RC poster

Problems with new upgrades, Please HELP! Thanks

Hello, I would first like to introduce myself as I am new to this forum and also to the RC hobby. My name is Keith and I am from Ohio. I have recently acquired a 1/16 Revo (model 7107)... I have recently purchased the "needed" upgrades for my revo. These include: Traxxas steel CVD's, Traxxas aluminum pushrods and toelinks, RPM A-Arms front and rear, RPM axle carriers front and rear, front and rear aluminum chassis braces.

After researching a litttle and watching some youtube install videos about some of the upgraded parts i have purchased. I started with the rear end, dissasembling everything and have finished the rear end with the steel cvds, aluminum pushrods/toelinks, rpm axel carriers and rpm arms but run into a problem..

The problem I am having is when i put my stock wheels on the back, they are rubbing/hitting/touching the rpm axel carriers??? Did I do something wrong? Is this a common problem with the stock revo wheels? I put on some different white wheels i got from thetoyz.com to see if they rub and and they do NOT rub...?

Please fill me in with any input, advice or answers you guys may have!
    Thanks in advance!

RC Champion
    You might want to loosen your camber and toe if you can.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

Welcome to the forum, Keith, and congrats on the great purchase you did.

I have seen many Mervs with RPM arms on them but never saw any binding with wheels. Can you make pictures of the place where they are binding?
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Its not the arms that are causing the "binding" if you want to call it that. It is the RPM axle carriers that are touching/rubbing the inside "spokes" of the stock wheels when they turn...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarhorst View Post
    Its not the arms that are causing the "binding" if you want to call it that. It is the RPM axle carriers that are touching/rubbing the inside "spokes" of the stock wheels when they turn...
    Try and post some pics if you can
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

About the only mistake you can make, is mounting them upside down by swapping the left and right ones. Could that be the case?

RC poster
    Unfortunately, I cant post pics at the moment... I will try to take some tomorrow night after I get off work. I really appreciate your quick responses though! Like I said, the aftermarket RPM axle carries on the rear hit the inside "5 star spokes" of the stock wheels when i turn them and sounds like click click click click as the wheels turn ( I have not finished installing the parts on the front, but id assume they are going to do the same).. When I put on my aftermarket white wheels/tires that are a little deeper dish, the axle carriers do not hit anything? I think it could just be the stock wheels, but I believe I have seen the RPM axle carriers and stock wheels on other peoples mini revos? Correct me if im wrong or if that combination does not work?

thanks again

how can you tell the difference between left and right?... there are no indications of one being left or right on the RPM axle carriers???
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-10-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    how can you tell the difference between left and right?... there are no indications of one being left or right on the RPM axle carriers???
    OR they might be upside down.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC poster
    Ok sorry but, I just looked at it and forgot that I did not tighten the 2 small hex screws (the ones holding the "caps" over the pivot balls) all the way because I dont have the right size allen wrench... It seems the inside of the wheels are hitting the screws that are sticking out 1/8 inch, so that could be causing it... Does anyone know for sure what size (mm) allen I need to tighten the tiny hex screws that come with the RPM axle carriers?

Upside down would mean my toe links and pushrods wouldnt match up to where they need to be correct? I already ran into that problem and corrected it lol .. Live and learn eh
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-10-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    Upside down would mean my toe links and pushrods wouldnt match up to where they need to be correct? I already ran into that problem and corrected it lol .. Live and learn eh
    Somehow my brother managed to put on a knuckle upside down, so idk lol.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC poster
    Does anyone know for sure what size (mm) allen I need to tighten the tiny hex screws that come with the RPM axle carriers?

I think you need a 1.5mm hex for the screws. The screws that hold the pivot balls will probably cause the binding if they are not tightened well. You are right (read my signature ).

RC poster
    I got the screws in 3/4 the way by using a needle nose pliers just so the pivot balls were secure and so I could continue the progress of upgrading the parts...

the revo comes stock with a 1.5mm hex wrench, correct? If so, that one is too big... I have all the original tools that come with the merv and they are all too big, my guess is the hex wrench i need is between .5mm and 1.0mm, if somebody could confirm this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.. I checked RPM's site and couldnt find anything that related to the size I need for the RPM axle carriers.

As far as I know, RPM uses metric, so then it will be 1mm.