RC Racer

Has any one had this happen

I was doing some maintenance on my rustler and while I was at it I figured this would be a good time to open the Diff. and re-grease it.
    Everything was going goog I got all of the old grease out re-packed it put it all back together and everything was spinning nice and smooth. I re-installed the tranny back on the truck and everything still worked perfectly, however when I hook the drive-shafts and wheels back on I loose the differential (I hold the spur and turn one wheel and the other spins the same way).

I have gone through the whole process three times now(just to make sure I didn't miss anything), and every time the end result is the same.

has this happened to anyone else ad what was the solution???

RC Qualifier
    What did you pack the diff with?

That is not uncommon when you re pack a diff. Run it a few times and it will loosen back up as the grease gets forced out of the diff and breaks down a little.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    That's just it the diff was plenty loose until I hooked the axles back and I can't figure out what could happen in the step of tightening the axles down to the tranny that would "lock" it up like that

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    That's just it the diff was plenty loose until I hooked the axles back and I can't figure out what could happen in the step of tightening the axles down to the tranny that would "lock" it up like that
    Sometimes, the gearcase halves can put some unnecessary pressure on the diff once you tighten it back up. Reinstalling the axles isn't what usually 'locks it up,' but nobody usually puts the axles back on until the gear case is reinstalled back on the chassis.

Remove the gearbox from the chassis with the axles still attached and see if the issue still exists. BTW, when you went to screw the 2 gear case halves together, did they fit together fine, or did you have to 'close the gap' by tightening screws?

RC Racer
    Gearbox halves fit togather and the last time i did it i checked the diff after assembly of the trans, after reinstalling on the chassis after attatching the axles and everytime the diff was fine until the last step

RC Racer
    Tore it apart again this morning and put it back together and this time everything is working beautifully.
    Just wish I could figure what ws causing it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

F-R : to answer yor earlier question it is packed with normal automotive bearing grease