RC poster

New life to old/stock rustler 3706

I have done a bunch of reading on upgrades and parts for the stock 3706. What I decided on is:
    RPM Carriers #80372-#80382(Front and Rear)
    Steel Idler Gear #3696
    Steel Ring diff #2381x
    5x11x4 metal bearings

I am still deciding between the XL-5 ESC w/12T Titan motor, or going with the Velineon brushless system #3350

stock has a 18t pinion gear along with a 84t spur gear, when I upgrade to either the 12T titan or the brushless should I change the gears? I read that higher teeth will be higher speeds but I am mainly using this for offroad and not pavement.

any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    If you have the money go brushless, you cant go wrong with the Velineon system if you want it water proof. How ever for the money you could go castle 4600kv and castle sidewinder sv2 (good for 2s), or mamba max pro esc (good for 3s). Castle is not water proof by the way. It will be cool upgrading a old truck with newer technology. Lipo and brushless cant be compared to nimh and brushes system.

RC Champion
    I wouldn't even waste your time with a brushed system. Compared to brushless you will be very disappointed. The Velineon brushless with 22/83 gearing on 2s IMO is perfect. For dirt and bashing it will be great. When you want to take it on the road. Drop in a 3s on same gearing. I have found that gearing to be very efficient. I get good run time. And my equipment doesn't get overheated. JMO. Everybody has a way of their own. Most important is that you dont waist your time and money on a brushed system.

I agree with going brushless. You just can't beat it for cost and reliability. Viper copperhead 4500 is also a good system for about $145.00

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    brushless is THE way to go..if you have the extra cash..do it. i got mine a few weeks ago and i love it. stick with traxxas an go velinon. way faster,more reliable,waterproof..the list goes on and on
    Rustler...the greatest rc truck of them all

RC Champion
    I agree go straight to brushless. It will be worth the money if not for performance at least for reliability and maintenance benefits. Keeping a good Brushed motor in good shape cost $$$ and Titan 12T won't last forever (a few months max vs. Brushless lasting 2+ years but potentially forever.

if your xl-5 is the old one, you MUST change the internal gears with steel gears before going to brushless.
    please make sure that your trany gears are made of steel first.

RC poster
    thanks for the awesome feedback guys! yes i am changing all the internal gears from steel to plastic. Looks like brushless is the way to go. I've seen some vids online of rustlers with brushless and the speeds look insanely FUN...

So for a price point of about $150 is there any brushless kit that is better than the other?

RC Qualifier
    For $150 you can get most of the popular systems. If you want a completely waterproof system go with the traxxas velineon, if you don't care about water proof go with a castle 1/10 system, they are fully programmable and still water resistant. There are also many other good combos out there that I am not familiar with. Also, check to make sure you need the parts your buying, my truck is also pretty old so I thought it would need the steel ring diff. I bought it and when I went to install I found that I already had one!

.... You mean from plastic to steel

edit: for $150 system , it's velineon to go as said above.
    Last edited by Desert JATO; 07-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.

RC poster
    yea plastic to steel....

Looks like velineon it is! again thanks for the feedback guys. Im pretty excited to get this thing torn down and rebuilt for some speed and fun that will last more than 10-15 minutes

This is exactly what i did in 2008 . my xl5 came with titan motor and the yellow old esc, plus plastic gears .
    i changed all these in adition to other minor parts and it's lipo-bl fun fun to go

Make sure you check and grease the transmission bearings during the update. And balance the tires if you haven't done so already.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier

typo

You will love some brushless, BEWARE-BROKEN PARTS!

RC poster
    so i ordered the brushless kit along with a assortment of pinion and spur gears to see what works best. next i am ordering some RPM bumbers, motor guard, and wheelie mounts. only thing im not sure of is new bigger tires for off-road. looks like stock ruslter comes with 2.20x2.00 tires. can i even go to a bigger size tire? only thing available on the traxxas site is a 2.8 tire, not sure if that size would even be noticably bigger.

any advice?

i am going to take pics along the way from start to finish