Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC poster
    the dude in the "carbon fiber" video was a virgin for sure

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb276 View Post
    the dude in the "carbon fiber" video was a virgin for sure
    One could say the same for you!!
    7 posts and this is your 1st in 4 months . That dude* in the carbon vid , had the xo-1 before it was even released to public for sale because hes got it like that with his LHS , wish i had it like that when I walk in my LHS ..
    TRAXXAS should actually thank him or sponsor him because he promotes their product like no one else on youtube. God knows how many rustler fans went out and bought this car because of his videos or atleast the ones the can afford it .
    This video is almost 8 months old and was post a couple days after the XO-1 even came out to the public , most hobby shops didnt even have this forsale in their inventory stock yet . Anyhow dont be hating or callin ppl names when your fresher meat then they are just doesnt look right ya know .. When you spend over $1000 on a rc car and spend even more on such things for visual enhancement or mechanical mods you still might be a virgin but atleast you wont look so bad callin others the same with only a XL-5 stampede which im hoping had been converted to brushless by now .
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC poster
    I'm not doubting his involvement/expertise in the hobby at all. It just grinds my gears how he was bragging about his "carbon fiber edition" XO-1 when all he did was cut out vinyl stickers and put them on the trim. And I did upgrade to the castle sidewinder system, but all I do is bash my pede in the downtime of motocross racing. thats why I havent spent much time on this forum in the last 4 months. I broke my wrist when I got the truck and now I'm getting back into the hobby since I broke my leg. And not trying to degrade you guys, but the carbon fiber exhaust on my bike alone was well over $1000

RC Competitor
    has anybody changed the motor and tried other motors like the 2200 kv for example and got faster top speed than the motor that originally comes with the xo??

RC Qualifier
    I did max 128,9 km/h, around 80 mp/h with 23Z, stock Traxxas 25C Lipos.

I do that, while standing on a ladder (height of the ladder ~1,5m), to have a better view of things and to get more range.

I track every trial with a GPS logger- the total distance I need is around 450m (~1500ft) from start to stop.

I need ~ 8-9 seconds to reach top speed and 190m, ~620ft.

My problem and I believe this should the problem of others too, is the range!!

With new batteries in the TX, I will get out of range and the end of the run, ~ aoround 250m to 300m (900ft) away from me, I am standing in the middle of the run.

I DONT!! break hard though, to save the ESC.

I had no problems so far, getting the car going straight or getting airborne, so the problem is the range.

Of course it is difficult see at 900ft away, but I would like to let it "roll out" mostly and just break very late.

What range do you get and what is the range according Traxxas- I cant find that info anymore...
    Last edited by lcaa; 09-09-2012 at 06:42 AM.

RC Racer
    I wouldn't be scared to break hard at 80 mph. I have been told that the range is 1/2 a mile. I've had my car so far away that it was a little dot in the road. You shouldn't need that kind of distance to do 80 mph. Are you having problems with the car spinning out ??

RC Qualifier
    1/2 Mile- NEVER on this earth!

I am even standing on a ladder, so the line of sight is increased, but the range is not even 1/4 mile!

At 1/2 mile you wouldn't see anymore anyway- but a 1000ft// 1/5 mile should be possible and needed going for 100mph.

I checked my antenna lenght, which is almost fully extended in the blue ant tube.

I never spinned out ( I prefer it stays that way), because the way I accelerate...I guess...

I am trying to continously pull the trigger until max throttle, plus you need to hold at max for a little while to reach topspeed, thats why I measured ~ 8 to 9 seconds to 80 mph, the way I drive.
    I have quite some milage on it now and now issues of driving it at all, moving from 14Z, 18Z, 20Z, to 23Z now.
    Last edited by lcaa; 09-09-2012 at 12:22 PM.

RC Racer
    I just got done looking for the range in the owners manual and I can't find anything. I think the guy at the hobby store told me 1/2 mile.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your answer.

I was looking for that too, but cant find anymore...

Concerning the braking out of a high speed run: since breaking is electronically achieved, ESC will warm up doing this quite a bit plus the tires will have increased wear...and I dont know really if the will be blockedand I get out of line- so I am kind of carefull doing that.
    Last edited by lcaa; 09-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    With the tall gearing, braking isn't the quickest thing in the world. With a parachute, the chute removes almost all of the top speed very quickly leaving the motor to just slow the car from lower speeds. Very effective.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb276 View Post
    I'm not doubting his involvement/expertise in the hobby at all. It just grinds my gears how he was bragging about his "carbon fiber edition" XO-1 when all he did was cut out vinyl stickers and put them on the trim. And I did upgrade to the castle sidewinder system, but all I do is bash my pede in the downtime of motocross racing. thats why I havent spent much time on this forum in the last 4 months. I broke my wrist when I got the truck and now I'm getting back into the hobby since I broke my leg. And not trying to degrade you guys, but the carbon fiber exhaust on my bike alone was well over $1000
    Thanks for not making 15 YouTube videos of your new Carbon fiber exhaust pipe sitting on a table.

RC Qualifier
    We want video's of that $1,000 carbon fiber fart cannon on your motorcycle!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
    E Revo brushless, XO-1, Nitro 4 tec 3.3, HPI RS4

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
    We want video's of that $1,000 carbon fiber fart cannon on your motorcycle!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
    haha allow me to finish putting the stickers on it first!

RC Competitor
    So has no one put an xl2 in their xo-1 and tried it on 8s. The motor can handle it. Would still be far under 60k rpm.

RC Qualifier
    man i bought a brand new roller and xl2 but never got round to gettin the 4s batteries for it have since bought 5 others rc cars and boats and the project has just settled to the side lol
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    man i bought a brand new roller and xl2 but never got round to gettin the 4s batteries for it have since bought 5 others rc cars and boats and the project has just settled to the side lol
    Yeah, its funny how that happens. I'm actually thinking about picking up a roller and putting my 1717 and xl2 in it. Issue is I refuse to spend a lot on a roller.

RC Enthusiast
    Just found my usb cable for my camera so sorry for the bad qaulity pic's will take better ones 2moro. only on 6s and its a beast hoping to get some vids up soon

Really Really love this car and the TQi

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Just found my usb cable for my camera so sorry for the bad qaulity pic's will take better ones 2moro. only on 6s and its a beast hoping to get some vids up soon

Really Really love this car and the TQi
    Where did you get that duel fan from?

RC Enthusiast
    Got them out of my old YLOD PS3 Phat's intercooler made by Nyko and they move air like crazy when the cars stopped you can feel the hot air coming out the back. there model name is, FSY 42S12M, DC12v 0.12A. Got them hooked up to a 4s batt i tried 6s on them and they hover off the ground lol dont think they'll last long on 6s though.And they work very well when cooling the motor
    Last edited by John McClane; 09-14-2012 at 06:51 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Cheers bud, I'm running the same setup, how hot does your esc get?

RC Enthusiast
    Hard for me too know what is a good temp seeing this is my Fourth r/c car and 1st brush-less setup but i hear anything over 150F for the esc isnt good i think... so i try to keep it under that the motor hardly gets over 100F with 29t pinion even with hard drifting. On 5300mah 6s 35c`70c N4N0T3CH's.Punch control is at 10% which helps temp allot, start power is low and Torque set to 7.0

Min:68F
    Avg:102F
    Max:136F
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by John McClane; 09-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.

RC Competitor
    I know that this is an old post but since I've picked up my xo-1 this past summer I haven't seen any real speed run videos. I mean some people use the telemetry and that's fine some people also strap on a GPS unit and I guess that's cool too but too get the most accurate time and to measure your speed the official and correct way you have to set up a speed trap that's how Guinness, and the ISC measures speed using a radar gun and or Trackmate timing system. I used a radar trap for my run and hit 118MPH there have been people to claim to have gone faster but there is no video evidence or there using some type of gps and not a speed trap. So with me not seeing any video evidence of this I believe I have the fastest xo-1 if I'm wrong please send me a link or let me know where I can see recorded evidence and that 148MPH DEFINATLY DOSENT COUNT SINCE THE CAR WENT BUY AT ABOUT 80 and supposedly did 148 off camera using a GPS unit ha ha ha lol heres a real speed run http://youtu.be/mpPb7kH2nJw
    Fastest Radar Verified XO-1!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by STL RC RACING View Post
    So with me not seeing any video evidence of this I believe I have the fastest xo-1
    Well, you'd be wrong.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Competitor
    We'll stench where's the video evidence?????????? RADAR OR LASER SPEEDTRAP VERIFIED AND NOT GPS!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    We'll stench where's the video evidence?????????? RADAR OR LASER SPEEDTRAP VERIFIED AND NOT GPS!!!!!!!!!!
    So now GPS is no longer acceptable? For months on here I was told that GPS was the be all and end all in speed measurement and now it's not even in the top two. Who new.

This forum has accepted GPS readings as well as radar gun for has long as I have been a member here.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I'm not saying it isn't acceptable I'm just saying I haven't seen any real speed runs done the official way with a speed trap like the ISC and Guiness use for world records using an XO-1. GPS has never been used for either and It has only been recorded with radar and now there using the Trackmate timing system which I am in the process of purchasing. GPS is cool for just out having fun with friends and getting a general idea of where your at and what not but if your trying to go up against everyone then the speed trap is the way to go I mean if nic case would have used a gps unit or telemetry he probably would have had 200mph a long time ago...lol. But honestly having your car measured consistently the whole run isn't the official way just saying.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not saying it isn't acceptable I'm just saying I haven't seen any real speed runs done the official way with a speed trap like the ISC and Guiness use for world records using an XO-1. GPS has never been used for either and It has only been recorded with radar and now there using the Trackmate timing system which I am in the process of purchasing. GPS is cool for just out having fun with friends and getting a general idea of where your at and what not but if your trying to go up against everyone then the speed trap is the way to go I mean if nic case would have used a gps unit or telemetry he probably would have had 200mph a long time ago...lol. But honestly having your car measured consistently the whole run isn't the official way just saying.
    I have a Trackmate speed trap. And for what its worth, GPS will usually show a SLOWER time than then car actually runs. Most of them can't sample fast enough to accurately measure the peak speed.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    I have a Trackmate speed trap. And for what its worth, GPS will usually show a SLOWER time than then car actually runs. Most of them can't sample fast enough to accurately measure the peak speed.
    If you say so to each his own, I know it's all personal opinion which is fine but I will only recognize radar & laser trap runs!!

RC Qualifier
    This is actually not a matter of personal opinion. I've tested this stuff and verified it. But you are free to believe as you wish.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Hard for me too know what is a good temp seeing this is my Fourth r/c car and 1st brush-less setup but i hear anything over 150F for the esc isnt good i think... so i try to keep it under that the motor hardly gets over 100F with 29t pinion even with hard drifting. On 5300mah 6s 35c`70c N4N0T3CH's.Punch control is at 10% which helps temp allot, start power is low and Torque set to 7.0

Min:68F
    Avg:102F
    Max:136F
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Max of 136 deg doesn't seem bad.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Keep in mind a GPS unit is easiest for most people to use and afford. Not everyone can shell out the cash for a more accurate system. Also, it's a bit more time consuming to set up for most. A lot of people go out by themselves to make they're runs and if they are like me, don't have a ton of time to do so. For me, if a video shows a zeroed GPS, follows the car through the run and then shows the top speed after, then I'm good with that. Remember, most are not trying to set official records here. They are just having fun seeing how fast they can go.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    STL RC RACING, we would all appreciate it if you didn't come onto the forum to start fights about radar guns and gps etc.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    All measurement methods and devices have flaws and can be manipulated somehow. How can we be sure, that your speed trap is calibrated correctly and positioned at the right angle towards the car? How do we know, that it is set to mph and not kph? How do we know that the display device is actually connected to the radar gun in the video and not to a second radar gun behind the camera that measures some other car? How do we know that the display device doesn't show numbers you just send to it using some special-made device that allows to send any number to it?

In my opinion, the best way to judge if a claimed speed is correct (or atleast in the same ballpark) is to have _all_ information on the car and as much datalogging as possible. Give us information what gearing was used, weight of car, tires, motor, ESC, batteries etc.
    Strap a data logger to it and measure current, voltage, motor RPM, motor temp, ESC temp and speed (via GPS module) and put a graph of a run online together with the video. If you don't want to spend money on a datalogger, use your smartphone and some App like "Android Tacho", it will record the path driven and can show it on google maps and it can make a graph of speed over time.

If I am not mistaken, the only guy here on the forum that gave accurate information on motors, ESC, battery, gearing, etc. is Stench. Running 2x 8S compared to 1x 6s would calculate to 2.66x the power of an original XO-1 (assuming that currents stay about the same). Considering that 1:1 cars need about 75HP to reach 100mph and about 200HP to reach 150mph, I would say that 150mph is in the range of being possible with Stench's setup.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    STL RC RACING, we would all appreciate it if you didn't come onto the forum to start fights about radar guns and gps etc.
    First off no one is starting anything and I'm entitled to my own opinion thank you very much!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    All measurement methods and devices have flaws and can be manipulated somehow. How can we be sure, that your speed trap is calibrated correctly and positioned at the right angle towards the car? How do we know, that it is set to mph and not kph? How do we know that the display device is actually connected to the radar gun in the video and not to a second radar gun behind the camera that measures some other car? How do we know that the display device doesn't show numbers you just send to it using some special-made device that allows to send any number to it?

In my opinion, the best way to judge if a claimed speed is correct (or atleast in the same ballpark) is to have _all_ information on the car and as much datalogging as possible. Give us information what gearing was used, weight of car, tires, motor, ESC, batteries etc.
    Strap a data logger to it and measure current, voltage, motor RPM, motor temp, ESC temp and speed (via GPS module) and put a graph of a run online together with the video. If you don't want to spend money on a datalogger, use your smartphone and some App like "Android Tacho", it will record the path driven and can show it on google maps and it can make a graph of speed over time.

If I am not mistaken, the only guy here on the forum that gave accurate information on motors, ESC, battery, gearing, etc. is Stench. Running 2x 8S compared to 1x 6s would calculate to 2.66x the power of an original XO-1 (assuming that currents stay about the same). Considering that 1:1 cars need about 75HP to reach 100mph and about 200HP to reach 150mph, I would say that 150mph is in the range of being possible with Stench's setup.
    Good post. The truth of the matter is that often power is not really the problem. I guess that's easy for me to say with a propulsion system like mine, but the hard part is actually keeping the car stable and driveable at these speeds. STL Racing is already finding this out as you can hear the car flip in the video, and that is only going to get worse as you add more speed. Then your tires start to explode. It takes a pretty healthy amount of determination to work through these problems.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post

And once again like I've been trying to explain to people this whole time radar and the Trackmate systems are and have been used to set records officially and GPS has just been used for weekend fun, and if your going to make claims to have the fastest anything then some form of speed trap is the way to go why do you think the ISC AND GUINESS DONT USE IT, Oh and by the way if you pay attention to my videos you'll see that all those things you listed off about are not true, AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Good post. The truth of the matter is that often power is not really the problem. I guess that's easy for me to say with a propulsion system like mine, but the hard part is actually keeping the car stable and driveable at these speeds. STL Racing is already finding this out as you can hear the car flip in the video, and that is only going to get worse as you add more speed. Then your tires start to explode. It takes a pretty healthy amount of determination to work through these problems.
    Yes you are correct in the video the body came loose in the back and the car was unstable and flipped at the end, I have no issue with power the factory motor has been used in all my runs just gotta finish up the aerodynamics on the body to do some serious runs.

RC Qualifier
    And once again like I've been trying to explain to people this whole time radar and the Trackmate systems are and have been used to set records officially and GPS has just been used for weekend fun, and if your going to make claims to have the fastest anything then some form of speed trap is the way to go why do you think the ISC AND GUINESS DONT USE IT, Oh and by the way if you pay attention to my videos you'll see that all those things you listed off about are not true, AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!!!!
    Look man, nobody's trying to say your car isn't fast. I think they are just saying that for you to come on here and claim that you have been 118 and you are the fastest XO in the world because you have a radar gun and everybody else's claims are junk is a little bit ridiculous.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys at the end of the day all I was trying to find out is if there is a video of some type showing an XO-1 going through a speed trap and showing top speed that all I was looking for if there is something of that nature out there on the net then please send me a link or let me know where to go see it because I have searched hi and low online and cannot find any except for me all I have found is GPS runs and photos!!!!