some black and blue battery straps,had to have those of course. LOL My wife thinks im addicted to this thing and spend too much money on it. jokingly said shes going to have an intervention. LOL Wait till i upgrade my charging system, i'lle be locked up for shore. LOL

RC Qualifier
    Looking really good mate. LOL, I hear you on the intervention, I try to downplay the costs as much as possible.

RC Enthusiast
    Looking good...I got myself a MM2. I really like the new design.

RC Champion
    Finally a half warm day to try out my maxx again. first i put my NH Licence plate on.

Then a couple 2 cell 5800 45c batts. Figured i would go a little easy on it and let the gears break in. LOL
    Then the pro graphics body since its already a little beat up. So i set at 25% punch,100% forward. Still quite fast on 4s. telemetry said 62mph but that cant be right. It was kinda of a cold day around 45-50 deg. and no sun so nothing got hot. Motor got up to 120 after a few full throttle runs acrosss the lot. Turned on the blower to see what it would do anyway. Cooled it right down to 100 pretty quick. Drivetrain held up just fine and with me driving I can be hard on things. Just cant resist doing a few burnouts coming off the sandy pavment onto dry clean pavment. The shocks on the wheelie bar survived and actually seem to work pretty good. couldnt get a wheelie too long, about 20-25 feet as the bar doesnt let it get too high in the front. Next time 6s that will hold it up there. LOL No major crashs. but did hit the breaks a little hard and flip it over on its roof a couple times. I set tx for 70/30 for better throttle control but doesnt help with brake control. LOL have to cut it back a bit more than 50%
    Broke the three hole plate in the blower extension and beat up the wing. But other than that just a couple minor dings. And oh ya, Hey mugs, it slides around like a drift car. I found it to be very stable and almost hard to flip over. (almost) Did manage to flip it over sideways once doing a cyclone doghnut in a sandy part of the lot. The new road rages i put together seem to hold up better than the others but still started to beat up the sidewalls a bit. I guess thats just what happens when you start sliding a fifteen pound beast around on dry pavment. But all in all it was a lot of fun and no major damage is always a plus. Next time 6s, orings on the tires, breaks 30%

RC Champion
    Did some testing on a few little fans. castle, muchmore ultra and YR Too bad the YR 30mm fans are 10mm thick. They blow lots of air. But the muchmore ultra is a good upgrade over the castle and same size. I did a little test on them held one inch over a digatal scale. castle =1.4-1.5 muchmore = 1.7-1.8 YR=3.1-3.2 The YR only has 5 blades versus the others 7 but each blade is about twice the size with longer pitch since its thicker. The castle fan rpm seems to wander a little at first it was only about .9-1.0 then after a few minutes it wound up a bit. These were all new fans and not fully broke in. YR recomends running thier fans for two hours the first time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wonder how accurate the pressure rating is compared to volume of air

RC Champion
    Good question. I would think being the same diameters they would be closely related but i am no wind expert. If you look up the specs i found the muchmore rated @ 5.2 cfm max and the yr rated @ 5.5 max , couldnt find castles specs. not much difference there, but they also dont say what voltage they are getting thier specs. at. I played around testing that way @ 6v From the back of the hand wind test the yr definetly felt more powerful as it should being thicker with wider blades. But anyway It was fun to play around with them and now I have a few extra fans for somthing.

RC Qualifier
    As usual some great work. Looking forward to the 6s run report back. A vid would also be great, especially to check out some of that drifting action.

RC Champion
    Thanks again mugs, Being 4wd it doesnt really drift like a drift car but it slides sideways with out flipping over. But doing that w/heavy truck also tears up the sidewalls of the tires. I think ill put the first set of road rages with the blue bead rings on for my next run on 6s. There already tore up a bit from a previous 6s run and runaway. so i can tear them up some more and not destroy the new ones i put together that already have a couple small holes in the sides from one run on 4s. I guess im just hard on things. When i bought my 1985 mustang GT 5.0 new (still in great condition) 5000 miles and back tires gone, burnt right off .LOL I will try to get a buddy to take a vid this weekend if i get a chance to go racing. If my camera will do it. I think it does.

RC Qualifier
    just a question about that ice amps blower... is it any good? does it work well running by belt? pros and cons?
    im looking to get one i just wanna make sure its worth the money

thanks.....
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aren't drift cars 4wd!

RC Champion
    dann117, I think the ice amps blower is as much for the cool look as anything else. They do work and cool by around 30 degrees. as far as comparing it to a electric fan.
    IMO pros- The cool look of the 3-hole blower intake and they do work.
    cons- Belts dont hold up to 6s, probably not good for bashers without a cage to protect it, Two more little bearings to eventually wear out, When i took mine apart to modify it i notice fan blades had fallen off. Loctite probably fix that .
    So i would say if you really like the cool look of it get yourself one.
    If your looking for somthing mainly to cool your motor, buy an electric fan set up.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the help

RC Champion
    50, I thought drift cars were 2wd. I could be wrong.

mocked up a new 3-hole plate for the blower extension since i crunched the other one. This time out of foam rubber with some little pcs of plastic pipe inside. So much easier and the foam wont break. lol Maybe some thin wall 3/4 alum pipe in place of the plastic would look good, and blue foam. i will come up with somthing. also will need to move batt as its blocking the colapsabe design. Maybe just plug fan into rx like most normal people do and still have switch to turn off when not needed. I kinda figured the seperate batt wouldnt last long. LOL It was still fun to do.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-10-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    hey just a question about the FLM Ultimate front/Rear Hybrid Bulk will they fit directly onto the stock chassis of a 3905 model

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They will fit no problem

Not all drift cars are all wheel drive but the original drift cars are!

RC Qualifier
    thanks 50 are the diffs that come with the bulks larger then stock ones

RC Champion
    The diffs that come with the uhb are bigger and stronger than stock. They also have 4 spyder gears instead of 2.

RC Qualifier
    Can they take the power of the mamba monster 2 set-up with a 4s system

RC Champion
    Yes, 4s should be no problem, """As long as they are shimmed corectly! """

RC Qualifier
    How do I shim my diffs?

RC Champion
    Do a search on shimming diffs. Theres some good info around here on it. Or post new thread. I dont have the links handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    How do I shim my diffs?
    Here's an oldie but goody, still good info, just substitute in the shim sizes your diff needs.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!