Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RC Qualifier
    A little while ago I got a trophy, OK I'll put my hands up. The Bandit didn't win it by itself, half the championship was done using the Bandit and the other half was done using a race buggy.

However this is the thing, the Bandit is faster than my race buggy given the right conditions.

Outdoors on a bumpy grass track the Bandit still has an edge over the race buggy when it gets slippery. A usual night's racing looks like this the mid-motor race buggy will be slightly quicker than the Bandit during the qualifying rounds but by the time the floods lights come on for the final when it is colder and the grass track gets a little damp the Bandit has the edge over the pure racer. And it is worth pointing out that when it is dry the difference between them isn't that large, they will lap close to one another.

As far as specs, it is still largely the same as before. I've just kept on learning about how to set it up. One key thing I found is that using mini spikes and mini pins up front when most buggies use staggered ribs is the thing to do with the Bandit.

As for what comes next for the Bandit racer. Well I've done one round of a popular indoor championship, the next step is to get it into a regional race if I can get it narrow enough.

People said it couldn't be done... I think it can, the Bandit can be a nice club racer for a beginner. It is a really nice drive The biggest issue with the Bandit is not its capability, is getting to a stage where it is raceable. With a race buggy it is easy, find out what the pros are using for a certain track or surface type and download the setup sheet... Sadly that cannot be done with the Bandit, but after all this time I have decent baseline setups for both carpet and grass. I'm SO happy with this Bandit racer and getting a tailor made race buggy has only confirmed to me that the Bandit really isn't bad, the basher can be a racer with the right setup.

So I don't think the little Bandit will be going through many other huge changes, it is working great as it is... If anything I'd like to do something to make it more unique, perhaps a really unusual shell. Any ideas?

PS: Those who remember all the lead I had stuck to the bottom of the Bandit, well the ballast is nearly gone! Running nearly as light as it can be now... which is still HEAVY! But I think it helps a little on very bumpy tracks.

PPS: And if you are wondering, do I prefer to be driving my race buggy or the Bandit? Usually the Bandit The Bandit is a little more mellow, drives closer to a truck than a buggy I think.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 07-04-2013 at 04:43 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Cunawarit thats a really nice bandit! Im getting my Bandit ready to race this sunday hopefully things go alright as its my first time at the track :/ My thread is outdated so ill update it with some pictures later on c:

RC Qualifier
    First time what matters is staying on the track and learning the whole process from marshalling to grabbing the correct transponder, etc... You won't have much time to tweak the setup

I'd get a selection of spring rates, not necessarily for the first race, but for the future when you start playing with your setup.

RC Champion
    Congrats on your success with the bandit, Cunawarit. And i couldnt agree with you more, these TRAXXAS 2wd can run with the 'big dogs' if the track conditions allow for it.

RC Qualifier
    One quick note, I've tried to use 4-Tec carriers to get a lil more toe in at the back. So 3 degrees as opposed to stock 1.5. I thought it would be a nice way to get either 1.5 or 3 degrees.

It isn't the way to do it if you want to remain race legal sadly, it has taken the width of the car above legal at the back. Even with stock pin mount wheels.

It looks like if you want to have adjustable toe at the back you'll have to use the RPM box which swings the whole arm forward.... this hopefully increases the width less and keeps it legal.

I'll give it a run anyway to see if it works better at 3 deg than 1.5...

RC Racer
    Awesome looking buggy and congratulations working some kinks out and giving us few Traxxas racers some inspiration.

Have a few questions if you dont mind ?
    How much wider does the TeamC wheels make the buggy ?
    What traxxas wheels are you using ?

again awesome buggy and thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
    How much wider does the TeamC wheels make the buggy ?
    It is difficult to tell exactly as it depends on camber and toe too, but 6 - 7 mm or so.

What traxxas wheels are you using ?
    The older style Bandit wheels, they can still be found online TRX-2474 and TRX-2475. Those keep it legal at the back with stock toe in and reasonable camber.

According to my gage the front is not legal with any camber even with the old Traxxas wheels. Sadly those front white Traxxas wheels are smaller than standard buggy wheels so not all tyres fit well.

And finally thanks for the compliments I'm glad my efforts have been enjoyed by others as well as me, I'm still surprised how good this Bandit ended up. In fact, I am racing later today and guess what I'll be racing? Yeah, the Traxxas! Late summer outdoor grass is sure to be slippery tonight.

RC Racer
    Haha,the bandit is the "mudder" of RC buggies.

Well i am busy working on a "racey" Rustler but have a pile of parts and this winter will be working on a bandit so there is a lot of useful information here. I race on a indoor clay track and outside loose dirt track, very different surfaces so it should be fun.

I used to race every weekend but got burnt out over the course of a few years buying the latest and greatest. I decided to get back into RC but this time will actually enjoy it and figured no better way to do that using traxxas chassis, parts everywhere and inexpensive to boot

Wouldnt think on a club level the 6-7mm will matter unless it just scrubs too much speed. have you tried wheels from a 22 or b4.2 ?

Thank you again and good luck today with your race and I may bend your ear more in the future

RC Qualifier
    The club doesn't mind the extra width, but I cannot race it on regional races sadly. The 22 wheels don't fit.

You can ask anything you want But don't assume I am an expert or a great driver, I'm neither. Just a guy having some fun and trying my best.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    The club doesn't mind the extra width, but I cannot race it on regional races sadly. The 22 wheels don't fit.

You can ask anything you want But don't assume I am an expert or a great driver, I'm neither. Just a guy having some fun and trying my best.
    That is what this hobby is all about I am not either and dont take my racing serious, is just a good way to spend time with friends and relax. Its toy cars so i dont get over worked about things lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the 22 wheels, will use teamc wheels. Does Traxxas not offer any 2.2 wheels for the bandit ? My bandit AKA parts pile is hardly complete lol.

RC Qualifier
    I think the current Bandit wheels are proper 2.2 wheels, but don't quote me on it. I've never tried them, part of the reason I use Team-C wheels is because I can buy them at the track.

RC Racer
    That would be nice if the Traxxas wheels would work. Cant believe they dont offer a 2.2 dish wheel lol

RC Qualifier
    Well it is marketed as a basher, I guess chrome spokes are seen as cooler than white dishes

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    Well it is marketed as a basher, I guess chrome spokes are seen as cooler than white dishes
    Touche ! lol

Chrome spokes.. has to make it faster right lol