RC Enthusiast

Question Traxxas Blast Radio with Seaking 35a ESC and Brushless Motor - PROBLEM

Hey guys, I'll cut right to the chase, here's my issue:

I hook up my new Seaking 35a marine ESC to the stock Traxxas Blast Radio (2218, 4ch) and then the motor.

Everything "works" except I cannot get the remote to program correctly. The ESC always assumes DOWN on the stick is FORWARD, no matter what I do. The throttle trim on the side doesn't help one bit.

Does anyone have any experience with a this radio and ESC?

The ESC i have: http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-35a.html

I'm trying to get this done soon, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    ok first the stock Blast radio is 2016 2 channel radio, it that's what you have then you need to reverse the servos.

On the bottome of the radio are two switchs, I'm not sure which is which but play with them and it'll reverse your servos, your problem has nothing to do with the ESC

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    ok first the stock Blast radio is 2016 2 channel radio, it that's what you have then you need to reverse the servos.

On the bottome of the radio are two switchs, I'm not sure which is which but play with them and it'll reverse your servos, your problem has nothing to do with the ESC
    Thank you very much for the reply. I will take a look at it, however the 2216 is the radio that came stock in my Blast. (Sorry, i previously stated 2218) I've only had the blast for about 1 month now, so it's very new.

Here's the pic of it:
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...6/963d6c91.jpg

Hey! The servo thing did the Trick. Once i got that working, I was worried about the reverse not working, however you have to go down once (for brake in cars i assume) then reverse again for reverse.

Thank you very much, saved me lots of frustration!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-10-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    No problem

How come you switch ESC? was it because you needed reverse? I was thinking of doing the same but I hear the backsplash can get the insides wet especially the antenna hole because our Blasts sit low in the water especially the rear end. Let me know how the reverse works I might follow your lead

BTW your radio is 2016 http://traxxas.com/products/parts/le...016transmitter receivers have different part numbers

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    No problem

How come you switch ESC? was it because you needed reverse? I was thinking of doing the same but I hear the backsplash can get the insides wet especially the antenna hole because our Blasts sit low in the water especially the rear end. Let me know how the reverse works I might follow your lead

BTW your radio is 2016 http://traxxas.com/products/parts/le...016transmitter receivers have different part numbers
    Well - truthfully, I wanted 3 things out of my blast:
    1. I wanted to be able to use Li-Po Batteries. The stock ESC does not have low voltage protection, and would fry a Li-Po
    2. I wanted to use a brush-less motor. Might have been able to on Stock ESC, not sure though.
    3. I wanted reverse.

All of that stuff, for only $33, sounded like a good deal to me.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-35a.html

RC Qualifier

Dang that's a great deal, I too considered your strategy even BEFORE I got my Blast LOL. After having it for a week the only thing I'm wishing for is a brushless for more efficiency, the Stinger get super hot and affects top speed I think, at about the 15 minute mark the Stinger loses punch and not sure if its the batts, my 5000mah nimhs get about 20 minutes.

Also I'm playing with the propeller angle, I've adjusted to the middle and the motor doesn't seem to have to work as hard, and i get a little more speed but the boat bounces on the water a bit.

One caution about Lipos is they can cut out in the middle of the lake or pond.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea - I have experienced that now. the LiPos absolutely cut out. Darn near lost the boat in the river. I'll have to make sure to stick to my NiMh batts when i'm there, save the LiPo for the lake where i can retrieve.

So far, my biggest issue is cooling. The motor gets super hot with the stock blast H20 cooling. I'm looking at a different water cooling jacket, like from the Spartan.

Also, I had to liquid cool my ESC, which - because i didn't have any good pickup mounts - currently poses a big problem with drag. I have new pickup mounts on the way, which i'll uses to center them. This is what they look like now, though...

And then here's the interior of my boat at the moment:

This post has been edited because of language abuse violation(s). If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2012 at 08:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice I like your clean install. Everyone I know that run Lipos always set a timer and bring it in at 5-7minutes regardless of battery life.

Even tho I run nimh I too set my smartphone timer as I put boats in the water, it keep tabs on performance and also how long I've been in the water as time flies when your having fun. Dunno about you I drive 20 miles to a lake so to make it worthy I bring 3 boats with me and spend a good 4-5 hours to get me gas money worth

As for your pick-up solution the Spartan uses one pickup, same water cooling the esc and motor, worth a try?

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, I live about, oh 10 blocks from a river which has a slow current - good place to play. I definitely could have used another boat tonight - took off real fast, hit a wave and turned and flipped her right over. Had to wait until it drifted into shore from the wind, luckily before it too far down the river. Everything turned out fine, but the radio gear got wet... Guess it's just 'water resistant'

Yea, i noticed the spartan does that. I was wondering how well it would cool the motor after the ESC, or vice versa. I'll get some pickup mounts from a villain next week, and I'll put the ESC pickup on the opposite side and see how that goes.

Ideally, I'd still like to get a new water jacket or motor with better cooling, as that seems to be my limit right now - heat. Also i have a new coupling for the motor/drive shaft on the way since mines looking beatup already. :0

Here's a taunt video i sent to my uncle - we're racing next week and he has a blast too. He doesn't know i modded mine Anyways, that's the area i play in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAwx...2&feature=plcp
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-16-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: post merge