Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Nice out this afternoon. Took it out and drove it like i stold it. The tires work good in my yard half full of leaves anyway. Speed seems about the same with the smaller tires and 22t-65t on 4s. handles awsome, yery stable. Was doing some good power slides around corners. Wheelies on comand. A couple more pretty good crashes, no damage other than a couple more scratchs. temps still a bit higher on motor. motor 136 esc 103 might try 24t - 65t next.

RC Champion
    Ive been doing a little more modifying on the body. Made a 3-hole plate for the blower extension with blue screen to give it a cool nostalgic look. and a custom grill with the MMM logo. First I left the grills grey plastic color and painted the lights and behind holes blue. and It looked like Thomas the Train. LOL After a few different color combos I decided black looked best. Talk about luck, Searching through a bunch of industrial model building plastic stuff my dad had down in the basement I found three strips of reusable alphabet letters just the right size.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 10-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Yeah man...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    After I blew the rear stock diff in my other maxx this weekend, I took this one out for another 4s run. I like it! Ran it hard, couple crashes, nothing broke I think I might try it on 6s with the road rage tires next. Big parking lot next door. should be fun. Finaly got rpm sensor so all i need for telemetry now is a cheap ipod.

RC Champion
    Finally got a little time to play with my maxx project. I put the proline cheyenne wheels and road rage tires on. Rotated the motor 90 deg to get the wires out of the way for batt install. Changed gears from 22-65 to 24-65. Made some little batt strap extensions to fit three cells. Lowered the truck down about 3/4" for better handling. Took it out for a run on the paved parking lot next door. running mmm on 6s, 50% punch. 100% forward. This thing is a rocket on the pavment. Lots of fun. I thought it would tip over easy but it doesnt. maybe because it was a little cold outside. Spun it around several times at high speed and stayed on all 4 tires. This made it lots of fun. I was amazed how it would spin the tires on the pavment. and Wheelieing at speed. I ran it hard, a few burnouts coming off the sand. several full throttle runs for as long as the parking lot would alow. Could only hold full throttle for about 3 seconds or so. drivetrain held up nice. Nothing broke
    Then I stopped it to remove a couple leaves and then it took off on its own. OMG see my post (my maxx run away)
    Heres a couple more pics.

Luckily when it took off on its own and crashed it only broke the plastic bed supports i made and a screw holding one of the rpm rear body posts. and the little ice amps blower belts dont seem to hold up to 6s. Blew the one off my other maxx on 6s too. Ive run it on 4s 5 or 6 times and the belt is holding up. Since its a pain in the butt to replace with the cage I might just put the castle fan on it and mount my little blower extensionn to the cage.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 11-19-2012 at 07:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Seriously nice looking truck man. Good job.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    Thanks Mugs, I'm Going to try to keep it that way. and bash my other one. Keep this one nice for road racing. winter is here and Wish there was an indoor track around here close by. Now i have to figure out what to do so it never takes off on its own again?

RC Champion
    A few small changes after my runaway and crash. I decided to do a little rewiring. I moved the antenna to the other side of the chassis. Just had to drill and tap the existing hole in the flm chassis. since i dont run it wet conditions i drilled a small hole in the bottom of the rx box just under rubber seal and ran antenna wire out the same side totally isolating it from all the other wires. Also added a capacitor,cut a little slot in the rx box top and ran it out and into the little plastic container where the castle link plug was.drilled a hole in the cap to let it breath. added another little plastic container for the castle link. and then pulled the exess servo wire out of the rx box and tucked it into my little fuse box with the castle link and batt tap. Makes for a nice clean look with all telemetry installed and up and working. (except expander and gps module) witch for another 100.00 im really not interested in. more interested in temps and a lot of the features are pretty cool too. Heres a few pics. What do you guys think?

Found an ipod in good condition on ebay and got all telemetry working.

Made a little custom home made wing and some bed supports to mount it to.. Probably break on first crash but was fun to build and look cool untill then.

Question, Is it possible and Do you need the expander to hook up another temp sensor for thr esc and get display on ipod??
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 11-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice truck ! For those of us who like blue +1
    Never messed with the telemetry I run eagle tree e logger with GPS and brushless rpm sensor .
    After the run plug into the computer and will play a dashboard of your run! that would go good with your truck!
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-26-2012 at 09:41 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks 50togo, The eagle tree looks cool. Lots of info.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How tall are those road rage? I just pulled one off my 1/8 buggy and they will work but they don't look as wide or tall as yours. Mine are 4.5"
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-26-2012 at 06:45 PM.

you know EMAXXB.... your rear wheels on are the wrong way reverse the side of the wheels? not sure if you knew that. looking real nice. I like that Blower you made there very nice. does it work good? HOTROD MT hahaha
    how much HP+TQ you pulling out there?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Good looking truck! I was going to ask about how you mounted your antenna, but realized you answered that in your post. Oops!

How does the antenna normally mount on the chassis?
    Last edited by theMANIMAL; 11-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Formerly Wildjones before forum upgrade

RC Champion
    50togo, The road rage 40 series beadlock tires are 5.47 tall and 3.53 wide.

Mike-s good eye, I didnt even realize (yet) that they are on backwards LOL The blower (according to artical in car action magazine test) was 155deg. w/out and 125 deg with. so i guess they do work. but on 6s the belts dont seem to hold up. (Then its just ram air) LOL Ive run my other maxx on 4s 4 -5 times and the belt is still there. Not shore on HP + TQ. I guess you can figure it on the speed caculator,but im not shore what to put in for currant draw. 100 amps =3 HP, 150 amps =4.5 HP ?
    How many amps does the monster mamba draw??

manamal, The antenna usally mounts the same way but on the other side. I had my buddy machine a little slot in the flm antenna mount so i didnt have to run the wire out the bottom.

The mmm puts out 140-170amps I hear around. Yeah I didn't get think you wanted to go running and wonder why you didn't have any grip. Very nice blower and for cooling that much 30* is good. I would stick with 4s if using that then or stock up on belts.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The motor draws and the esc puts out!
    Any idea how much power the blower uses to turn at top rpm?
    Last edited by 50togo; 11-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.

RC Champion
    I dont know how much power the blower uses at top rpm. But something tells me its really not a factor. The little plastic fan inside weighs nothing and spins with no resistence and the belt rides on motor shaft witch is the same size as the pulley on the blower giving it like a 1 to 1 ratio. I havent noticed any difference after the belt broke.

Looking good mate...its come together nicely.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Thanks mate, Hope to get it out one more time before it snows. Then will have to find somthing else to do to it over the winter.

RC Champion
    After closer inspection i found the outer sidewalls of the road rages are pretty beat up. Half a dozen spots torn through the sides. These were new,had one run on 6s on pavement. I dont know what did more of the damage. Sliding it around on the pavment or when it took off on its own and crashed and sat upside down in the field at full throttle for a few minutes untill i finnaly managed to get the body off and turn it off. Im putting a new set of road rage together, this time with the wider proline comando wheels. 3-1/4 wide vs the cheyenne 2-3/4" wide) and some better firmer foams. I think the comando's will fit the road rage tires better than the cheyenes. and some firm foams will help keep the sidewalls off the pavement. Did a couple other small mods that i will post pics of soon.

RC Champion
    Swapped out the spectrum voltage protector for a novac racing glitchbuster. dont ask me why i guess it just looked more impresive. switched my little plastic containers back around and put the castle link back in the castle container where it should be and the novac in the other where it fits since its bigger. LOL Done!
    Then since you cant get a telemetry temp reading for both motor and esc I mounted one of these and stuffed the sensor in the side of the esc. Just had to bend one of the little heat sink fins a bit to get it in. Fits nicely. Dont know how acurate it will be but be interesting to see vs my infrared temp gun.

Then after it ran away on me and after running 3/4 of a football field only to find it wide open on its roof and the body clip bent around the post so i couldnt get it off with my fingers, "keys" nope in the truck. "'plyers in back pocket" wishful thinking at the time. finaly got front clips off and got to the switch without loosing a finger. so i did this.

Some different bumpers. jnr racing. they fit better and a little lighter too. plus wanted to see if some orings would stay on the road rages. these are 1/16 x 4-3/4 maybe a bit tight. squishing tires a littlte bit. anybody try orings on road rages??? making a new set and wondering if i should tape them again or try orings. The 3" tape i used seems to warp them. I think 2" will fit better and not bunch up around the edges.

And last for now in my attempt for a softer touchdown for the wheelie bar and maybe not want to send it into a cartwheel. I mounted a pair of small revo shocks to it. put some 60w oil in them and a little hr alum upgrade kit. I think this is a cool idea but wont take much of a crash to destroy. lol

Next im going to make some kind of little ductwork to channel some air into the esc. and a different grill. i dont like it.lol
    Its killing me not to be able to take it and try it. Raining and cold winter is here.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 12-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks clean!
    I did a speed run in my merv and hit it too hard at around 60 came up so hard and hit the wheelie bar and just flipped the truck up in the air! Nice crash that would of helped !

Looking good mate....
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Man this really is the sickest looking MAxx truck out there... incredible work man... just keeps getting better and better and better.... seriously ****** set up man, congrats on your level of detail and dedication!

RC Qualifier
    Nice work. Great looking truck you have there!

Sent from Oser world

RC Champion
    Thanks guys, It started out as a monster truck and spent so much time any money on it i decided not to bash it so it has kinda morphed into a Road Maxx hot rod MT. For now anyway. I Have another 3908 to beat on in my yard and take jumps.. I could never afford a real nice one as a kid, so about eight months ago i decided to take up a new hobby. and now that im almost an old guy LOL i can. Wife thinks im crazy. But i love it. I told her when i was 15 i had a rc that went 15 mph. now im almost 50 and have rc that goes 50 mph and if i live to 100 LOL ill get an XO-1

RC Champion
    Heres a couple pics of new road rages mounted on wider commando wheels painted black with much better foam set up and and polished rings. I used 3 foams on each. one of these. racers edge #rce5372 and two of these bigger ones under them hpi#103335 I also did not tape them this time. I found the tape kinda warps them and leaves flat spot where you overlap. So im going to try orings instead. These are much better, Firm, sidewalls are straight and tire doesnt slide back and forth on the rim. They run true and almost feel like they have air pressure in them.

RC Champion
    how much does your truck weigh with battery? Mine is really starting to put on weight during the holiday season, almost seems too heavy

RC Champion
    It weighs right around 15 pounds with two 2cell 5800 batts. A heavy beast. The commando beadlock wheel + road rage tire combo weigh 393 grams ea. and still need to be balanced.
    Last edited by EMAXXBRUSHLESS; 12-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Nice job on the wheels mate...well done , they look good.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    some more mods on the maxx. Since its winter here and it will be a shelf queen for a while untill spring. I figured it can at least look good. I made some new traxxas decals for the sides. "ROAD MAXX" Polished the beadlock rings and bumpers. Made a new grill with a couple more holes. LOL Waiting for some new headlight decals from jc concepts. Swapped my home made wing lol for a little revo exo carbon one. Painted the chassis brace black out plates blue and put them back on. Cut a couple holes in the back for air vents. and since my wife got me some flaming skull decals for xmas i put a couple of them on the wing to make her feel good. LOL

And in my attempt to direct some air into the esc to help keep it cool I made a sort of ram air duct out of a shop vac attachment and fit it into the body with a plumbing fitting and a pc of plastic pipe as an extra little air deflector to blow the air down onto the esc. I dont know how well it will work, if at all. But it should take the air that goes up in the cab and funnel it through the back of the cab and down into the esc. I will have to test it in the spring with another body.

Now ive been looking for some better cooler looking shocks. It never ends. LOL

RC Qualifier
    Look at the Gmade piggy back shocks

RC Champion
    Have you tried them? They look pretty good. But for the same or less you can get UE supershocks.

RC Champion
    Supershocks ftw!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    You'lle have to forgive me but what is ftw?

You already have the towers, some UE supershocks would be the ticket!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    I have to agree, Ill be getting some super shocks when money permits. LOL And theres no rush as we just got a nor easter snow storm. I have a rc snowmobile but its lame ,more of a kids toy. Are there any bigger electric rc snowmobiles out there?? Ill have to do a search.

RC Champion
    15lbs that should be considered a lethal weapon when it is doing 60mph lol
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    You'lle have to forgive me but what is ftw?
    FTW: For the Win; I don't know, it could be that.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Not much to report lately. LOL Made some one of a kind headlight decals and a sort of bottom grill for a new front look.
    Getting ready to tear it apart and redo my diffs with an 8mm full length pinion shaft.