Thread: Rustler VXL!

RC Racer

Cool Rustler VXL!

This is my Rustler. And the set up I am running. Any questions, or comments will be answered. Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys! Next vid will be running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoA0iFq7Oo

RC Qualifier
    Well, I have a few tips for you. First of all if you are running speedruns flip your front bumper upside down to prevent the front from lifting. Also do you use any weight in the front? A heatsink and fan for the motor can reduce temps which is good.

RC Racer
    I use a gps in the front for weight. I really don't have a problem with the front lifting, as long as I roll the throttle and keep the punch control low. And I have a fan on the ESC and the motor stays under 180*F. I run a few speed runs and let everything cool down. I also have Spektrum with SR3300T with telemetry so I can keep an eye on everything from my TX.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, well the setup seem to work for you, how ever its just "another" rustler among others...

RC Racer
    I do speed runs with it, but also like to see how fast I can take turns, that is why I installed the shocks and springs. I also have rear slash arms to make the front and rear the same width. It helped the handling a bunch.

RC Qualifier
    you need weights trust me

RC Qualifier
    Well, if he has a gps on front that weighs around 7-10oz then he will be fine. But we dont know his gearing though. I also dont understand why he has cut out holes on the front upper chassis.

RC Racer
    I cut the holes on the front plate to lighten it up, and to keep air from getting trapped and lifting the front. And the GPS I am using is somewhere around 8 OZ so I don't need to add more weight, it holds the front down fine. The set up I am using works great for speed runs and works good for running through some cones I set up to make a little track.

And my gearing is TOP SECRET! Just kidding, but I will tell you it has all mod 1 gears.
    Last edited by JustynKace; 07-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.

RC Racer
    What gearing are you using?

RC Qualifier
    The holes also weakens the chassis if you hit something. I dont know if that has such a big impact cutting out holes. Could that small area really lift the car? Specially since you have a 8oz gps mounted there. Those small holes hardly lightens the chassis. What speed have you reached according to the gps?
    Last edited by ttThree; 07-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.

RC Racer
    With the gps the fastest I have gone is 63.? something on 2 cell lipo. I am saving up to get a 3s lipo and a new brushless system. Thanks for taking interest in my Rustler build. I also have the rear diff packed full of heavy grease, and it has helped the straight line speed. I also have the tires strapped, and have the toe, and camber set up to handle at very fast speeds.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, 63 on 2s, thats hard to believe if you mean mph. Whats your gearing?

Videos on youtube show approx 50 mph with 2s and suitable gearing.

RC Racer
    I was doing quick turns too, so that may have not been a correct MPH. But I know it is faster then 50 MPH, I will do a speed run with no high speed turns. And I am sorry but I will not disclose my gear. Like I said it is a MOD-1 spur and pinion.

RC Champion
    Keeping your gearing a secret is the funniest thing i've heard all week!
    Its not like there is some special ratio where you'll have a faster truck than any other ratio possible. Anyone could go out and buy an even steeper or less steep ratio for $5. and, its not like anybody cares if you're worried somebody will try to outdo you by copying your setup

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustynKace View Post
    And I am sorry but I will not disclose my gear.
    lol! why? Do you do 63MPH with a two cell lipo for a living?

RC Racer
    I put a lot of work in too finding a gear that worked well for me. And if I don't want to disclose it, I don't have too. Every racer has there own secrets, and I have a few of my own. I am not worried if someone out does me, I just like to have fun. The rusty is not my race truck it is my play truck, and has only seen the pavement. I am glad you got a laugh out of my post hope you get many more.

RC Racer
    I spent a lot of cash buying gears, and playing around. I have even burnt a few motors up in the process. So you can enjoy my vids. but find your own gearing that works, too me that is half the fun. Sure I could give you a spur and pin gear number but that would take the fun out of it. So go experiment on your own to find what works good for you. Like I said I am running a MOD-1 gear set. And that is all I will disclose.

RC Enthusiast
    I can't disclose my reply.

RC Champion
    If you don't want to you don't have to, but using the same gear ratios as somebody else isn't the end-all-be-all solution to finding the right gearing. Somebody won't miss out on tuning their truck because they used your gears, it's just something for people to consider when they play around, what people have had success with. To each their own, I guess. It would be dumb to try to argue over something this insignificant.

RC Racer
    I agree with you. I just wanted everyone to have fun and try different gearing. I am not trying to make anyone mad. And anyone with ideas for me to go faster without messing up my handling would be great. Over the weekend, I will get a vid of me running the truck and post it on here as well. Thanks for everyone that posted. And keep the idea's coming.

RC Racer
    And did anyone notice the Family guy episode in the back ground? Stewie farting at the very first of the vid? I laughed my butt off the first time I watched it cause I didn't mean to have that in the back ground and was going to put some nice music but had to leave Stewie cause it was too funny.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, seriously man, you are funny. Frist you make a video and ask for peoples opinions, then you dont want to give away your gearing? If you think you can achieve 63 mph with 2s you are funny. As I said before you probably hit 50 with 2s or 55, or something like that, no rocket science.

Gearing isnt all man, you need to fiddle with alot of other things. There are people spending 1000 dollars on their builds and show everything. Look in my build thread, all solutions etc are showed, even though it has cost me time and money. People can try my setup, even though i dont recommend it.

Your gearing is only of significans if people are doing a 100% same setup as you, because things like the motor, esc, wheels, weight, etc, affects the gearing you use. And i doubt some one will make a 100% copy of your setup.

There are flaws in your setup anyways:

- anaconda wheels
    - no heatsink and fan for motor
    - no alloy bulkhead
    - no alloy tranny
    - etc

You had it comming man...you setup is hardly a hard core racer.

RC Racer
    I am not trying to be a hard core racer by any means. I just like to have fun. I also have other RC cars and trucks I am building, so not all of my time is going to just this one truck. What wheels and tires do you recommend? And I plan on buying another motor and ESC so I don't want to buy a fan for the motor. And if I am not breaking bulkheads why do I need an aluminum bulkhead? When I got the 63MPH I was also doing high speed turns so the G's from the turn may have gave an inaccurate reading. I too think it was closer to 55mph then 63mph. And I posted this to get opinions, not to say I was the best. Like I said I do this just to have fun. And I am wanting to get to 80mph, so I am open to all opinions and want to hear them all.
    Last edited by JustynKace; 07-13-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spell check

RC Qualifier
    Okay I understand. But this forums is all about sharing. "Dont show it if you cant back it up" .

Seriously, if you aim on 80 mph you will need to do a rebuild, if you want a truck that is more stable and a durable than stock.

The alloy bulkhead is more durable than stock and it is less likely the pins will bend in a crash. You dont have to drive fast to brake things, it is just a common mod people are doing. You never know when you are going to crash. Lets say you are accelerating and end up on the gravel and crash, then those durable parts will hold up better than stock for sure.

For 80 mph, which is killer fast, you want the castle mamba max pro esc and the 2400kv motor, or equivalent system from ezrun, etc. Also 4s high C rate lipos. You also want proper tyres like the Jaco foams or the GRP Gandini 1/8 buggy wheels.
    A good upgrade is also a alloy tranny case which works as a big heatsink. Also a heatsink and fan for the motor.

You alreaddy have aftermarket shocks so that is good, but lower your car so it is 1 inch from the ground. Also add around, hmm 400-450 grams?? of weight to the front, to keep the front end down. A gyro is also a common and good buy, so your servo is centered all the time, and make steering smooth in high speeds.

Really to get a sustainable 80 mph setup, the list can be made long, it all depends on which parts you can get hold of and how deep pockets you have. I havent done a 80 mph setup myself, but these are estimates.

You can read the build threads here, for example Nitroelectrics thread, he is doing a 100 mph setup for example.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks for the advice. Another question is do I only need 4s and not 6s? And what transmission fits the best? And I am on a budget not just an all out build. As I said before I am also building a Revo, and Merv too. But most of all I want to get the Rusty up to the 80mph that I want. I didn't mean to make anyone mad by not disclosing my gears. Right now I am using a 48p 76 spur and 35 pinion gear. But I am exploring different gears in the mod .8 and mod 1 gears. But since I am looking at buying a motot and ESC I will wait till I get the motor and then decide based on kv rating and shaft size. I am also looking for new batteries my lipos have lost there punch.

HAHA!!!

My spy cams show you are running 17/34... a little steep but that's ok for speed runs (traxxas mod 1 with a 17t pinion). Check out the link below:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...on-Gears-Mod-1
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Nice work Justyn, don't let a little ribbing slow you down.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Thanks. This week when I get paid I will be ordering a few things to get the build going. What shock tower has good ratings. The first mods I will be working on is handling, and getting a new battery. Then I will be looking in to a set of wheels. Then the new brushless system will come. But I want to see the limit of the VXL before giving up.

RC Qualifier
    The limit is some where at 70 mph with the velineon system. Similar to the 4600kv and 5700kv motors I would guess. For above 70 the 3800kv is a choice and the 2400kv as mentioned before is good to 80 mph. How ever the velineon system is old, and castle is newer technology with 4 pole motors and programable esc thru laptop. I had a velineon system before and I was satisfied.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks for the info. I was not sure if the Velineon system was 2 pole or more. Does anyone know how many poles the tacon motors have? I have been looking at them because the cost. And I am still trying to decide on what Esc would be best for my app.

RC Qualifier
    The castle mamba max pro would be best, or any other hobbywing/ezrun 120A esc. I dont know either if the tacon motors are 4 pole i hope so. Are you planning on a 4000kv motor then?

RC Racer
    I was looking at the 2800Kv motor. I thought that and a 4 cell would get a good start. That is after I decide on a ESC.

RC Racer
    Not all out speed. I still want to be able to set up my cones and make some quick turns. I am looking to hit 80mph. Right now the Rusty handles good, but I want more speed. I am thinking about getting a Castle Mamba max. And a Tacon 3674 2800kv motor. But still looking for a motor. And trying to find someone that knows if the Tacon motors are 2 pole or 4? Thanks for the interest in my build. I was going to have a post up running the Rusty how it sets now. But my lipos are old and don't have very much punch left, so it would not be much of a video.

RC Qualifier
    You can run around cones, but it wont be that fun with a rusty built for 80 mph. First it will be heavy and the handling wont be ultimate for "cone running". But do as you please, I also bash around some times with my speedrunner.

Why dont you email Tacon, asking them if the motor is 2, or 4-pole?

RC Racer
    I can't get any reply from tacons website. Any one know if they are 4 pole?