Thread: rit dye chassis

RC Qualifier

rit dye chassis

so tried to dye my chassis last night and it didn't really turn out black. lol kind of more of a rustic look. just wondering what i did wrong. any info is appreciated....thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that's weird, you must have done something wrong, it is pretty simple just make sure the water is boiling hot, ad the dye (at least half pack), and put the parts for around 15-20 min.

RC Qualifier
    I used the whole pack, it got my chassis BLACK, maybe it was covered in oil or you didn't let it sit long enough...?
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    i scrubbed it down with some dish soap. before i did anything. only thing i did different was i didn't have the water boiling. and i used the liquid dye not the package not sure if that matters. well i'll try round 2 tonight. prob shouldn't be a issue doing it again should it? how much water did you mix with it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    boiling water is key, also enough water to cover the chassis, I never used the liquid always the one that comes in the bag, and never had an issue.

RC Qualifier
    Try the powder rit dye, that's what most if not all people use.
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    k well i'll try that tonight than have to stop and get some of the package dye. now you just rinse it off under water afterwords right? any other special steps i need to know bout? lol yea i just used some hot water from faucet last night got ****ed it didn't work and than tried to just putting it in straight dye from the bottle. lol. but i'll boil water up tonight and use a packet cause i finally got my green rpm arms last night and now it's just all spread out across a table out in my shop....thanks for the help guys i appreciate it. gotta love those moments you feel like a idiot. cause i kinda had a idea that i didn't have the water hot enough to open up the pores in the plastics.....thanks..

i'll get some pictures up later....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    don't just boil the water, you need to leave it with the stove still on for 15-20 min, then just rinse it on the sink. Google some videos on youtube there are plenty.

I've always used the liquid form and never had an issue. I believe the same rules apply, you must have the water boiling to activate the dye. You need enough dye in the water for desired color and the longer it sits in the solution the darker the item will become.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I put my p4de chassis in boiling water with the powder RIT dye on the side burner on my grill outside. Left it there for about 30 minutes boiling, then let is sit another hour until it had stopped steaming. Turned out nice and solid black.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Qualifier
    you left your chassis in there untill it quit steaming? you pulled your pot of the burner before putting it in there right?
    any problems with it staining your pot black or anything or did that clean out pretty good?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BomberSTi View Post
    you left your chassis in there untill it quit steaming? you pulled your pot of the burner before putting it in there right?
    any problems with it staining your pot black or anything or did that clean out pretty good?
    I bought a cheap $8 pot from Walmart, I got the water boiling in the pot on the grille burner, added the dye, stirred it up. Placed the chassis in the water, still on the burner, boiling it for 30 minutes. Turned off the burner on the grille, let the pot sit with the chassis in it for about another hour or so until the water was no longer steaming. At that point, I rinsed the chassis off, dried it off with a paper towel. Then began the reassembly of the "Digger P4de" I was building for my son. I have thread with pics about the build in which you can see the chassis before (gray) and after (black). Even though it was a cheap metal pot, it cleaned up nicely, can't tell I ever did anything to it.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Qualifier
    U can go even cheaper with an aluminum container like this... But yes either powder or liquid, I boiled the water in a regular pot then poured the boiling water into the aluminum tray thingy poured the powder, stirred it up, put in all my pieces and pulled them out in the morning for my end result... So in short boiling water, powder, stir, drop chassis, the longer the darker !

[QUOTE=ArmySSG;5205627]
    Whatever I just said.. I'm probably wrong..

RC Qualifier
    well got it done. thanks guys...yea ended up getting a hole in my disposable turkey pan not sure how was sturring it up with a couple plastic spoons and next thing i know i see dye rushing out from underneath pan. lol good thing i was doing it on my shop floor...i'll get some pics up and around after i get it all back together tonight...