Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Champion
    hey what tranny did you get?

RC Champion
    maybe move the weights you have on your chassis more towards the front. im thinkin more weight on the front will help with under steer. im having the same issue some of which was fixed when i got that lighter hobbywing brushless system. i went with the 23tooth pinion like you said and i got a noticeable increase in top speed with no loss in low end. with punch set at 7 and timing at 15 degrees it runs good with zero temp issues.

RC Qualifier
    I got a Hot Racing tranny case, I quite like how it looks in the pics. It seems to be pretty much a Traxxas Rad 2 tranny

One thing that I preemptively bought was an RPM motor guard and wheelie bar mount as the tranny case has no motor protection at all. But I wish I could find part #1989 (for the Rad 2) somewhere as I reckon that would fit...

I'm not a huge fan of the RPM wheelie bar and guard because they are really big, I mean really really big. Not bad for a slash, but it really looks out of place in a buggy.

As far as the weights I did that during the day, and the handling got better, more balanced, but there was still an issue with overall grip. I am told the surface will be fixed for the next meeting though, so that's good

EDIT: People have been discussing this tranny case (well the Slash version of it) here http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-racing-tranny
    Last edited by cunawarit; 10-15-2012 at 05:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    OK, here's the gearbox it arrived today and I couldn't wait to install it... despite the fact that I couldn't make it to the races due t unforeseen and unexpected issues.

Overall it seems like a very high quality bit of kit and actually overall lighter than stock by a few grams! My stock case came to 70g and this to about 65g. Sadly I only had an analogue scale to hand so I cannot be more precise than that.

The separate arm mounts seem very high quality, one of them was perfect and the other needed a little bit of work with the drill to free it up a bit.

I don't know if you all do this, but I always fit shims wherever there's room for reduced play:

I sand them down to the right thickness for friction free movement.

Incidentally, I ended up not using these:

They look kinda weird to me.

Fitting all my gears was a piece of cake, including my "vintage slipper", I realize some of you might not have seen what these old slipper clutches look like so here it is:

In the end it all fitted quite nicely, but I still need to install a bumper:

From what I have read here this tranny case is GREAT for cooling, so here it goes. I am turning up the timing all the way up!

Did I ever show the Team-C wing mount install with the RPM tower? I don't think so, here it is:

RC Qualifier
    Oh, and have I shown you the personal transponder?

RC Qualifier
    A couple more shots, this is the tranny without the weird blue bits:

Isn't that pretty much the same as that in the Hawk 2?

And a pic of the insides of the Bandit:

I've not really shared much of this before as my install isn't at all tidy

RC Champion
    holy looks nice there
    i like how you have taken the pic with a white back ground makes it look profesoinal

is weight still a problem cunawarit?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    I've gotten rid of some ballast, not carrying much... But occasionally I put a bit back on or take off depending on the surface. But overall I am not worried about weight.

As far as the pics I simply had white plastic where I was working to protect the surface and bounced the flash off the ceiling.

RC poster
    those blue bits are heat sinks for the motor plate they work well and help cooling I removed mine to apply some artic silver heat tranfer grease to them and reinstalled.I also applied transfer grease to the motor.

RC Qualifier
    I realize that's what they are meant to be, however, they were so far away from the motor that I thought that perhaps they were more for show than anything else. But if people find they work I am happy to give it a test and actually measure the difference.

RC Champion
    nice lookin tranny. take more pics once you get the motor guard on. let us know how it holds up to and if it handles differently.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    nice lookin tranny. take more pics once you get the motor guard on. let us know how it holds up to and if it handles differently.
    The default anti-squat on this is the same, and weight is nearly the same. So I reckon it'll handle exactly the same

But I'll get some more anti-squat on and see how that goes shortly. Need to decide what I will use for shims, may just buy Nitro Rustler ones... Or washers

RC Champion
    well at least you should be a little better on heat.

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    I got a Hot Racing tranny case, I quite like how it looks in the pics. It seems to be pretty much a Traxxas Rad 2 tranny

One thing that I preemptively bought was an RPM motor guard and wheelie bar mount as the tranny case has no motor protection at all. But I wish I could find part #1989 (for the Rad 2) somewhere as I reckon that would fit...

I'm not a huge fan of the RPM wheelie bar and guard because they are really big, I mean really really big. Not bad for a slash, but it really looks out of place in a buggy.

As far as the weights I did that during the day, and the handling got better, more balanced, but there was still an issue with overall grip. I am told the surface will be fixed for the next meeting though, so that's good

EDIT: People have been discussing this tranny case (well the Slash version of it) here http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-racing-tranny
    LOL good luck with that. That is possibly the hardest part to find next to the battery box used on the TCP/SRT. The SRT also uses that piece(1989 or 2398)and believe me...I'm hunting those down too.
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

Have you considered getting a actual true 540 size motor? You're motor uses a smaller rotor and that can be killing your overall proformance. I'm not saying get a Tekin with a 7.5t setup but maybe a a 10.5t or a 4600 castle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Have you considered getting a actual true 540 size motor? You're motor uses a smaller rotor and that can be killing your overall proformance. I'm not saying get a Tekin with a 7.5t setup but maybe a a 10.5t or a 4600 castle.
    It absolutely is in the list, the most common setup for buggies where I race seems to be 6.5T.

I have to admit I bought this setup when I was switching from brushed motors and I knew absolutely nothing about brushless, I didn't realize some were actually 380 sized motors in 540 sized cans, nor did I know there were sensored and sensorless setups. I simply bought the Etronix ESC and motor because it was affordable and had glowing reviews.

I don't know anyone on off road winning with this setup, but there's a guy with the same ESC and a 9T Etronix motor regularly winning in an on-road class, my theory is that it cannot be that sucky a setup but there's no doubt there are much better choices for off road.

Weirdly as well, for the good things I read about Castle systems online, I've never seen anyone use one at the track.

RC Qualifier
    LOL good luck with that. That is possibly the hardest part to find next to the battery box used on the TCP/SRT. The SRT also uses that piece(1989 or 2398)and believe me...I'm hunting those down too.
    I've just put on a stock Traxxas bumper and its OK. Not as nice looking as a race like guard like #1989 but much better than the OTT RPM bumper I first tried.

Yes sadly the older Traxxas models like the TCP/SRT are much better platforms then the current 2wd on the market. But RTRs is where the money is at. Honestly if you're doing a amazing job with this setup you should try hunting down a TRX-3 or a TCP basically the same thing for racing.

RC Qualifier
    I've seen a few RAD2s for sale lately, but not TRX-1s or 3s.

At some point I'll pick one up, back in the day I REALLY wanted a TCP.

I'm not doing an amazing job, but I am doing as well as people with similar skill level. In fact I'm the newest buggy racer at the club, so people who have been racing for a year or two more than me really. I'm new at this!

Look into getting a carbon fiber chassis for your buggy? But right now I feel your motor is holding you back. It's like turbo lag on a old Porsche lol.

RC Qualifier
    Look into getting a carbon fiber chassis for your buggy? But right now I feel your motor is holding you back. It's like turbo lag on a old Porsche lol.
    haha, probably. Top speed it isn't holding me back much, as you say what may be holding me back is the lack of throttle progression Emphasis on "may be" as in all honesty it doesn't feel that bad, and what I need more than throttle progression is a cool racing head. I've been 2.5 seconds per lap off the fastest guys (bloke supported by Schumacher no less) if I could keep that pace I'd do very very well for sure. The problem is that I can't, when the heat is on I lose my cool and I lose my speed.

I've been looking into some decent cheap motors for a while, right now the top contenders are:

1) Leopard 3650 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X76tsnO3yk)
    2) Reedy 540-SL
    3) Tacon 3650 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8mo-IY38g)

With my current ESC I am restricted to sensorless.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 10-22-2012 at 03:40 AM.

I was just reading through this thread, and I must say that you have done quite an impressive job with your bandit. However, every time I see something that adds weight I cringe a little. Have you looked at the ultimate race rustler? There are a lot of things that you have done that the Jang did, but his approach was all about reducing weight and making the rustler as light as the competition. On the motor a sensored setup would be the most beneficial and could allow you to gain some speed in turns and transitions with a smoother power output.

Even if you don't have a sensored esc, you can run a sensored motor on it without hooking the sensor wires up just tape over the plug to keep debris out. That way you don't have to buy a new motor when you decide to get the esc.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    rjm2519, the Bandit is lighter than much the competition. Most of the really fast guys have added weight like brass plates under lipos, servos, metal chassis, etc...

One of the fastest guys ads lots of weight (I can't remember exactly by how much, but his 2WD buggy is definitely heavier than my Bandit), this is straight from his setup sheet for a national event:

This guy is a great buggy and short course racer, in fact, he came third in the UK Short Course Nationals 2012. He is really a great driver and is running extra weights on the tracks I race both in his buggies and short course trucks.

I started out with your mindset, cringing at the idea of adding weight. Back in the 90s when I used to take the Bandit to the track, but not race I used to see cars with chassis that looked like Swiss cheese, that was the norm them.

Now the norm seems to be that people strategically add brass bits low down. I went through quite a tough and frustrating time trying to keep the car on the track without the extra 40g low down that I have. Grip levels are so high that you really can't corner without rolling over, you can dial in some understeer with tyres and camber changes but it ended up being much slower than it was with the low down extra weights.

And given that guys like the one above are running weights with their level of experience I have no reason to believe that I could come with a better tuning solution that they have. In fact, experience indicates the opposite.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the gearbox with the Traxxas bumper in place:

PS: I'm speculating here a little, but I think the light weight thing might be valid for guys who race on dirt and clay. But on very high grip carpet, astro, and grass low down weights help... It isn't just extra weight overall, it is weight in the very lowest part of the car to lower the CG.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 10-22-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Have you taken in the account for chassis flex? If the track isn't bumpy and alot of track you may want to actually stiffen the chassis more. We tend to run chassis with more flex on bumpy off-road clay tracks. But mean I personally feel letting the suspension do all the work and not the chassis. I had a RC10T4.1 FT with comes with composite chassis and suspension part it always feel numb and didn't response as fast in the turns as my old RC10T4 FT which was using all carbon fiber components and the box stock setup(except using inline steering axles). Not sure how the SRT will handle b/c it's even lighter and hardly any chassis flex what so ever then my old T4.